Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

asteroid field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> asteroid field Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
asteroid field - 4/18/2014 3:59:52 PM   
Azorn01

I have come across an asteroid field which has..the best set of resources I think I have ever seen...tons of things I need and all extremely high %.

I see that I can build mining stations on them, which is great, however my question is.. are the asteroid fields any different than planets? Will the resources in the field deplete/ run out? Is it a good move to build mines in an asteroid field in general?

Thanks a bunch.
Post #: 1
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:03:44 PM   
ASHBERY76

Don't really see the need too.Metals are not rare.

(in reply to Azorn01)
Post #: 2
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:36:56 PM   
Dexter

I don't bother building mining stations on asteroids. If you have a spaceport at a planet close by, same or neighbouring system, your private ships will mine there just fine.

And yes, I do believe resources can deplete, I have seen it happening on planets, would be kind of weird if asteroids would not deplete.

Greetings,

Dexter

...saving the galaxy!

(in reply to Azorn01)
Post #: 3
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 4:59:36 PM   
ASHBERY76

Deplete is a event and not some tracked element.

(in reply to Dexter)
Post #: 4
RE: asteroid field - 4/18/2014 5:54:35 PM   
pycco

deplete is an event, as Ashvery76 said. if you don't have the resource then yes i would.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: asteroid field - 4/19/2014 4:12:26 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

Pretty much the only asteroids I ever pay any attention to are the specials with high Scenery bonuses. Build a Resort Base there that has a Mining component and all needs are met.
The average asteroids aren't worth building a station at for just the single resource. Let your Mining Ships take care of that for you.

(in reply to pycco)
Post #: 6
RE: asteroid field - 4/19/2014 8:30:51 AM   
Ralzakark

The disadvantage asteroids have is that they have only one type of resource, usually metals. But you can usually get multiple metals at barren rocky planets, so a mine there will get you multple resource types.

Especially at the start of a pre-warp game location may be more important than mining efficiency, so if the only nearby source of a metal is an asteroid then build a mine on it. You can always scrap it later. If you are plagued by pirates then keeping your mines in a few systems which you can defend is a useful tactic, and again asteroids can be useful for this.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 7
RE: asteroid field - 4/21/2014 3:12:35 PM   
ReadeB

Ice asteroids are the only ones I've mined directly. Found a 99% Dilithium Crystal asteroid. Nice.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> asteroid field Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI