Naval Evacuations

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Spidery

Naval Evacuations

Post by Spidery »

Section 6.3.3.4 describes Naval Evacuations but I don't understand how they work. It states "It
will arrive at night, and sprint toward home after performing a load that won’t cost the TF any
Operations Points."

I wanted to evacuate some troops from Koumac and Efate. I based the ships at Luganville set them to do a pick up.

At the end of the turn the pick-up TF from Efate was in the Efate hex, had loaded the troops and was loading supplies. Endurance expended was about 640 which is consistent with some of the distance being covered at full speed.

For the evacuation from Koumac the distance was too far to go in one phase so I routed the task force via waypoints, on a route of 15 hexes, and set it to cruise speed. The expectation was that it would follow that path and end up 6 or 7 hexes from Koumac and I could set it to use mission speed the next turn.

What happened was that the task force ended up in the Koumac hex having spent 600 endurance. That is consistent with 9 hexes at cruise speed plus 1 hex over at full speed. Or it could be 15 hexes at cruise speed.

Why did the task forces not arrive at night and sprint for home but instead end up in the target hex?

Did the Koumac evacuations follow the waypointed path, ignore the cruise speed setting but not get charged the distance? Did they ignore the waypointed path and the cruise speed setting and go direct?
Lokasenna

RE: Naval Evacuations

Post by Lokasenna »

The problem at Efate is probably that you did not set them to Load Troops Only (can you even do so from the Pickup unit screen?).

The problem with Koumac is probably your waypointing combined with cruise speed (keep in mind that in some situations, TFs will go at mission speed for two phases, effectively moving at full speed but without burning fuel or accumulating damage like they would from a full speed run). I was just thinking about such a situation - the base is too far away for a single day run in, but you don't want to set the destination right away as they may end up 1-2 hexes from LBA. What we need is the ability to set "Pick up troops" while at sea, at least for amphibious/fast transport TFs.
Spidery

RE: Naval Evacuations

Post by Spidery »

Lokasenna, thank-you.

There isn't a load troops only option on the pick up unit screen but you could select it from the load troops screen before selecting the pick up option. Is that what one is supposed to do?

Not sure what you mean by this,
keep in mind that in some situations, TFs will go at mission speed for two phases, effectively moving at full speed but without burning fuel or accumulating damage like they would from a full speed run

I thought mission speed meant proceed at cruise speed except for when the mission required full speed and that the full speed phase accumulated damage and burned fuel. When do you get to move at full speed but not burn fuel?

I suspect I fell foul of this statement in section 6.2.5 of the manual, "Fast Transports, except those that are moving toward friendly bases not under enemy air threat." This in discussing the occasions when a fast run in is employed. I think the game engine may have decided there was no air threat and a fast run was not needed.

I still don't understand why it didn't perform an evacuation as per 6.3.3.4 of the manual.

Agreed, that being able to stand off and then select a pick-up troops option at sea is what I wanted to do. The same as you can for bombardments.

Return to “The War Room”