Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles - 4/24/2014 4:24:56 AM   
Zecke

we can see in the looses plane panel: the IA tried to defend in 1942 Los Angeles with corsairs and attacks the japan CVs wich kills all the zeros, but Los Angeles was taken by japan finally on 10/7/1942

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles - 4/24/2014 4:29:40 AM   
Zecke

Imagen of los angeles at 10/7/1942

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 2
RE: IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles - 4/24/2014 6:19:12 PM   
engineer

Well, WitP is a historical game.  But this seems "exploity" to me.  Usually I mod my scenarios in three ways to make an invasion of the lower 48 States closer to the historical challenge it would have posed. 
  1. Add the historical coast artillery that defended the major US ports along the west coast to the OOB.  This goes up to 14" rifles as I recall.
  2. Adding low point value bases (Barstow, Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Sacramento, Monterrey, Redding, Eureka, etc.) along the US interior & coast to provide back-up US bases/airfields.  If the game starts show a potential attack, the Allied player can at least develop the bases and stack up what air power he can muster so a strike by the Kido Butai has to contend with a continental scale attack instead treating LA as a near island.
  3. Litter the US bases with ahistorical militia divisions (squads slightly weaker than 1941 US Army with a few mortars and little artillery and fortifications to lock them in place - sort of like KMT corps).  This reflects the absence of emergency reinforcements a landing would provoke (which is covered in AE), and the presence of large numbers of rear area military personnel outside organized units, tens to hundreds of thousands of Great War veterans who would object to foreign invasion, and the general US gun culture where gun ownership and marksmanship was widespread. A landing would plausibly provoke a levee en masse of poorly disciplined light infantry that would complicate a Japanese invasion. 

Most historians agree a Japanese invasion of the continental USA was implausible.  Stock WitP really doesn't treat this contingency seriously.  The points above don't really alter the play balance much since if the Japanese don't attack the West Coast, the units just sit there for the whole game.  I usually tinker on the VP to make sure that the extra US bases don't make it harder for a Japanese 1942 autovictory by lowering other "safe" Allied victory points or boosting some countervailing VP on the Japanese side of the ledger (e.g. Nanking or Peking).

< Message edited by engineer -- 4/24/2014 7:22:15 PM >

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> IA attack with corsairs in 1942 defending los angeles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI