NOOB Query: Computer controlled convoys

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

chazz

NOOB Query: Computer controlled convoys

Post by chazz »

It's a simple question, really.

When I place a convoy on computer control, give them a port that I want them to go to, do they simply head to that port, load fuel/cargo/whatever and return to the original home port? Or do I have to order them to dock and stock manually for each convoy?

I (sort of) understand the automatic convoys system. I place selected ships in the autoconvoy system and the AI sneds them on supply runs to the bases where I have auto convoys turned ON.

n.b. I DO use the search function, I don't always find the specific answer. Thanks for your patience, mes amis.
=================================
Thank you for your replies and advice!!

"If you're in a fair fight, then you didn't plan it properly" - Nick Lappos
dr.hal

RE: NOOB Query: Computer controlled convoys

Post by dr.hal »

Your questions are fine Chazz, you need to be careful of the answers however!

As the name implies, once you designate a port of call and a return port, along with what the convoy is to carry, then over to the computer it goes.... it will last for as long as you went it to. Unless of course a nasty surface raider or aircraft come along..... which CAN happen.... Hal
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

Computer control of TFs, just say NO!

Like Hal said, nasty thing can happen to those you don't control.

CS convoys are different and operate within a limited autonomy, but you set them up and they do exactly what you tell them to do. Computer controlled, is just that, computer controlled and the AI is not that smart.

Do as you wish, it is your game and your fun, but there are those of us who never (yes, I know never is a strong word) use a computer controlled TF.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I've only used it once and that was for small tanker convoy. It did fine, but I have a tendency to micro manage. So I too just say no.......
chazz

Post by chazz »

pardon my ignorance, but what is a CS Convoy?

And where on the convoy screen do I tell it what to carry? Is it already determined by type? i.e. "tanker" convoy?

The convoy in question is being asked to run fuel between the Middle East and Colombo. Pretty safe at least for now.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: chazz

pardon my ignorance, but what is a CS Convoy?

As per 6.2.11 of the manual, it stands for "continuous supply" convoy.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And where on the convoy screen do I tell it what to carry? Is it already determined by type? i.e. "tanker" convoy?
There are two things a CS convoy can carry, liquids (fuel or oil) or solids (supplies or resources). The first type is only done by liquid carriers (normally tankers) and the second by anything else. You as the supreme leader and chief mucky muck, thus tell the convoy what to carry based upon the abilities of the ship(s) within the convoy; solids or liquids and which type of each. I don't believe you can mix and match them. A convoy has to be dedicated to one type of solid or liquid. But here I'm not sure as I don't use it.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal
There are two things a CS convoy can carry, liquids (fuel or oil) or solids (supplies or resources). The first type is only done by liquid carriers (normally tankers) and the second by anything else. You as the supreme leader and chief mucky muck, thus tell the convoy what to carry based upon the abilities of the ship(s) within the convoy; solids or liquids and which type of each. I don't believe you can mix and match them. A convoy has to be dedicated to one type of solid or liquid. But here I'm not sure as I don't use it.

It can carry different types on the going and the coming back legs. I think this was in an early patch. So, Resources, home, supply outbound for example. It's a button on the right side of the TF interface screen.
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Didn't know that Bullwinkle, thanks. Learn something new every day... I thought that the convoy would have to return "deadhead" (isn't that the trucker's term????). Hal
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Didn't know that Bullwinkle, thanks. Learn something new every day... I thought that the convoy would have to return "deadhead" (isn't that the trucker's term????). Hal

It's the button on the right, near the bottom: "CS for _____"
The Moose
chazz

Post by chazz »

You guys rock. Thanks for the replies.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”