Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sandbox vs. Victory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Sandbox vs. Victory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sandbox vs. Victory - 4/19/2014 11:33:32 PM   
Osito

I was wondering how many people play the sandbox (i.e. no victory conditions) vs a game with prescribed victory conditions.

What got me thinking about this was that although I have always played with victory conditions, I have almost never played through to victory. In fact, when I'm playing this game, I barely even care about 'victory', per se, I'm more interested in the playing experience. For me, this is one of those games, where the playing experience is more important that trying to 'win' in the conventional sense.

Just wondering what others think.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 4/20/2014 1:03:57 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sandbox vs. Victory - 4/19/2014 11:43:20 PM   
Shark7

I prefer sandbox myself. Game goes on as long as I want it to...or at least until I conquer every last alien empire in game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 2
RE: Sandbox vs. Victory - 4/20/2014 12:04:30 AM   
Icemania

I also play with victory conditions but rarely play through to victory. Generally I lose interest in a game once:

(a) My empire is well ahead of the other empires
(b) After the Pirates are under control and/or exterminated
(c) After everything on the map has been found and also utilised e.g. all ships discovered and repaired etc.

It would be great in the mid to late game to have many more events (and variations thereof) to help maintain interest. Hopefully Universe enables this in mods.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Sandbox vs. Victory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI