Major bug with losing items and abilities in saved games - solved!

This is a turn based fantasy game with a mix of strategy and RPG elements. It is in development at Crasleen Games, a small indie developer. The closest comparison would be a game like Battle for Wesnoth. We think its a great game from a small new studio and that this will be a solid base for Crasleen to build on for the future!
FroBodine

Major bug with losing items and abilities in saved games - solved!

Post by FroBodine »

I finished the first mission, got and equipped the dagger, bought some potions, and saved the game.

Then I played the second mission and lost. So, I quit the game, exited completely.

Later, I loaded the game up again and loaded my saved game. My character screen shows I have no potions and no dagger. the small Tarshan unit box at the top of the camp screen shows I have those items, but the large inventory display does not show them.

Then, when I go into the second mission, I have the two potions, but not the dagger. I have repeated this bug twice by doing the same thing.

Pretty major bug, if you lose items between saving and loading saved games. Now I don't have the dagger anymore.
FroBodine

RE: Major bug with losing items in saved games

Post by FroBodine »

Hmm, even worse, now when I load that saved game, not only do I not have the dagger, but the tooltips on ALL special abilities, spells, and potions are missing. There is only a little square where the tooltip should be.

AND, I cannot use any of the special abilities. So, I cannot freeze the water, cast lightning, anything. The game is unplayable now.

Has anyone else been saving between missions and having problems? This has happened twice for me.

One more update - this happens with autosaves, too. It seems that the saves work fine as long as you are still in the game. Once you leave the game, then run it at a later time, the saves get corrupted and my items are lost, and the abilities don't work properly, with the tooltips missing.

When will this get fixed, please? The game is completely broken for me right now.

Could this be because I installed to a directory other than the default? I installed to C:\Matrix Games\Drums of War.
Franchot

Post by Franchot »

I've just finished the third mission and haven't had any problems with missing items from saves. I equipped the dagger to another member of my army and equipped the Beserker's axe to the main character before going into the third mission.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Have you quit the game and restarted and loaded a save game between playing the missions? Did you install your game to the default directory?
jack54

Post by jack54 »

So far no problems with the saves...I've installed in the default directory but that really shouldn't matter. I use my own save each time; I haven't used the autosaves.. I save after equipping everyone following a mission.

I have saved and exited the game totally. I thought maybe the issue was after a loss but I lost my last 2 tries and it still loads ok. [:(] Sorry that this is no real help!

Edit: I always right click and run the game as Administrator (Windows 8.1)
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Franchot

Post by Franchot »

Yes, I've quit the game and restarted between the missions. I have not been using the auto-save game files when I restart. I made a saved file with my own chosen name--that is game file I restart with.

Yes, the game is installed in the default directory.

Is is possible that your initial installation of the game is corrupted? Have any of your saved games worked properly? You could just re-install the game and see what happens. (You're barely at the start of the game at this point....)

(On a side note, I replayed that first mission five times in an effort to save ALL of my allies, but the archer always ends up getting killed. I'm thinking I'm not very good at the game (even at the lowest level [:)]) or he's meant to be killed because these beginning missions serve as a kind of tutorial with pre-planned consequences.)
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I tried reinstalling to the default directory, and my save games still get corrupted. My own saves and the autosaves both don't work. I lose the dagger, the stores are completely empty (no potions to buy at all), and none of the special abilities work, ranged shooting, lightning, ice, charge, nothing. They stop giving me targets to choose from when I activate the ability.

This is totally strange, and my game is unplayable. I will try running as administrator now to see if that helps. I am on a pretty high end Windows 7 64-bit machine, playing on Hard mode.

Hmm, just a thought. You say you save after equipping. I think I am doing that, too, but I will try again. If I am saving before I equip, then it's still a problem, because when I reload, the dagger is completely gone from the inventory, and I can't even select it to equip again.

This still does not explain the abilities completely not working and the tooltips disappearing.
Franchot

Post by Franchot »

Yes, the tool tips not appearing is wrong. And you should be able to buy potions at the store.

Just another guess...the game file you downloaded from Matrix is/was corrupted? Maybe try another download of the game file from the Matrix server and then a fresh install from that file. (Post your problem in the tech section and see what solution Matrix offers. Good luck.)

By the way, I'm on a Windows 8 64-bit computer.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Just one more thought; have you shutdown your computer totally since you installed the game. I have had to cold start after installing some games; they just never ran right until I did.

The only other thing would be a fresh download. A pain...I know

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I am playing now as administrator, so we'll see if that helps. If not, I will try our suggestions, jack. The download is no biggie. It's only an 85mb game. Tiny.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Nope. Nothing works for me. I lose all artifacts, all tooltips, all descriptions in each of the characters pages when you right-clickon them. All the text is missing and all the items they have are not there. Abilities don't work in game.

Please, someone from Matrix or the developer respond and help me out. I can't play the game at all if I save, quit and reload. It's like nothing is saved properly in the save files.

Is there a file I can send you? Help me Obi-Wan.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Being as you sound desperate, why not paste my save info into your save files and see if it continues to corrupt?

Edit: Sorry, try this new data instead...

File: autosave_before.sav

autosave_before.sav=3/22/2014 9:19:45 PM

File: autosave_before.sav

Tarshan
greenskin
Tarshan spent his youth among the people of Crasleen working as a professional warmonger. A short time later, Tarshan got bored with such a life and decided to return to the native plains to his green skinned brothers and sisters. He was endowed with health and leadership skills by nature that predestined his future fate of being a chieftain.
Armored Orc
greenskin
Some orcs prefer fighting armored. Their skills at making armor leave a lot to be desired and the armor comes in uncomfortable and awkward designs. An armored orc moves very slowly and is often seen lop-sided.
Armored Orc
greenskin
Some orcs prefer fighting armored. Their skills at making armor leave a lot to be desired and the armor comes in uncomfortable and awkward designs. An armored orc moves very slowly and is often seen lop-sided.

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Thanks for the help, rosseau. When I load that save game, I have no weapons. The small icon of my guy in the upper left of the camp screen shows I have items, but the inventory screen is completely blank. And, the store has no potions or anything to buy. When I get into the game, the abilities do not work, no tooltips on the abilities, and no dagger or axe (whatever you equipped him with).

So, I just can't figure out what's wrong with my game!!
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I see there is a game_errors.log file in the Drums of War directory. It is filled with errors. Hundreds of them.

Would it help if I e-mailed this to someone at Matrix, Slitherine, or the developer? Please let me know, and if so, who to e-mail it to.

Thanks! I really want to play this game, but I cannot, and I'm bummed.

jack54

Post by jack54 »

Jglazier I think it's time for a new download....Something must have corrupted.

Your download link may still be valid or if not Matrix will give you a new link.

Good Luck!

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Jack my friend, you are a genius! I have never, in my years of downloading games from reputable businesses (Matrix, Steam, Battlefront.com, etc.) had a download and install that got corrupted. I have heard about it from others, but it could never happen to me. [:)] It is such an obvious thing to try, but I just could not imagine that was the problem.

Thank you, thank you. My game runs flawlessly now, so far. Hoopla!
jack54

Post by jack54 »

[:D] I really hope that was it....I think I'll start keeping some extra saves just to be safe.

All the best!
Jack

Vladimir1979

Post by Vladimir1979 »

Hi
jglazier, save-file in post 12 not corrupted. Please write what the errors were in the file_errors.log game. First five. Thank you.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Hi Vladimir - I uninstalled the game already, downloaded it again from Matrix, and reinstalled. The game is working fine now. I already thanked Jack in this thread for his suggestion to download the game again.

I do not have the error log file anymore. But, I guess it was just a bad download.
Vladimir1979

Post by Vladimir1979 »

OK. A similar error once met one beta tester. Then he was gone...

Return to “Drums of War”