Somewhat OT: Rising Sun, Falling Skies

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dr.hal

Somewhat OT: Rising Sun, Falling Skies

Post by dr.hal »

Folks I have to tell you that I am REALLY enjoying Cox's Rising Sun, Falling Skies. The style reminds me of the first history book I really enjoyed reading, Tuckman's Guns of August. RSFS's readability is really great. Although I'm only about 1/5th of the way though I find myself really getting into it. But I know the outcome and thus it is frustrating. The Prince of Wales just took her first torpedo hit (which really knocked her out) and during the lead up I kept hearing myself say "Phillips don't set sail, north Malaysia is a lost cause, you can't DO anything, stay put!" But Cox lays out Phillips' reasoning and it is "rock solid" given the knowledge at hand for the admiral and the pride of the service. So I invite you to read it and "enjoy" the story..... despite knowing the ending and the tragedy served all around the allied side. Hal
warspite1

RE: Somewhat OT: Rising Sun, Falling Skies

Post by warspite1 »

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

tm.asp?m=3575298

[&:]
Yes Warspite, I read that thread, however few actually comment on the book in question (and yes I too noticed the mistake about the 16 inch shells hitting the Hood, but that aside I think it is a great read so far). But now that the book is readily available, I was hoping for some more relevant views on it.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

ORIGINAL: warspite1

tm.asp?m=3575298

[&:]
Yes Warspite, I read that thread, however few actually comment on the book in question (and yes I too noticed the mistake about the 16 inch shells hitting the Hood, but that aside I think it is a great read so far). But now that the book is readily available, I was hoping for some more relevant views on it.
warspite1

And as I said, a few niggles aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. As you will also see from some of my posts, I was also hoping for some views from people on this forum who no doubt know more about this campaign (and the Pacific War generally). Hence my invitation for comment, in particular, on MacArthur, Hart, Hirohito - none of which elicited any response whatsoever.

Thanks by the way though to those who were kind enough to respond on their thoughts on the book.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”