Disappointed at premature release

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

scout1

Disappointed at premature release

Post by scout1 »

World in Flames game has quite the following. A computer version (with 2 player) mode, most interesting.
Unfortunately, the system does not apparently favor pbem, but rather some form of active participation,
Netplay. Not my typical cup of tea. Read of some initial issues with Netplay, but purchased it anyways
given these would likely be solved in the short term ....

Unfortunately, all I have to show are 3 very cool manuals (and they are cool) and a game that can only
be played solo. The Challenges Steve is facing (and working his butt off) seem insurmountable.

More than willing to sell my manuals, CD (with serial number) to anyone interested.
Schnaufer

RE: Disappointed at premature release

Post by Schnaufer »

Pretty sure Matrix has stated serial numbers are non-transferrable.

Hope I am wrong again.

Have a good day [:)]
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

A thread, somewhere on this board, is showing that multiplayer is possible by using solo-mode and some cooperation between the people playing.

Perfect solution, no way. Acceptable for people who REALLY want to play the game? Your call, but I would say it is.

And since I have been playing the game since Day 1 of the premature release, I guess I don't really feel it was premature. For my purposes.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Even a premature release can result in some measure of pleasure. The Hardbacks are so good they are used in the bathtub by at least one player. [;)]
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

To the OP, what is wrong with just waitng? Of course if you think WiF will never be fixed to your satisfaction, then I can see your request. However, I bought it at release and have definately gotten my money's worth out of it already. However, I did not care too much about netplay although I am looking forward to when it is working now [:)]. But I was just happy to play it solitare in the meantime [:)]. YMMV.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Have been waiting ... With the intent of learning the basics via solo .....
Don't "believe" any Matrix release has had this many challenges .... Solo was never my cup of tea but figured it would be short term
Read so many positives bout the game, bought into it .... my call .... just don't see the solutions being short term for 2x or multiplayer at this point ....
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well if short term means a few weeks, then you are right. In a few months I think we will be there.

Please remember that the solitare bugs have to be fixed first, before any headway can be made in multiplayer. As a developer myself at one point, I feel pretty confident than once single player mode has been mostly fixed, the netplay issues should be resloved pretty quickly. They may not be, buth then I am an optimist [:)]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: scout1
Don't "believe" any Matrix release has had this many challenges ....
just don't see the solutions being short term for 2x or multiplayer at this point ....

Empires in Arms? Another Harry Rowland classic boardgame, that has also proven to be very challenging to adapt to the computer.

As for multiplayer, although EiA has worked ok via pbem (notwithstanding some bugs and the game host admin menu and such) it is still challenging to play a MP game with up to 7 players. Especially if players are in different time zones, different schedules, etc. The multiple phases (or impulses) and other interactive actions means lots of data exchanges, whether via email or online vis TCP/IP or NetPlay. For EiA, pbem games are taking about a month of real time to complete a monthly game turn. NetPlay could speed that up but you still need players online at the same time.

It's one thing to resolve the technical challenges and provide bug-free pbem or NetPlay capability, but at the end of the day you still have real people and their schedules who still have to sit down and play their turn. NetPlay may be fine for some, but sitting there waiting for an opponent gets old after a while. I'm kinda surprised MWiF isn't planning to offer pbem at all, but with all of the interactive actions it would be very difficult. Unless some compromises are made, and then you'd no doubt annoy more players than you satisfy.

Whatever. I support the efforts to make MP games playable. That's important, even though I'm most interested in playing versus the AI at my convenience, whenever that becomes available. In the meantime, playing solo and learning the game mechanics, when I can, is fine. I'm not disappointed with the premature release.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

interesting stuff Mr Panzer Grenadier, thanks. I have been hoping to read a comparison to what state EiA has reached. I remember when it came out, there were plenty of boos.

Personally, I suggested to ADG a long, long time ago that the buy-my-own-copy of the game might not be the best model in the 21st century. I think designing the game to run on a powerful server might have had some advantages. Then you only have to design for access via web browsers which seems to my not-all-that-techie mind that it could be easier from a technical and game play point of view, but I don't know; as compared to designing for the ever dynamically changing jungle of the various Windows OS on different machines, which could be causing some of the bugs that happen to some players but not others. ?

It would be a very different economic model as well. TCP/IP across the funky ways two PCs have to connect together in real time would seem to be more of a headache to program. ? And as it turns out, a server is required to do it anyway.

In the long run I hope to discover new computer wargames that break out of the I-go-You-go structure; games designed to harness the power of technology. Perhaps a game that plays in real time but the players can have some control over how fast the clock moves - very fast at night or in winter, etc. But I still like World in Flames too much and I use my limited free time to enjoy wargames on WiF still...
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

It's been a while, but wasn't Harpoon a real time wargame (with an adjustable speed)?
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

In the long run I hope to discover new computer wargames that break out of the I-go-You-go structure; games designed to harness the power of technology. Perhaps a game that plays in real time but the players can have some control over how fast the clock moves - very fast at night or in winter, etc. But I still like World in Flames too much and I use my limited free time to enjoy wargames on WiF still...
Command Ops and the earlier Panther Games titles satisfy all these requirements, have an excellent AI and give you a realistic chain of command instead of micromanagement...

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377 ... .the.Bulge.

Cheers, Neilster

Cheers, Neilster
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

And let's not forget the HoI, Crusader Kings, etc. titles [:)] 

Return to “World in Flames”