Thanks Matrix! (Steam)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Firov

Thanks Matrix! (Steam)

Post by Firov »

I've noticed a happy trend with Matrix games lately. More and more of their games are becoming available on Steam, such as Distant Worlds:Universe and Close Combat:Gateway to Caen. As a user who likes to organize all of my games through that platform, I think this is absolutely great!

I had always thought that Matrix was dead-set against Steam, and I considered that their greatest flaw, but I'm happy to see that I was wrong. It's good for the many millions of Steam users and I'd argue it's going to be good for Matrix in the long run too as their games gain a much wider audience.

Anyway, thanks for listening to your audience, Matrix, and bringing so many of your great titles to Steam!
aaatoysandmore

RE: Thanks Matrix!

Post by aaatoysandmore »

As long as they don't go with that DRM mess I'm fine with it also. Though I won't be buying any of their games on Steam I'm glad they can use other avenues to get their products out there and noticed.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

As long as they don't go with that DRM mess I'm fine with it also. Though I won't be buying any of their games on Steam I'm glad they can use other avenues to get their products out there and noticed.

As in all business, it’s going to come down to a cost benefit analysis. Paradox said they’d never let their customers down when they first started going over to Steam, but eventually they said screw the old customers we have lots of new Steam customers and it’s cheaper to go 100% Steam so they did. I hope Matrix doesn’t do the same, but business is business, so my guess is if they do really well they’ll follow suit and us old grognards will have to find a new forum to haunt that caters to us.

GoG has a real opportunity to scoop up a lot of Matrix loyalists if they do pull a Paradox, though they are more like Steam than Matrix as they don’t create any new game themselves. So perhaps someone will do a new business startup and become the new Matrix. One thing I’ve learned in this industry, nothing lasts forever.

Jim
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Or is loyal. I'm with yah but Matrix would be the last straw for me. We've sunk our years and time into them trying to prop them up and to do something like that to us would be a cold fist in the mouth to me. As long as they sell both places no problem they can put all their games on steam if they want, but, to go exclusively to steam like CA did with the total war franchise and now of course Paradox and lest not forgert Stardock and Brad's lies about Steam and gamers rights, it's just disgraceful and unhonorable and they should be branded as such.

I know one thing, I don't buy a single game of CA's or Paradox's and now Stardock's at full price anymore and usually wait on the bargain bin sales before buying them because of Steam. As I get older it's a lot easier to resist temptation too.

If anything was BORG; STEAM is. Absorbing everything and everybody out there. Who's to fight them? Who's to stand up to them and say no more? We need a "hero" (bonnie tyler)

Now, you're making me wonder about these weekly sales, are matrixgames/slitherine just prepariing us for a Steam move where everything gets discounted eventually?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We are absolutely not going to stop releasing games through our sites. Steam is another shop window. We did this before Steam and we'll be doing it after they've gone :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
JDM

Post by JDM »

And by way of some indication of our long term views we have now created the store in French, Spanish, Italian with Germany coming in August, does that sound as if we have any plans to abandon our audience
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Does a wolf in sheeps clothing mean it will not eat the sheep? [:'(] I might remind you that Brad with Stardock said and promised the same things, but did he keep his word when money mattered more?
PipFromSlitherine

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

Does a wolf in sheeps clothing mean it will not eat the sheep? [:'(] I might remind you that Brad with Stardock said and promised the same things, but did he keep his word when money mattered more?
I guess you'll just have to see what we actually do in future, rather than extrapolating from decisions made by other people at other times running other companies...

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here
operating

Post by operating »

Personally, I found Steam a PITA, with all kinds of interruptions and BS that I don't get dealing direct with Matrix or Slitherine, and by the way, Matrix has built themselves an excellent Forum site.

IMO, Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

I guess you'll just have to see what we actually do in future, rather than extrapolating from decisions made by other people at other times running other companies...

Cheers

Pip

Amen to that!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
wodin

Post by wodin »

One big problem with games that hit Steam is they will soon by up for pirate download. Whilst when just with Matrix it's unlikely they will get pirated. Checking out my hunch I've found Distant Worlds Universe already cracked and uploaded for starters. I bet there was no DW pirate version before.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Cheers

Pip

That's kewl, as I said I have no problem with you using Steam to get your products out there.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I'm happy to see Matrix titles popping up on Steam. While I'll continue to buy through the Matrix site, it's nice to have the auto-updates and one click re-downloads via Steam. I also really appreciate the fact that upgrading to Universe will only cost me $10, very nice!

I just checked and Distant Worlds is creeping up the Top Sellers chart on Steam, currently sitting at #7 behind big name titles and ones on sale. I wonder if people activating their Matrix version counts as a copy "sold" or not. Either way, it's cool to see Matrix rubbing elbows with widely known titles like Day-Z and Dark Souls. I'm glad you guys went with a reasonable price, no one was going to pay $100 for it all at once. I know over on reddit DW gets brought up in lots of 4X discussions, but people shy away from the steep entry fee.

Another happy note: This morning I noticed there were not yet any reviews up, but now there are a couple dozen, all glowing with praise! I think I'll add one myself.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

One big problem with games that hit Steam is they will soon by up for pirate download. Whilst when just with Matrix it's unlikely they will get pirated. Checking out my hunch I've found Distant Worlds Universe already cracked and uploaded for starters. I bet there was no DW pirate version before.

That's really false.

The first horrible fact is there is zero defense against piracy. I have seen it so often it is really naive in the extreme to waste any effort on DRM. Next horrible fact is niche gamers are not somehow noble based on some belief they would never betray their own.

Skill in the finding is the only barrier in being able to do the locating. It's all out there. And yes, you can find copies of every single Matrix Games title. Yes sadly, all of them. There is nothing thrilling about that fact, but fact it is.

I support Matrix Games and Slitherine with my purchases, because they are not treating me like crap in the mistaken belief that crappy treatment based DRM does a damned thing. That elicense garbage from Battlefront for instance, it is no barrier to their games either. It is not preventing you from getting John's games either. Pirates pirate for the kick of defeating your code. They don't want your game, they just want the accolades from their fellow hackers that they beat the DRM yet again.

I like that Slitherine Group offers free Steam keys to all their store purchased games.
There is zero reason for a Matrix Games or Slitherine fan to buy the game from Steam, because buying here means you get there for free. Buying on Steam means you only have the Steam release and yes, if something ever happens to Steam, you have nothing.

I support any method of Slitherine Group getting MORE cash. I see Steam as nothing more than an advertising scheme. It's Steam means to me. If they went solely to Steam, sure they would still be IN business, but they likely would trash the hell out of a lot of loyal business too.

Other than Civilization V and expansions, I really don't value any of my other Steam purchases. I was FORCED to go to Steam for Civ. It wasn't preference though. I have bought the physical copies in the store though. I at least don't need to rely on downloading the file to install. If Steam died, I suspect my physical copies would be worthless. That would suck.

But all of my Slitherine Group purchases are where they belong..... safely stored in redundant locations around my various devices. I'd need to have my apartment burn to the ground to lose my wargame collection. And after that event, I think it would be about 20 years before I got over it, or likely never, as I am unsure I'll be alive in 20 years :)
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

That's really false.

The first horrible fact is there is zero defense against piracy. I have seen it so often it is really naive in the extreme to waste any effort on DRM. Next horrible fact is niche gamers are not somehow noble based on some belief they would never betray their own.

Skill in the finding is the only barrier in being able to do the locating. It's all out there. And yes, you can find copies of every single Matrix Games title. Yes sadly, all of them. There is nothing thrilling about that fact, but fact it is.

I support Matrix Games and Slitherine with my purchases, because they are not treating me like crap in the mistaken belief that crappy treatment based DRM does a damned thing. That elicense garbage from Battlefront for instance, it is no barrier to their games either. It is not preventing you from getting John's games either. Pirates pirate for the kick of defeating your code. They don't want your game, they just want the accolades from their fellow hackers that they beat the DRM yet again.

I like that Slitherine Group offers free Steam keys to all their store purchased games.
There is zero reason for a Matrix Games or Slitherine fan to buy the game from Steam, because buying here means you get there for free. Buying on Steam means you only have the Steam release and yes, if something ever happens to Steam, you have nothing.

I support any method of Slitherine Group getting MORE cash. I see Steam as nothing more than an advertising scheme. It's Steam means to me. If they went solely to Steam, sure they would still be IN business, but they likely would trash the hell out of a lot of loyal business too.

Other than Civilization V and expansions, I really don't value any of my other Steam purchases. I was FORCED to go to Steam for Civ. It wasn't preference though. I have bought the physical copies in the store though. I at least don't need to rely on downloading the file to install. If Steam died, I suspect my physical copies would be worthless. That would suck.

But all of my Slitherine Group purchases are where they belong..... safely stored in redundant locations around my various devices. I'd need to have my apartment burn to the ground to lose my wargame collection. And after that event, I think it would be about 20 years before I got over it, or likely never, as I am unsure I'll be alive in 20 years :)

Good post DSW and you probably hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would question is how much more piracy will be involved with Steam as a distribution site intead of this quiet place. I must say I've never been offered a pirated game of Matrix or Slitherine all the time I've been here, but, on Steam they come in droves. I just put the culprits on ignore or block as soon as I find out what it is. I don't condone piracy but I will download an old SSI game or whatnot that I do own on my Commodore 64 or Amiga 500 or PC. I bought the game once I do not believe I should have to buy it for every system I use to run it. It's not my fault developers and computer builders couldn't get their act together and learn to make one machine and one OS that fits all. At least with gasoline it will run on any car past or present. I'm not sure about premium though. Same with new consoles that seem to come out like rabbits breed every few years. It's just a money grab, programmers and designers and developers could just upgrade what's already out if they wanted to and make intergrated "parts" if they want to upgrade something. Why should I have to buy a new console every 5 years or PC? Just upgrade the components it's not like we need the body of a Mercedes to drive down the same road that an old 57 Chevy can.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Good point to some extent triple A.

Often they just start all over again with games, that took a number of years to beat in to shape, all so they can just need to do it all over again.

Drives me nuts that I can't just get a re tooled Steel Panthers right friggin now. I mean, it took them quite a few years to beat Steel Panthers into what it is now, that being SPWAW 8.4.something. I don't really need a NEW Steel Panthers, I just want to start the game and it function completely as well as it did in 2000, without the geeks kill list required. I don't want to use DosBox dodges or Virtual Machine tricks. I want it to operate as if it was made yesterday. We all know, if Gary put it a new version on sale tomorrow, it would be doing the patch routine till about 2017 regardless. Just about every good game wanders through about 3 years of tweaking if it's any good at all and anyone likes it at all. To my knowledge, the only games not being patched are often not being worked on because no one is playing them, because no one cares for them any more.

It's not that I want newer greater games, often I just want my old games back in operation.

I can't play Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat without a lot of luck, fiddling and then it still doesn't really function like it did on day one. And I have yet to see anyone make a PanzerBlitz/Leader looking WW2 combat platoon level wargame even half as good as it was.

Every time I go looking to play a wargame, there is a 1 in 3 chance it will be Steel Panthers in some flavour or another (because I like the SP Camo versions too), when it isn't Battle Academy. Part of the beauty of Battle Academy is the game runs like a charm eh. It's fast and it's fun and you don't need a manual to learn it. Nor does the interface require any learning. Steel Panthers was the same. They made quite the massive emanual for it, but, I never had to read it. Most of my other wargames, they are a burden to master.

My list of old wargames I can't play, without either running an old machine (which I don't have) or in an old OS (which I also am not able to do thanks to not wanting to dedicate a modern machine that won't like it), is a long list.
I wish our developers would just take out the old classics and over haul them for a new OS and hardware, and stop deciding they can make the next mega hit.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I have to agree with you there. I've been programming (a little) since 1982 so I can work a boot disk or bypass a problem on some games. I use emulators and lookup how to's a lot online. Most of my library I can still play. Albeit without sound sometimes. I feel your pain though and I think it's terrible that we have to upgrade so often and then when we do the "same damn" games that weren't so great in the first place keep being remade. (I'm not a fan of Close Combat, so shoot me if you are) I have a little more tolerance for Panzer Corp but like you I enjoy Battle Academy but now BA II is on the way (god please help us) Also FOG II is on it's way. Had a terrible AI the first time around I can only imagine this time and I'm sure we will read "improved ai" I've learned that that means they changed one number in the design and it improved how the ai looks in the new game.

I myself do have several setups from past to present. No longer do I have a Win95/98 setup but I do have XP, Vista, WIN7 and WIN8 which is the worst pos I ever encountered. I hope it doesn't become mandatory someday as I just won't go that route.

More developers and designers should be like Mark Walker and ask the community what they want. Start with the majority but do not forget the minority. Make both their suggestions if it comes down to two majors. Sure the ultra minority will probably never see their game and I can accept that. I like a game called Sacrifice and Freelancer and nobody seems to want to do a II of those great games. But, of course it doesn't keep me from wanting and asking.

Erik said a long time ago there would be a Panzer Command: West Front game. (where is it? Is it still in production? why no forum for it for suggestions?) Iain once said there will be a "LEGION II" where is it? is it even in production? Where's "Combat Leader" that I know had nearly 5 years of production and then poof it was gone. Now maybe PIP can see why I'm skeptical on a mere "statement of honorability".
wodin

Post by wodin »

False??? Well as soon as it went on steam it was up on a certain website more or less straight away.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

False??? Well as soon as it went on steam it was up on a certain website more or less straight away.

I think he means that it was up on some pirate site long before Steam but Steam just makes it that much more popular to steal now.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I think he means that it was up on some pirate site long before Steam but Steam just makes it that much more popular to steal now.

Exactly. If a game isn't available for free over on a certain website, it's only because of the game's obscurity. There is no DRM out there that can't be hacked. The hackers do it for the "fun" of it, and they have all the time in world.

Return to “General Discussion”