Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A good resource on doctrine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> A good resource on doctrine? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A good resource on doctrine? - 3/14/2014 2:42:19 AM   
Xenomorph

I keep wondering if the tactics I'm using have anything to do with how the two sides would have actually operated and so I'm wondering if anyone has any good resources on the different doctrines the different nations used - the cliff notes version would be especially prized by the impatient person like myself. For example, I keep taking a few units and leading them on a really wide independent sweep of the battlefield and I'm not sure if this is realistic. I'm really not even sure how the armor and infantry were coordinated. I'd always thought armor would lead until opposition was too heavy and then infantry would go in but I've seen here and elsewhere lately how that might not have necessarily been the case. And how the two sides employed their airpower (helos and fixed-wing) is really not clear to me. Whew! Simple answers right? Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: A good resource on doctrine? - 3/14/2014 3:54:44 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xenomorph

I keep wondering if the tactics I'm using have anything to do with how the two sides would have actually operated and so I'm wondering if anyone has any good resources on the different doctrines the different nations used - the cliff notes version would be especially prized by the impatient person like myself. For example, I keep taking a few units and leading them on a really wide independent sweep of the battlefield and I'm not sure if this is realistic. I'm really not even sure how the armor and infantry were coordinated. I'd always thought armor would lead until opposition was too heavy and then infantry would go in but I've seen here and elsewhere lately how that might not have necessarily been the case. And how the two sides employed their airpower (helos and fixed-wing) is really not clear to me. Whew! Simple answers right? Thanks!

For Soviet tactics one good reference is the US Army FM 100-2-1 "The Soviet Army Operations and Tactics" dated 16 July 1984. You should find it pretty easily online. I also think someone posted a link to it in this forum. Airborne and Air Assault operations are in the FM 100-2-2 and Soviet OOB in FM 100-2-3. There are others out there depending on the time frame you want, but these do well for the most part.

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 2
RE: A good resource on doctrine? - 3/14/2014 4:56:56 AM   
Mad Russian

I started off thinking breaching operations would be done by infantry assault with heavy artillery bombardments. You can forget what you learned in WW2 FAST!

In this environment, tanks are the breakthrough weapons and the infantry follows when it's safe. If it gets safe and if they are in an IFV and not an APC. If your infantry are in APC's, battlefield taxis, you better keep them out of LOS of everybody!

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 3
RE: A good resource on doctrine? - 3/14/2014 7:51:36 AM   
loki100

as above - forget WW2, this isn't breakthrough by infantry, exploit the gap with armour.

Few general pointers from a Soviet perspective. They liked multiple angles of advance and stressed reinforcing success. So when you are setting things up try to spot where you want to prioritise and attack there in echelon.

Aim to close the range asap and keep the MRRs back. They are to hold the ground and clear urban terrain (but a tank assault maybe needed to deliver them safely into the urban environment).

The new patch seems to have made the Hinds more vulnerable so its better to use them as they were intended. They should operate with the tanks, not particularly hunting on their own. The idea is to overwhelm NATO on a narrow sector by multiple sources of fire (tanks, Hinds, artillery).

Few other bits, to the Soviets recon was by combat. Thats not to say you use the recon units in an assault role but they were designed to trigger NATO defences, not just spot them. Again this was part of trying to mask where the real focus was going to be, if small fire fights were breaking out all along a sector.

Also the command ranges in the game are short - reflecting the EW environment? - so flanking moves are hard to keep in command, and thus wreck your order cycle. But what can work is keep one group of Hinds and try and slip them around the flank (command range doesn't matter), if you get lucky, you'll hit NATO's artillery/HQs by surprise. The problem to this is when you run out of ammo its a long way back to resupply, but I did this in Dawn's First Light and it wrecked the NATO defense better than frontal attacks.

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 4
RE: A good resource on doctrine? - 3/14/2014 10:44:34 AM   
JohnO

While, I'm still here at Ft Hood Exercise with the 1CD, You can go here where I setup a Military Library at the Scenario school.

Military Library

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> A good resource on doctrine? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI