Canals for ships and land units

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Erik2

Canals for ships and land units

Post by Erik2 »

Problem: How to create the Nord-Ostsee-Kanal which would allow ships to travel from the Atlantic to Kiel and also allow land units to cross the Canal.

Solution: I first duplicated the Fields landscape, renamed it Canal and checked the Sea Box. Then I created a duplicate of the Port location and renamed it Canal as well.
I found a suitable Picture of the Nord-Ostsee-Kanal and linked it to the new landscape.
Finally I replaced the Field landscape with the new Canal landscape along the Canal route and added the Canal location type where the road/Railways crossed the Canal.
As you can see from the screenshot, ships may travel between the seas and land units (note the Fallschirm unit)may end their move on the Canal.

Naturally I am quite happy about this 'outside-the-box' solution [:D]
Should be useful for ie the Suez Canal as well.

Attachments
NordOstseeKanal.jpg
NordOstseeKanal.jpg (142.47 KiB) Viewed 32 times
ernieschwitz

RE: Canals for ships and land units

Post by ernieschwitz »

Elegant solution, looks good. But have you tested to see what happens when landcombat occurs on it? I have a hunch that the unit that is in the hex will be destroyed.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Erik2

RE: Canals for ships and land units

Post by Erik2 »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Elegant solution, looks good. But have you tested to see what happens when landcombat occurs on it? I have a hunch that the unit that is in the hex will be destroyed.

No, this canal is in Germany so there will be no combat here in this scenario. But I think you are correct.
I have also increased the movement costs for ships and transports to reflect the lower speed (about 5 knots) allowed in the canal. Vessels need two rounds to cross between the seas. Subs are not allowed to use this route.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”