Continued Matrix Customer?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Missouri_Rebel

Continued Matrix Customer?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

This summer we will be spending almost of our days at our cabin deep in the woods. I get phone reception from my provider and plan to use it to follow what games I'd like to purchase/update but won't have a proper internet connection. I was hoping to go to a town about 45 minutes from my cabin where I think I will be able to find public internet access for those times.

Can one safely purchase and then download games/patches at public hotspots?

I do have an ipad that is on my phone plan but it is of no use for saving files and transferring them to my desktop?

Are there any tablets that work with AT&T that have some kind of removable Zip drive I could use to get files? Do the windows tablets perform like a limited laptop in that role?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance. All advise welcome.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Terl

RE: Continued Matrix Customer?

Post by Terl »

If you get phone reception could you not also use a mobile hotspot for wifi? Verizon and T-Mobile have them and some are even pay as you go like Tracfones I think. With that you could have a pc/laptop with you and be all set.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

This summer we will be spending almost of our days at our cabin deep in the woods. I get phone reception from my provider and plan to use it to follow what games I'd like to purchase/update but won't have a proper internet connection. I was hoping to go to a town about 45 minutes from my cabin where I think I will be able to find public internet access for those times.

I if you've bought a game using PLIMUS then they already have your CC number, so I don't think you resend it when you make subsequent purchases. So that should reduce the risk of using a public hotspot

Are there any tablets that work with AT&T that have some kind of removable Zip drive I could use to get files? Do the windows tablets perform like a limited laptop in that role?

Most Windows 8 (I dont' know about windows RT) tablets have mini usb ports that would allow you to connect a usb thumb drive, but you need a cable with regular usb on one end and mini on other to connect or just transfer the files wirelessly to your laptop or desktop if they have wireless connection. Most of the tablets I've seen don't have a wired network adaptor, just wireless.

Rick
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Thanks for the answers. I'm going to check out what exactly a hotspot is and if I can set one up for when I need to dl my files.

Can anyone answer whether dling games that run up to about a gig at the most can be done at public wifi locations. Sorry, I don't know the correct terminology.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Ok. Looks like I will be able to use my iPhone as a hotspot. I only have a 10 gig plan so will use it very niggardly.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Ok. Looks like I will be able to use my iPhone as a hotspot. I only have a 10 gig plan so will use it very niggardly.

Beware. Using an iPhone as a hotspot eats lots of bandwidth.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I do have an ipad that is on my phone plan but it is of no use for saving files and transferring them to my desktop?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance. All advise welcome.

mo reb

The more important question is, can one download "Brother against Brother" beta-testing patches at such places...
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: z1812

Beware. Using an iPhone as a hotspot eats lots of bandwidth.

Do they eat bandwidth beyond what one might download?

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

The more important question is, can one download "Brother against Brother" beta-testing patches at such places...

I wish I had time but boy do those maps look impressive. I plan on getting this when you guys get it done. Maybe this year?

Finally got around to sanding and finishing the hardwood floors this weekend at the cabin. The pics don't do it justice.

Attachments
photo12.jpg
photo12.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 43 times
photo33.jpg
photo33.jpg (99.58 KiB) Viewed 43 times
photo52.jpg
photo52.jpg (127.92 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

a touch better from the wife's phone

Attachments
photo12.jpg
photo12.jpg (149.84 KiB) Viewed 43 times
photo23.jpg
photo23.jpg (145.45 KiB) Viewed 43 times
photo33.jpg
photo33.jpg (122.19 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Zap

Post by Zap »

When you said cabin. I was picturing log cabin type walls (a little dark inside) Heck those pictures show off a Luxury Cabin/mansion LOL
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Not much luxury...

Attachments
1n.jpg
1n.jpg (736.28 KiB) Viewed 43 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

But plenty of nice sunsets

Attachments
opopop.jpg
opopop.jpg (740.44 KiB) Viewed 43 times
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Looks like a nice way to spend a summer. Screened in porch to keep off the mosquitoes -- can you see the lake from the back porch?

You might see what it would cost for DISH satellite internet. Though with the nice sunset there - maybe just update and download patches when you get to town!

Rick
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

The screened in porch does a wonderful job of keeping the bugs in. Lol.

My property is on the lake. Just set up the poles and listen for the bell to ring from the front porch. I thought about sattelite but too much for how little I'd use it
Orm

Post by Orm »

Your place looks just lovely. [:)]

When I was young I spent a couple of summers in a house that looked like a small version of your cabin. I had a lot of fun but I remember that my parents had to work all the time to improve the place. It was close to the sea but the cabin was in a wooded area so stones and trees everywhere outside the cabin. Hence a lot of work was required to make a garden but I remember how happy my father was when he planted the first potatoes to grow there.

Do you plan to have some sort of garden? Maybe to grow herbs or vegetables?

Looking at the picture of your cabin makes me hungry. I can well imagine some of all the nice food you are going to make this summer. [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I wish I had time but boy do those maps look impressive. I plan on getting this when you guys get it done. Maybe this year?

Yes, with the maps done (other than tweaks and corrections), scenario work and testing both actively happening again, I can't see a good reason why we wouldn't have it out this year.

I agree with those who had something more rustic in mind before seeing those photos.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

That sounds wonderful Orm. 2 weeks ago I built extensive flower boxes from timbers with pressure treated 4x4's at ground base. In total about 45 lineal feet of beds. My wife intends to use one such bed for all her herbs. We use a lot of Rosemary and Thyme but I think she has about 10 different herbs. Theres just nothing better to cook with. I'll take some pics after the missus gets dirt in the boxes and plants what she has.

As far as a garden, we will only be doing a small one this summer and not one at our house. I have 6 tomato plants and will add 3 yellow squash, a zucchini plant, and a few peppers. Maybe next year we'll do more? But yes, I can relate to the amount of work your parents put into the place. Oddly, I find relaxation often times while working. Then again, I do most of the work in spring and late fall so the summer is filled with fishing, river trips (a short ride through the woods), hiking,etc. We certainly know how to cut loose. I'm not a rich man (monetarily speaking) and have worked with my hands for most of my life, but I realized years ago that I could blow my money at the tavern or use it for something with lasting value. Life here is short and it goes fast.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Happy for you Missouri. I like your healthy outlook on life, as well. And for what you accomplished in your life. American exceptionalism on display. Not rich but happy and free.
I like your ATV. can you enter water with it? The barbeque ready to receive a group of [;)] matrix forum members?
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well I'm not sure about the exceptionalism. My life is filled with many mistakes, some more recent than others. I'm just a guy who went to work and raised a family as I saw fit. But I've been blessed to have good health so far and to have married a strong woman of Southern stock whose focus has always been on her family. What more could a man like me want?

I guess if I am proud of anything at all it would be the fact that no matter how busy our lives were, we almost always sat down together for dinner to talk about our day. Those bonds are not easily broken. And at the expense of sounding like a self righteous schmuck, try to help those that are in need. The smallest gestures can go a long way for others.

I agree with the happy and free part very much. You can't have one without the other.

The ole atv? Not so good in deep water. My sister in law once drove it through a creek much deeper than she anticipated. It was about a 4 mile walk through the woods during a moonless night soaked wet.
Zap

Post by Zap »

American exceptionalism =

1.A commoner who wants to improve their lot in life, committed to freedom, morality, and the betterment of humankind.
2.Guided by God's Commandments. An individual seeks to follow divine will. At the same time, though, hard work, temptation part of our lives.
If one fails they strive to improve themselves.
3.have faith in the values and principles that caused the nation to be founded.

That's, who I gathered you might be. Was I mistaken?

Return to “General Discussion”