From: Arlington TN U.S.A
First of all, don't use the random order AI generated designs, which put life support and habitation last, because without at least one of each a ship or base won't function. In my designs I add components in the following order :
1) warp drive if ship
2) command center
3) commerce center if base
4) damage control/ repair bots, and ecm if I have tech
6) Life support
8) the warp inhibitor at level 6 if I have the tech, prevents enemy ships warping close in.
9) if spaceport, medical center and recreation center
10) VERY important - energy collectors, which will put energy into the reactors and thereby to the shields as soon as the shields start building
11) Reactors - also for bases if advanced reactors are available specify them first, then at least one obsolete alternative reactor to improve odds of having SOME reactor early in build
12) Shields - Best capacity and recharge rate first, then for bases one of every kind of shield you have tech for because advanced shields are complex requiring various resources - it gets you SOME shield early in the build
13) Assault pods and point defense if tech available
14) Fighter bays for large warships and bases
15) fuel storage
16) docking bays and cargo bays if base
17) mining engines if base
18) proximity array,, combat targeting, other misc small specialty equipment
19) WEAPONS at last! But the point defense, fighter bays and assault pods have already been added. I put the ion defense, ion cannons, tractor beams, and gravity weapons early, then all the smaller weapons, then the larger ones in order depending on total size for ah type of weapon set.
20) last of all long range scanners for spaceports.
For ships it doesn't matter much if you put engines last of all, because it ain't goin' nowhere until built unless its spaceport is shot out from under it, in which case you have bigger worries than incomplete ships LOL.
Lonnie Courtney Clay
EDIT p.s. when you plant or conquer a colony, if you buy a base right away, then it gets some components free even if the colony has no resources. Unfortunately, and probably by Elliot's evil impulses, that list never includes a command center, and any ship or base MUST have a command center to operate...
< Message edited by Jeeves -- 4/16/2014 1:16:41 PM >
Live long and prosper!
Lonnie Courtney Clay