Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

asteroid field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> asteroid field Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
asteroid field - 4/18/2014 3:59:52 PM   
Azorn01

I have come across an asteroid field which has..the best set of resources I think I have ever seen...tons of things I need and all extremely high %.

I see that I can build mining stations on them, which is great, however my question is.. are the asteroid fields any different than planets? Will the resources in the field deplete/ run out? Is it a good move to build mines in an asteroid field in general?

Thanks a bunch.
Post #: 1
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:03:44 PM   
ASHBERY76

Don't really see the need too.Metals are not rare.

(in reply to Azorn01)
Post #: 2
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:36:56 PM   
Dexter

I don't bother building mining stations on asteroids. If you have a spaceport at a planet close by, same or neighbouring system, your private ships will mine there just fine.

And yes, I do believe resources can deplete, I have seen it happening on planets, would be kind of weird if asteroids would not deplete.

Greetings,

Dexter

...saving the galaxy!

(in reply to Azorn01)
Post #: 3
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:59:36 PM   
ASHBERY76

Deplete is a event and not some tracked element.

(in reply to Dexter)
Post #: 4
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 5:54:35 PM   
pycco

deplete is an event, as Ashvery76 said. if you don't have the resource then yes i would.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: asteroid field - 4/19/2014 4:12:26 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

Pretty much the only asteroids I ever pay any attention to are the specials with high Scenery bonuses. Build a Resort Base there that has a Mining component and all needs are met.
The average asteroids aren't worth building a station at for just the single resource. Let your Mining Ships take care of that for you.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 6
RE: asteroid field - 4/19/2014 8:30:51 AM   
Ralzakark

The disadvantage asteroids have is that they have only one type of resource, usually metals. But you can usually get multiple metals at barren rocky planets, so a mine there will get you multple resource types.

Especially at the start of a pre-warp game location may be more important than mining efficiency, so if the only nearby source of a metal is an asteroid then build a mine on it. You can always scrap it later. If you are plagued by pirates then keeping your mines in a few systems which you can defend is a useful tactic, and again asteroids can be useful for this.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 7
RE: asteroid field - 4/21/2014 3:12:35 PM   
ReadeB

Ice asteroids are the only ones I've mined directly. Found a 99% Dilithium Crystal asteroid. Nice.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> asteroid field Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI