Wide strait

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

Wide strait

Post by Yaab »

The manual lists all narrow straits in the game. However, it does not lists wide straits. Straits make mines and CD guns more effective, as well as the make TF reaction more likely.

On page 304 in the manual, there is a somewhat vague info about wide straits. Here it is:

"Wide straits are numerous – they occur in any location where the movement path between two adjacent hexes is restricted (say
by peninsulas and islands), but not so restricted that ships are forced to navigate a narrow channel between two pieces of land."

There are many island hexes in the game where islands occupy the middle of a hex. If a TF goes through such hex, the obstacle ( an island) restricts its movement to another hex, but I presume the TF just goes around the island in the hex, so such hexes cannot be probably treated by the code as wide straits.

How about the example of Darwin approaches. Is this an example of a wide strait?

Attachments
Widestrait.jpg
Widestrait.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 46 times
Lokasenna

RE: Wide strait

Post by Lokasenna »

I would hope so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Does the hex have a different coding to it if you push the hotkey to show what's deep water, shallow, etc.? I haven't dug too much into these mechanics, I'm still too new to the game [:'(].
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Strait (wide or narrow) is defined in the pwhex file. Straits affect mines, CD guns, and accidents (running aground primarily). Passage through a hex requires the hex be defined as sea (deep or coastal). Straits and other pwhex entries work on top of "sea hex".
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Is there any way to identify the wide strait hexes on the game map?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”