Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/13/2014 4:50:27 PM   
Xenomorph

I'm worried this question could be seen as criticism but I don't intend it as such. More than likely I'm handling the troops wrong. One of the things I've felt a bit frustrated with so far is the ease with which armor seems able to knock out dismounted infantry. I'd always understood that the beauty of infantry is that, esp if they're dismounted in good defensive terrain such as a town or forest, the only way you'll root them out is generally by using your own well supported infantry. And it'll take a while. But so far I'm finding armor handling infantry with pretty much the same ease/difficulty of that if they were merely facing other armor. I played "A time to dance" and had a good part of my infantry - 2 squadrons out of 6 - sitting in the town of Bad Neustedt and thought that whatever armor manages to get over the bridges will be dealt with by them. I think about 6 or 8 tanks made it thru and they pretty much blew right past the infantry. Any help on what I might be doing wrong there would be appreciated. Thx!
Post #: 1
RE: Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/13/2014 6:28:12 PM   
cbelva

Don't worry, we don't look at any of you guys' comments as criticism. Infantry combat (especially, against AFVs) is something we are constantly looking at. We just made some adjustments to inf combat for 2.03. In fact, at one point we had it tuned so far up that the AI could not handle it. There is a balance that we are looking for. One that allows the AI to be able to play, but also aim for realistic results. It is not easy. In fact, just about every little adjustment that Rob or Jim makes to the combat model affects it. So, when you guys make statements like this, we listen. But we also are looking at it.

One thing I would recommend is to play another scenario with infantry and not scout plts. Watch how straight infantry fights in good terrain. The scouts plts only have 2 scout squads/teams and two Bradleys. When the Bradleys are destroyed, the scouts don't really have much in the way of anti-tank defenses (the M203s being their strongest). Mech plts on the other hand have Laws and Dragons that can be effective in either taking out a tank or at least damaging them at close range. They are also larger and have more men in the plt than the scouts. I have watched mech plts defending in urban hex with their bradleys destroyed force a Soviet tank company to retreat. Not everytime, but enough to make it a gamble for you to assault infantry dug into an urban hex.

But as I said in my first paragraph, this is a difficult effect to keep balanced correctly. We appreciate all your comments and if you think something is out of balanced, your comments are always welcome. Especially after we release a new patch. Every time we release a patch, there is opportunity to mess something up. We try to find and correct before release, but things do get by us, and sometimes our own bias can affect us.

< Message edited by cbelva -- 3/14/2014 4:37:01 AM >

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 2
RE: Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/13/2014 6:34:18 PM   
Mad Russian

So far, in a bit over 5 months we've taken exactly one comment as criticism. That was one that MikeAP and I got crossways over. We apologized to each other and went on. This forum is about making the game better. What we see as making it better and what you see as making it better.

We playtest the game as much as we can in a 'reasonable time'. But, that reasonable time period won't catch everything that could happen over the thousands of plays that you guys give it. When you let us know when something is out of alignment that helps us to continue our quest to 'get it right'. Hopefully we are responding with fixes to issues in a timely enough manner to support your gaming.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 3
RE: Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/14/2014 3:00:30 AM   
Xenomorph

From other posts I've seen I assumed correctly that you guys would see the comment in the light it was intended but you've created such a great product that one doesn't want to be seen as nitpicking. Thanks for the help. It gets me to a whole other question regarding what exactly I should have been doing with those cavalry squadrons. I started another thread on that question (regarding use of doctrine) that hopefully will help me on that.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 4
RE: Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/14/2014 4:08:54 AM   
Sabre21

I was just wondering if you guys had the AT-4 added in for the US so I did a quick look and saw it was there. The date of entry should be 1987 though, not 1981. They never even tested it in competition until 83.

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 5
RE: Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? - 3/14/2014 10:31:40 AM   
CapnDarwin

Saber21, I'll add that to the data fixes. Thanks for the info.

We are at back from Origins and back to work!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Armor knocking out dismounted infantry to easily? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI