GD1938 Game 11

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

GD1938 Game 11

Post by cpdeyoung »

The responsibilities of command are heavy, and I have decided to keep a intermittent set of notes, perhaps I will live to write my memoirs.

When the government made the decision that the world was too dangerous to not prepare for conflict I was chosen to lead the program. Now, besides being in charge of His Majesty's defences the French have also chosen to allow me to coordinate joint planning. How do I feel? I am burdened, but not overwhelmed.

I am very nervous about the state of the world. Germany seems to be massing forces on the border with France. I have allowed British troops to sail for the continent, a deeply unpopular step. In the Far East the French have concluded an alliance with the Chinese, who war against the Japanese. Japan sent a note protesting that the Chinese will not respect the European positions in Indochina, but, of course, made no assurances that they would have any respect for the Empire either. Although I sometimes have nightmares about Chinese flowing over the mountains into northern India, and Chinese fleets and air forces assaulting the Royal Navy, I must put these dreams aside and deal with daytime matters.

The Empire disarmed after the Great War, and I find myself wanting more of everything, but with straitened resources to provide such.

The Soviets are offering alliances to Germany, Japan, and China, which might mean they are peace loving, but might also mean they are jockeying for position in a coming conflict. If they succeed in gaining alliances with these powers who border them they will be free to send military missions and "trade" officers in and Soviet intelligence operations should be helped immeasurably.

Each month of peace will surprise me, pleasurably, but I do not have great expectations.

Alan Francis Brooke
March 1938
LJBurstyn

RE: GD1938 Game 11

Post by LJBurstyn »

DAM I just had a long message lost for some reason. Wish I could remember what I said.
But right now my eyes hurt too much to retry to post it.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Another month of needing more of everything.

Despite the best efforts of so many people across the commonwealth we are advancing slowly. The war in China has drawn volunteers from both the French and our boys. I think they see this war as they saw the Civil War in Spain, and there is little I can do to stop them. The purchase of surplus equipment, completely demilitarized, is unusual but legal. The Japanese are a modern, sophisticated nation and surely understand that this is not government sanctioned, but only the result of individual acts of conscience.

I have encouraged the Foreign Office to seek better relations with Spain. The French remain close to the Franco government, and that clever statesman guards his neutrality, but I hear we have some chance of bringing him over.

A small party of RN officers has visited their counterparts in Japan. They found the Imperial Navy to be in fine repair, but the welcome was not as cordial as we might have wished. There were once very good feelings between the two services, but politics seems to have clouded the issues.

Our troops are training hard, all across the world I hear of exercises.

Alan Brooke
April 1938
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: LJBurstyn

DAM I just had a long message lost for some reason. Wish I could remember what I said.
But right now my eyes hurt too much to retry to post it.

Probably because you were too slow typing, if you take too long you can't post anymore so all your typing goes poof into thin air. Do yourself a favor and copy your post if you find yourself typing a looong answer, thataway you can always paste it again in a new post.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

So many hurdles to jump before real defence production can commence. This month it was labour unrest, which caused me to bering engineers back to England to help in construction. All about me I see signs of impending conflict, but our citizens have not woken up to this reality yet.

The Anschluss was a big achievement for the little man at the head of Europe's most powerful state, War with Germany, and quite possibly Italy, would be nation-draining. We are not as strong as we were in 1914, especially France which has certainly not gotten over the effects of the Great War. The French staff has been remarkable for their cooperation and I think we are as ready as we can be for conflict, if it comes. The Germans have been amassing troop transports in their northern ports. No Briton wants to see an enemy build ing shipping for troops, but the Royal Navy and RAF are ready, and likely beaches are already defended in Great Britain. I think the transports may reflect a German desire for the weaker nations to the North. The Scandinavian countries and Denmark are ripe for an assault, and I wonder if one is contemplated.. The French feel their Polish allies would be a significant problem for the Germans, but I am worried about the Soviets.

In the Far East we watch the war between Japan and China with interest. The French report on the progress of this very large conflict. Japan sent us feelers about alliance, but we cannot see anything to be gained from such convoluted diplomacy. France is China's ally, and we cannot become Japan's. I feel that Japan covets our Empire, and would like to prepare for a conflict with them. We do not want war there, but Japan may move against us. We remember their attack at Port Arthur and know they would not give any warning before striking.

Alan Brooke
May, 1938
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Wondering where the turn is?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

It is with Larry, as far as I can see from the dropbox. I PMed him,. I hope he is just temporarily away...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

We were sailing along fine there for a week or so, then dead stop.

It's time to either nominate a replacement player or move on.

Anyone else in the game have an opinion on this ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I prefer to let alittle more time pass, but yeah, it is frustrating when something suddenly grinds to a halt when it was going smoothely. I would under normal circumstances recommend that the Axis player, gets control over Japan, when someone is playing Japan all by his lonesome.

I am unsure how many players back need to redo the turn to force a change. I am assuming that since it is an 8 player game, that it is either 2 or 3 players, back.. So perhaps Germany can reset his password, or if not, I can do it with China. For me its just a question of when or if it is to be done.

EDIT: I see Larry has sent a turn now. :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Finally some good news, and from the Far East where Thailand has joined the Allied cause. They do not have a lot of troops, or production, but they have a crucial location. India and Indochina are now connected by land. We do not know the stance the Japanese will take, their intentions are a mystery, but we are sure they have the capability to menace the Empire in the East. The French tell us the Japanese and Chinese are waging a fierce battle, which has the positive side that the Japanese will be busy, and the negative side that Japan will want more resources to prosecute their struggle.

I am worried about the enigmatic Soviets. They are facilitating the Axis with alliances that cannot be in their best interests in the long term. Perhaps I worry too much but I suspect there are short term payoffs for the Soviets, and these payoffs may well come at the expense of the Poles.The bloody lands between Russia and Germany are in for a rough time again I am afraid.

Our quest to increase production goes slowly. I find many who are convinced that the Axis is a threat, but too many are still thinking only of profit. Winston Churchill is a very hard man to stomach, but he is firmly in the camp of preparedness, and thus is my ally. He is stubborn, opinionated, and rather brilliant. I expected him to favor the Royal Navy, but he actually seems more concerned with the RAF. I really wish we could build multi-product factories so we did not have to decide where to place our production emphasis. Every branch wants its priority needs satisfied first, but this cannot be.

I visited with the French Fourth Army, based on the Spanish border. The commander is a pleasant young fellow, anxious to turn his troops east. I had some great birding in the low mountains, and got to spend some time along the Mediterranean coast also. I found many folk in the countryside as interested in birds as I am.

Alan Brooke
June 1938
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I am pleased that the political will to build a factory complex producing armour has been found. It will mean less, and more expensive, autos but I feel tanks will be vital in any coming conflict. We need them in North Africa and in France, as well as other parts of the Empire. The tank is part of our heritage, but the Germans and Soviets have made it their own, and we must reclaim the technology. It will be awhile before we can build another factory.

In the Far East we are beginning to integrate Thailand into our defence complex.

The Australians are pushing a road across the desert and along the coast to link Perth to the eastern cities. I wish I could count on ANZAC troops for other parts of the Empire, but with the Pacific so unstable we will be leaving them in their home countries for now.

At parties I am being buttonholed about threats to the Home Islands. It is not a full blown Invasion Panic but the fear of strikes from the air is palpable. It will be hard to counter this without leaving a significant presence here. There are already some calls to bring the BEF back from France I will resist these vigorously as France is a vital partner, and will be on the front line.

An automobile struck, and killed, a rabbit in front of the house. As I was walking in with the mail I saw a magnificent hawk feeding on the carcass, the hawk spread its wings with a wuff, wuff and flew off leaving the remains behind. The hawk could have carried it off, but did not. I am trying to see an omen in this,

Alan Brooke
27 June 1938
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Some armor is rolling off the production floors, but we would like more production, and of armaments besides tanks. Still it feels good to see our troops exercising on Salisbury plain. The Royal Navy is also on exercises, with the Canadians participating. The Admiralty has been reporting naval activity, production, by the Germans. There are very heavy restrictions on travel around the north German ports. What intelligence we have been able to gain suggests the Germans intend very large amphibious operations. We have had to stiffen defenses in the Home Islands due to this threat. Between the RN, RAF and the new tanks we think any invaders will have a hard time of it. Still it is disconcerting to have such a situation.

Things are proceeding slowly in the Far East as we strive to connect the positions in French and British territories there. Some roads are being built to facilitate defense, and commerce. The Japanese and Chinese are in heavy combat, and the French are trying to help their allies, short of war. We are being strictly neutral, and stay away from any deliberate contact with Chinese forces. Some accidental contact does occur, and we get an idea of what the French are trying. We do not want the Japanese to have any claims against Great Britain. Hong Kong is right in the middle of battles, which swirl around it.

I saw Churchill at a dinner party, and he is furious at the Germans. He wants the Admiralty to implement a naval blockade, not of commerce which would require a state of war, but of naval vessels. He wants any German naval movements obviously shadowed by Home Fleet watchers. He admits that submarines will avoid this, but commented that subs cannot invade Britain.

Alan Brooke
25 July 1938
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Germany notes with interest that the only Countries talking about and preparing for war are blaming the German State for THEIR actions.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Germany is filling the airways with invective denying any intention to do harm. In staff I always emphasize the need to consider capability and never intention. Intelligence tells of a German Panzer factory, this gives them more capability, what their intentions are only they know. It would be criminal of me to ignore German capacity.

We have a new tank factory of our own. This is wonderful news. I was hard pressed to choose between armour and artillery. There is nothing like an armoured strike to push invaders back into the sea. At some point I envision a British tank force on the continent capable of doing battle with panzers. The French have been wonderful about the BEF, which is tiny compared to their forces. We hold an important position along the coast where we can draw supply and support from the RN.

The Arabian kingdoms have drawn much closer to us, and I am able to control their resources. Their forces are small, but the oil is so important.

The King came by to visit the command. He was very pleased with the exercises the new tanks performed. We were all proud, and gratified by the visit.

Alan Brooke
22 August 1938
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

And yet Britain claims a single tank factory built in response to their factory is offensive while they have built two.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

What wonderful news out of Spain! The Left has gained the government, and Franco is enjoying a lovely home in Paris. he was willing to go to Africa, but no one wanted to see him there again. Given the passions of the Civil War he is lucky to be alive. He is actually quite popular, and his bowing to the will of the people and stepping down is the act of a statesman. Word from Italy and Germany tells of deep unhappiness at the outcome. The French are integrating their defenses with Spain, and the 4th Army has taken positions to prevent the Germans from dropping down upon the coasts of France. The German maritime forces bother us all.

We had to send some armour to the Far East as the Japanese attempted a coup in Holland. At first this seems absurd, but they have been lobbying for some time in Dutch circles. Their mantra is that Holland's future lies in the East, and that cooperation with Japan will spare them the ravages of German attack. The coup was a bold move, and we are glad it failed. We have no doubt that this will encourage the Japanese to look to other means to gather Dutch resources, and we can see a scenario where Germany, victorious over Holland, gives the far eastern possessions to Japan. We would not be happy with this. We would not be happy to be at war with Japan in any case.

I went to Salisbury to see the new half tracked tractors operating with tanks. The halftracks were pulling artillery, anti-tank guns, and flak, and it was a pleasure to see how ground captured by tanks was rapidly made secure by the swift transport. The infantry appreciates the thicker skin too. This is the vehicle to give us a nice combined arms division.

Alan Brooke
September 19, 1938
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Everyone is nervous. I have read about invasion panics, but never really lived through one. Where ever I go there are people asking me what is the latest intelligence. In truth there is very little to tell them, and what frustrates me the most is that I don't really know much. We do not know where a single panzer is. We do know they are not in Munich where spies report only shells of units, mere cadres. If they are sitting in transports then I wish them all violent sea sickness!

The Chinese are having a rough time of it with the Japanese. Reports from Hong Kong tell that the lines have bypassed the city and not a Chinese unit is to be seen. The French tell us that the Chinese are fighting well, but are just not strong enough to hold the Japanese Army off. If the balloon goes up in Europe we may be fighting the Japanese soon. Thank God for the Royal Navy. One knows how the nation felt at the time of the Armada. Between the Germans, Italians, and Japanese the RN has its hands full. This is a time of danger.

The Spanish are integrating nicely into our defenses. I still cannot get over the delight of hearing they were with us.

Alan Brooke
October 17, 1938
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The War mongering British are busy building offensive Armies while Germany remains firmly at peace. Italy notes with concern the vast British fleets at Malta.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Germans are claiming their peaceful intent, but we are still worried. Once again it is incumbent on me to look at their capabilities, and it is perhaps worse that those are shrouded.

I have another concern. In the Far East, despite brave resistance by the Chinese, the Japanese are fighting for Canton. Very little stands between the Japanese and Hanoi. We are at peace, but such a fragile peace. I need more of everything, everywhere.

There are two very large states that have not thrown their hats in the ring. The USSR seems interested in the south, while the USA is presumably building up from a very peaceful start,

Alan Brooke
November 14, 1938
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Of the two Countries, Germany and Britain which has massed a fleet on their neighbors borders? Which has built multiple tank facilities? Which has announced it has sent troops to foreign Countries?

Return to “After Action Reports”