Purchase question.

Piercing Fortress Europa is a new game from veteran game designer Frank Hunter, which covers the campaigns of the Western Allies from July, 1943 through the end of April, 1945 in Sicily and Italy. Each area has its own map and time scale to best represent the campaigns for Sicily and Italy and the player is offered complete freedom, limited only by a historical order of battle and logistics model, to plan his operations and explore all of the many “what ifs” that the Italian theater has to offer.
stormbringer3

Purchase question.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'm leaning towerd a purchase but I'd like some thoughts on the replay value. I'll mostly play the Axis because I like to play the side with the most challenge. Is there the possibility of trying out different strategies, will the AI do different things from Campaign to Campaign or will the game mostly play out the same every time.
Thanks for any opinions.
Rosseau

RE: Purchase question.

Post by Rosseau »

If you already have the best Matrix games and an interest and knowledge in the theatre, I would consider it. But for what I've seen so far (a small scenario or two), I personally feel it his high priced at $40 and can't compare to games like DB: Case Blue. I enjoyed Guns of August more.

Now, throw in a patch with more scenarios (or xml editing - some kind of modding - which I know won't happen) - and I'd feel differently. It's like there's the "boot", there's the defensive line and go at it. Balance your supply, plan well and be rewarded. But I don't get that good feeling from the combat resolution yet. There are bugs that will be fixed, but I feel for the price we deserve a bit more.

It's hard to knock a one-man team like Frank. But should we lower our expectations due to that? The other problem is it's hard for the dev to invest more time in a game he may not be selling much of - so it's a vicious circle. I gave Frank the benefit of the doubt, but am not satisfied with my purchase yet. Again, I haven't even played through the complete campaign, so am probably missing the nuances that other players may be pointing out in the forums.
Killjoy12

RE: Purchase question.

Post by Killjoy12 »

I feel the same way. I'm curious about this title, but am concerned with longevity (both in terms of replay and support). I'm not sure how much this sold, as the forums are slow, and I haven't seen any reviews of it. The patch for it seemed to take a while to make it out after it was ready, which seems to indicate it's not a big seller. I'm waiting for a review or two before making a decision.

Return to “Piercing Fortress Europa”