How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

big dawg

How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install

Post by big dawg »

I patched 2.0 over 1.4. I should have done a clean install but....

How do I save all the custom scenarios I have downloaded when I delete the game & do a fresh install?

Thank you!
Crossroads

RE: How to save downloaded scenarios when doing new install

Post by Crossroads »

Hello dawg! I am afraid there is no easy answer to do that. Sorting files by date will probably not help, as some of the custom scenarios have been around for quite a while.

One thing you could do is to first copy all scenarios to a separate folder. First all WF scenarios to their back-up folder, then all EF scenarios to another back-up folder, then all RS scenarios to a third back-up folder.

Then, as you've installed a clean 2.00 install, select all those scenarios, one game folder at a time, and copy them back to their respective game folder, but not allowing any overwrites.

Then, only the files that did not come out with 2.00 would be copied there. Those would be the custom scenario files you've downloaded separately.

Anyone else with a better idea?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

THANKS!
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

If you "uninstall" instead of "delete" only the stock files get removed no? You should be able to re-install the game to the same location and still find your downloaded scenarios intact.

Maybe JTCS is different but you should rarely "delete" an installation, always "uninstall".[:)]
simovitch

Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

If you "uninstall" instead of "delete" only the stock files get removed no? You should be able to re-install the game to the same location and still find your downloaded scenarios intact.

Maybe JTCS is different but you should rarely "delete" an installation, always "uninstall".[:)]

Well yes that may be true, usually...not always. So I would go for the solution Crossroads described that's how I would do it. I would probably make a double back up, so back-up folders such as Crossroads described and than even a further backup on a external disc.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

... and then do an uninstall, not a delete. [&o]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

This was a great help & all of you were VERY kind to take the time to reply. I will start the UNinstall tonight.
big dawg

Post by big dawg »

ORIGINAL: Josh

ORIGINAL: simovitch

I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU. I COPIED THE FILES INTO A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. HOWEVER ALL THE CUSTOM FILES WERE THERE JUST LIKE YOU SAID AFTER I UNINSTALLED THE GAME. No deleting. Just uninstalled it. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”