Any chance of further development/improvement?

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

Commanderski

Any chance of further development/improvement?

Post by Commanderski »

I think the game engine is really great as it pretty much acts in accordance to the Soviet tactics during the time period of the different battles. The graphics could use some updating but otherwise I think this game plays better than any other of it's type.

Just wondering if there is any chance of further development or any upcoming improvements? Matrix put a lot of time and effort into the development and should continue with this.
rickier65

RE: Any chance of further development/improvement?

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

I think the game engine is really great as it pretty much acts in accordance to the Soviet tactics during the time period of the different battles. The graphics could use some updating but otherwise I think this game plays better than any other of it's type.

Just wondering if there is any chance of further development or any upcoming improvements? Matrix put a lot of time and effort into the development and should continue with this.

I'd like to be more optimistic, but realistically, it doesn't look likely for any significant development at this time. There are some mods in the mod forum that should be applied that fix a few issues with campaigns. They will be included if another patch is released. There are a couple of small minor issues that might be addressed with the engine in a patch, but I'm not sure when that would happen.

Thanks
Rick
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I wonder if there is anything being discussed to replace this type of game in development. I think that there is demand for a game like PzC, I guess we will all have to wait for the next SteelP when it eventually comes around.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

I wonder if there is anything being discussed to replace this type of game in development. I think that there is demand for a game like PzC, I guess we will all have to wait for the next SteelP when it eventually comes around.

I hope they are, but I don't know. I've been spending a bit of time in LnL's HoS forum, and one thing that has done is made me crack open PCO again.

Thanks
Rick
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

Rick, I'd like to see if you can get a good compile. Then we have a possibility of something, anything going forward.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius

Rick, I'd like to see if you can get a good compile. Then we have a possibility of something, anything going forward.

Yes, I can get a clean compile. I think I had fixed the bug with the knockdown, and did a compile to test that. I'm working on another project for 2-3 weeks, but perhaps I can take another look after that.

Rick

Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

What might there be to go forward with? What would be needed to get things moving, anything moving...? How might some of us be able to help?
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

What might there be to go forward with? What would be needed to get things moving, anything moving...? How might some of us be able to help?
The first thing would be to address some minor bugs like the tree knockdown. Or the hull down/ground deflection sound and notification. Nothing big.
panzer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The biggest thing would be to rattle Matrix/Slitherine's cage. Without A LOT of noise an update for this game is probably not going to happen. Read that as being slim to no chance.

I, along with the rest of the team, would love to go back and address this game system for the West Front.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

The PC system is unique in this genre in that it has a great deal of openness. If Rick can expand its flexibility then there doesn’t have to be a lot of top down invovlement. At least for small incremental development. Steel Panthers is still around and it isn’t even as open as PC.
panzer
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Rattle Rattle [:D] I'd be interested in this game... I had the first one and have been Eyeballing this for awhile.
Rod T DeMore
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

The PC system is unique in this genre in that it has a great deal of openness. If Rick can expand its flexibility then there doesn’t have to be a lot of top down invovlement. At least for small incremental development. Steel Panthers is still around and it isn’t even as open as PC.

This would be my goal. I did fix the knockdown problem. One issue I have right now is that I haven't been able to get the game to run in the debugger. If I can't get that working (Lorenz told me it works fine in debugger), then I can't make much more progress.

I do have to finish another project I'm committed to, but then I'll dedicate some time to this again.

Thanks
Rick
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

I do have to finish another project I'm committed to, but then I'll dedicate some time to this again.

Thank you!
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Looking forward to seeing what can be done. Thanks.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Well, no promises. I tinkered with this a while back but didn't get very far. But I'll give it another go.

Thanks
Rick
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Do we have somewhat of a list of things that might be in the realm of being fixed/addressed?
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I wouldn't get anyones hopes up too high right now. If Rick can get the debugger working then we can talk.
panzer
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I wouldn't get anyones hopes up too high right now. If Rick can get the debugger working then we can talk.

+1

Rick
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I broke away from another project and spent a few days on this but unfortunately, none of the things I tried worked. I'll post if that changes.

Thanks
rick
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Just outa curiosity, what happened to cause the debugger to not function?

Thanks for looking into it anyhow!!

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”