Help with "On to the Round Tops"

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

decaro

Help with "On to the Round Tops"

Post by decaro »

I'm having trouble scoring in Gettysburg's GB07 "On to the Round Tops," which is preventing me from going on to the next nearest Confederate scenario.

According to the GB07 scenario info, I'm supposed to swing left of the federal positions. Immediately to my left is Devil's Den, which isn't much of a challenge as the Union canon is still limbered, but the wheat field with unlimbered Union canon beyond Devil's Den is a "kill zone". There is another victory marker above little round top, but the marker on it's bigger brother disappears soon into the game, so how do I proceed to win this confusing scenario?
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
simovitch

RE: Help with "On to the Round Tops"

Post by simovitch »

Try the right hook instead. Get one regiment and a leader moving double time up to Big Round Top to grab those points. And bring your artillery, supported with a few brigades of infantry to the lower slopes, and turn the barrels northward to pound little round top and devils den while moving in with the rest of your corps.
simovitch

RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

This is one of the most widely discussed scenarios, this link has most of them listed:
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/comman ... d-overview
Designer - Scourge of War
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Try the right hook instead. Get one regiment and a leader moving double time up to Big Round Top to grab those points. And bring your artillery, supported with a few brigades of infantry to the lower slopes, and turn the barrels northward to pound little round top and devils den while moving in with the rest of your corps.

The operation was a success, but my points died: I took both round tops and pushed-out any Union troops from Devil's Den, but I still failed the scenario!
decaro

Post by decaro »

The third time was the charm -- major victory!

Even when you have the right plan, in SoW you have to be lucky as well!
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

Not too dissimilar to real warfare hu?
ORIGINAL: Joe D.

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Not too dissimilar to real warfare hu?
ORIGINAL: Joe D.

After reading about this battle and watching numerous films, re-enacting Gettysburg gives more realism to its terrain than just looking at 2D topographical maps.
NBForrest

Post by NBForrest »

Greetings all.
New player here seeking advice.

I can NOT conquer objectives....

I get the right commander there...I (eventually) get enough troops there and can make the dumb SOBs STAND STILL for a few minutes....but as SOON as the correct troop number is achieved (with the correct commander in place)..the damned clock stops and the objective icon goes "out".
Then I have to maneuver my commander around again to get in the right place and as soon as the numbers are "right", the icon goes out again immediately.

I NEVER NEVER NEVER have been able to "take" an objective..I can SWEEP the ENTIRE damned area of enemy troops but still can't get the objective, so I "lose" the scenario.....
Leffe7

Post by Leffe7 »

Hi NBForrest

When you look at the map ("M") and hover above the objective you can see (among other info), the radius of an objective, how many men are needed, how long you need to stay and if is a one-time (Waypoint) or continuous objective (Hold).
It doesn't matter which of your officer is standing inside the radius. The difference is that all subordinate units of that officer would receive a possible bonus (Morale/Fatigue/Ammo). So it may be better to put the highest officer there.
The objective counter is reset if too many enemy men are inside the radius. IIRC ontop to the needed troops you will need twice the number of enemy men insde to still hold the objective.
If it still doesn't work, please post screenshots of your game, including the minimap where one can see the enemy units.
QA Scourge of War: Waterloo
NBForrest

Post by NBForrest »

Thank you Leffe7. Appreciate the response.
I just bought 2nd Manassas, too and have the exact same problem...I can get troops there but they never stay long enough..and when I override the AI and force them to stay, and as I move the commander until the counter reaches the right number...then it "goes out" again...

I realize it's something I'm not grasping about the game. I'll keep at it...but dammit..if I sweep the field of enemy troops that should be a "win", period.
NBForrest

Post by NBForrest »

ORIGINAL: Leffe7

Hi NBForrest

....The objective counter is reset if too many enemy men are inside the radius.

I believe that may be the problem, now that I think about it....
Thanks very much. Great game, isn't it?

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”