Greyjoy(J) vs. Obvert(A) - The air war in China- DBB, SLs, PDU OFF

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GreyJoy

Greyjoy(J) vs. Obvert(A) - The air war in China- DBB, SLs, PDU OFF

Post by GreyJoy »

Time for another ride.
This time i'll get back playing the beloved Evil Empire against the Allied dogs. My opponent will be Obvert. We've met each other already two times in London and in both occasions we've pondered the idea of playing togheder...now the right time has come cause we both ended our matches and have some free time.
We are still deciding rules etc, but basically we have agreed on the main decisions.... It will be a DBB game, with stacking limits, reduced cargo, PDU OFF and RnD ON.... Pretty tough!

I will need your help guys in order to plan the overall strategy... And, above all, to tailor the economy around a PDU OFF game...it will be my first time ever with PDU OFF...and it's not going to be easy as you know....

koniu

RE: Greyjoy(J) vs. Obvert(A) - Passions and Manure - DBB, SLs, PDU OFF

Post by koniu »

[:D]
Subscribed

Good luck.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Excellent! Look forward to this one.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
richlove

Post by richlove »

Excellent! Can't wait to see both sides of this one.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Thanks guys!

Ok, the HRs aren't set yet, but I'm already thinking about what could be my future expansion strategy.

Let's bear in mind that this is a DBB game with Stacking Limits, so the refineries don't produce supplies...

The key goal is now, more than ever, to secure the oil sources.

I'm leaning towards the usual approach:

- PH attack with KB minus Kaga
- Kaga sent to the SRA to form a super-mini-KB
- Blitz operations against Palembang and Malaya, while leaving Luzon pretty much bypassed.
- Would like to isolate Java, conquering fast Ambon and Timor and estabilishing just a couple of early AFs near Java in order to keep isolated Sosarbaja and Batavia.
- Solomons? Yes, probably the usual stuff... PM and Lunga... not Noumea I think...but not so sure yet.

What about the 2nd phase? India-Cylon or Northern Oz... hard to say.

In my game against Brad one of my major mistakes was to abandon Darwin and northern Oz too early... Think I'd go for a Northern Oz strategy...but not so sure yet.

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Looking forward to it!
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Banzai!

Definitely take and hold Darwin and NW Oz. Key terrain to deny the enemy and favorable ground for fleet engagements if the Allies try something too soon.
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

Good luck Nicola.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

Good luck Nicola.

Thanks Tom!!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Banzai!

Definitely take and hold Darwin and NW Oz. Key terrain to deny the enemy and favorable ground for fleet engagements if the Allies try something too soon.

Yes, I do agree, even if Darwin may become a trap if the allies make a real effort from Eastern and Western Oz.
But I have a couple of ideas in mind...

The other option would be India... Mr.Kane has told me he managed to grab a lot of supplies and fuel (some millions!) during his adventure in India in our former game... that wouldn't be bad...
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Banzai!

Yes, I do agree, even if Darwin may become a trap if the allies make a real effort from Eastern and Western Oz.

The other option would be India... Mr.Kane has told me he managed to grab a lot of supplies and fuel (some millions!) during his adventure in India in our former game... that wouldn't be bad...

Yep, India is land of goodies. However in case Oz adventure, I think you need capture Perth & Horn Island to secure Southern DEI. You will not need Darwin if you have Horn Island.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Subscribed!

Go get him!
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Subscribed!
+1

I've played a (part of) GC with PDU = OFF and I enjoyed it very much, never regret.
Good luck...Banzai!
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Banzai!

Yep, India is land of goodies. However in case Oz adventure, I think you need capture Perth & Horn Island to secure Southern DEI. You will not need Darwin if you have Horn Island.

India also has a lot of resources to take advantage of for a while while SW OZ has a little HI/LI in Perth and 100 Resources generating at Kalgoorlie.

On the OZ side if you take Horn Island, Merauke and Darwin he will have to do a lot of work before threatening to re-take Darwin.

veji1

Post by veji1 »

GreyJoy, could you tell us a bit how you think PDU off is going to impact the game and mainly how you play it ?
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

This is awesome! Good luck. Hope Erik will do an AAR too. [:)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Good luck.

Are the both of you playing for overt VPs and is auto-vic on the table? Or is this a "for the journey" game?
The Moose
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

If I was to play the Japanese now I would consider skipping the PH attack. Best case you sink a couple of obsolete battleships while leaving your carriers in an area where they can't support the critical advance into the DEI, Burma and perhaps India/Oz... Consider this
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
aztez

Post by aztez »

Good luck! Both of you have fun!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: veji1

GreyJoy, could you tell us a bit how you think PDU off is going to impact the game and mainly how you play it ?

This is a very nice question mate.

Well, let's say at first that i have no evidence. Not yet at least. My thoughts are just hypotesis...

However, based on what i'm seeing deeply looking at the upgrade paths of every single Group, the war outcomes should be very different from what we are all used to with PDU ON.

In 1942 we are all used to see a total and uncontested control of the skies by the japanese. As soon as Mr.Tojo arrive, all the IJA sentais get equipped with it, and the allied fighters are everywhere swept out of the skies.
The few P-38s that are around are just too few and they get swept to oblivion. The P-40 is outclassed and outnumbered in every theatre.
This dominion of the skies enables the empire to estabilish a strong perimeter everywhere. The Hordes of Helens and Netties complete the picture, keeping the allies (both on land and on seas) honest at least untill the Hellcats arrive (mid 1943).

With PDU OFF only 4x42 Sentais can upgrade to mr.Tojo...and only 1 to KI-44a...which means that at best you're gonna have 160 Tojos (a, b and c) only by dec 1942 (if you heavily research the Tojo line so to have both the b and c version). This means the IJAAF will have to fight for 12 months ONLY with KI-43 (most of the groups simply skip the IIb version and so to upgrade most of your Ic versions you need at least to get to the IIIa...which arrives pretty late in 1943).
The situation gets worse when you look at the IJN.
For the Whole 1942 and 1943 you have to fight ONLY with the A6M2, A6M3 and A6M3a. Half of the IJN won't be able to upgrade to the A6M5 untill you get the A6M2Sen Baku...which means early 1944 at best.
Even If you heavily RnD the N1K and J2M lines, only 4 groups will be upgradable to them by dec 1943...not much.

This means that, when the Empire will be hardly pressed for its expansion, it will have to fight only with A6Ms and Oscars...both offensively (sweeping bases against P-40,P38, Spitfires and Hurricanes) and defensively (CAPping against 4Es!).
The bombing army will also be much less strong, with most of the airgroups stuck with unarmoured Sallies till the end of the war and a very little minority upgradable to the armoured Helens. Lilys, Anns, Marys and Sonias will be needed in frontlines if you want to keep on advancing in 1942...

It is clear like a springtime morning that with these assets the Japanese cannot hope to do what they are used to in 1942.
Every advance past the very first months will have to deal with the allied air army. An air army which now is much more stronger than we used to consider...not because their airframes got better, but because they remain the same (p-39s, P-40s, P-38s, Hurricanes, Spit V) while the Japanese planes get worse.

So i really have to re-consider what is a reachable strategic target under these conditions...

Return to “After Action Reports”