Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DBB30c question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> DBB30c question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DBB30c question. - 4/5/2014 4:41:58 PM   
General Patton

Has anyone who played DBB30c run into this. Out of approx 12 subs assigned to patrol the Sea of Japan, 4 of them decided to try a short cut and go through the pass at Hakodate. All four ran into mines of course. After they hit the mines I clicked on them to see where they were going and it was the sea of japan. By the way they hit the mines one at a time over the course of 3 days. All 4 made it back to port. Thanks guys, GP

win 7, AMD A8-352M APU w/ RADEON HD GRAPHICS, 1600Mhz, 4 CORES, 6 GB RAM

"I don't like paying for the same real estate twice" General George S. Patton
Post #: 1
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/5/2014 7:00:35 PM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Has anyone who played DBB30c run into this. Out of approx 12 subs assigned to patrol the Sea of Japan, 4 of them decided to try a short cut and go through the pass at Hakodate. All four ran into mines of course. After they hit the mines I clicked on them to see where they were going and it was the sea of japan. By the way they hit the mines one at a time over the course of 3 days. All 4 made it back to port. Thanks guys, GP

I don't think this has anything to do with the scenario. If you don't like the route they take you can use waypoints to set your own route. I don't think you can combine patrol zones with waypoints, but you can set a destination hex in the Sea of Japan and waypoints to get there, and then set the patrol zone after the sub arrives. Of course, you'll have to keep an eye on the sub, because when it needs to replenish it will probably take a straight route home.

IRL, the Sea of Japan was a dangerous place, mainly because of the mines protecting the entrances. The US discontinued sub patrols in the Sea of Japan for a time because of this.

-- Mark Sieving

(in reply to General Patton)
Post #: 2
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/5/2014 10:36:36 PM   
wdolson

How aggressive are the commanders? Aggressive commanders will take risks.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 3
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/6/2014 4:47:25 AM   
ny59giants

You first give them a "Destination" hex and use Waypoints to get there. This avoids the direct route they will take. You send them back to their home port, but set up their patrol zones from here. Its more micro-management, but I have to do it to get subs between Japan and China off Nagasaki.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/6/2014 1:42:51 PM   
General Patton

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

You first give them a "Destination" hex and use Waypoints to get there. This avoids the direct route they will take. You send them back to their home port, but set up their patrol zones from here. Its more micro-management, but I have to do it to get subs between Japan and China off Nagasaki.

Every game I have played, up until now, has not had this issue. But I have those sub at a more northernly base and will see what happens. * or so other subs took the more northern route and are on station. Bill, I don't remember the aggressiveness level of the commanders. Will compare later this am. I wonder, this is my first time playing this dbb30c scenario. Maybe its just a trait of that game.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/6/2014 3:00:33 PM   
Numdydar

No its not. This is a pretty common occurance in games. You have just been lucky up to now

I have had automated subs go through Sinapore before in stock games. Which obviously did not end well .

If you want to cut down on micro management in the game by using automated subs, you have to willing to lose a few to 'dumb' activity. To me it is worth the losses to do this. If you feel the losses are unacceptable, then you need to set the patrol zones yourself so you can control how they get there and back.

But it is definately NOT the scenerio as all the mods do is change the data in the database. They do not change any of the routines in the code base.

(in reply to General Patton)
Post #: 6
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/6/2014 3:44:59 PM   
General Patton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

No its not. This is a pretty common occurance in games. You have just been lucky up to now

I have had automated subs go through Sinapore before in stock games. Which obviously did not end well .

If you want to cut down on micro management in the game by using automated subs, you have to willing to lose a few to 'dumb' activity. To me it is worth the losses to do this. If you feel the losses are unacceptable, then you need to set the patrol zones yourself so you can control how they get there and back.

But it is definately NOT the scenerio as all the mods do is change the data in the database. They do not change any of the routines in the code base.

I have been using Patrol zones for a long time and never had this happen before. Maybe it was luck, maybe not. All of the other times the subs went up and around Hokiado, ( I think I spelled it wrong) with patrol zones. I stopped using auto sub patrol when my subs were sunning themselfves around New Zealand. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the mods and Haven't played a stock game in around 2 years. My hat is off to the mod teams. GP
Edit; In picture below is a sub on patrol zone setting returning for replenishment. Thats how it has been for me anyway.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by General Patton -- 4/6/2014 4:55:33 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: DBB30c question. - 4/6/2014 3:46:22 PM   
General Patton

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

How aggressive are the commanders? Aggressive commanders will take risks.

Bill

Bill to answer your question, they are around 60 or so. GP

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> DBB30c question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI