Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AHC - American Heroes Channel

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AHC - American Heroes Channel Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/11/2014 11:55:30 PM   
Joe D.

Has anyone else caught this channel?

Apparently The Military Channel changed its name and was rebranded as the American Heroes Channel (AHC).

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Post #: 1
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/12/2014 12:51:42 AM   
mbar

I did catch the change. Actually I like the change in the name. Makes it more about the people rather than the hardware. Seems to be similar programming so far.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 2
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/12/2014 10:47:50 PM   
KurtC

I have watched it some. I love that channel and hope it is included now in my satellite package, but more than likely I'll have to pay extra to get it. I love watching shows on Normandy and also some of the lesser known events of WW2 and other stuff. I figured it was the old Military channel because it is the same numbered channel as the old one was.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 3
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/12/2014 11:23:58 PM   
sullafelix

Well, I am not to happy with it.

I see from their blurb that they are branching out and will now have a lot of non-military shows.

I have no problem with shows about American heroes, quite the contrary. I just liked having a " military channel ".

I hope it doesn't get as bad as the History channel. Again, I have no problem with the rash of reality shows on the HC it's that their history content is next to nil.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 4
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/12/2014 11:27:31 PM   
KurtC

Well, I won't like it if they change their programming.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 5
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/13/2014 5:15:32 PM   
fodder

I don't like it. Give me back the Military Channel

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 6
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/13/2014 6:00:16 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

I don't like it. Give me back the Military Channel

+1

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 7
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/14/2014 2:29:45 AM   
Citizen Emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I see from their blurb that they are branching out and will now have a lot of non-military shows.

I have no problem with shows about American heroes, quite the contrary. I just liked having a " military channel ".

I hope it doesn't get as bad as the History channel. Again, I have no problem with the rash of reality shows on the HC it's that their history content is next to nil.

Yep. The channel is already running a bunch of Bible stuff and "Da Vinci Code"/Nostradamus type of crap.

The good ol' Military Channel is KIA.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 8
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/14/2014 8:10:33 AM   
flanyboy

You'd think with the rise of China and escalating tensions as well as the recent crisis in Crimea there would be an influx in people interested in learning more about military related topics and that could sustain them but who knows what their finances look like.

(in reply to Citizen Emperor)
Post #: 9
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/14/2014 2:29:10 PM   
RedArgo

All my former favorite cable channels have went to crap, TLC, History, Discovery, Military, NatGeo, they are all programming reality/conspiracy/aliens stuff. Even on the rare occasions there is something good, I'll never see it since I don't watch to see what's going to be on.

I'd be fine getting rid of cable and my kids rarely watch TV, but the wife still likes her shows.

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 10
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/15/2014 7:01:53 PM   
gradenko_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

You'd think with the rise of China and escalating tensions as well as the recent crisis in Crimea there would be an influx in people interested in learning more about military related topics and that could sustain them but who knows what their finances look like.

That doesn't necessarily follow - to draw a line between military topics and global tensions would only follow if we are to assume that things like the Crimean crisis are necessarily going to have to be dealt with by force.

It does present quite a number of new possible hypotheticals for Command Modern Air Naval Operations and Combat Mission Shock Force though!

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 11
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/16/2014 10:47:01 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Yep. The channel is already running a bunch of Bible stuff and "Da Vinci Code"/Nostradamus type of crap.

The good ol' Military Channel is KIA.

I saw those listings today, but I couldn't make the connection between "Atlantis Uncovered" and American heroes.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Post #: 12
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/17/2014 10:57:07 AM   
Citizen Emperor

I sometimes thought of The Military Channel as "The Robert Powell Channel", since a number of shows narrated by the British actor seemed to be on constantly, often right after the other (for half the day):

World War II in Color
Hitler's Bodyguard
Secrets of World War II

...and one or two other series I can't recall at the moment.

Even so, with all that repetition, it was better than a lot of the stupid junk the newly-branded "American Heroes Channel" is running. Bah!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 13
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/17/2014 11:59:05 AM   
Neilster

Err...from Citizen Emperor's reply it appears it used to broadcast stuff about people/militaries that aren't American. Does the new name imply that that is no longer the case?

If not, isn't the name a bit of a slap in the face for us non-Americans? We already get pretty annoyed at American documentaries that basically ignore, say, the Commonwealth contribution to WW2, and U-571 style annexation of others' history.

Perhaps the rename is just for the U.S. market?

Cheers, Neilster

Post #: 14
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/17/2014 6:45:06 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Err...from Citizen Emperor's reply it appears it used to broadcast stuff about people/militaries that aren't American. Does the new name imply that that is no longer the case?

If not, isn't the name a bit of a slap in the face for us non-Americans? We already get pretty annoyed at American documentaries that basically ignore, say, the Commonwealth contribution to WW2, and U-571 style annexation of others' history.

Perhaps the rename is just for the U.S. market?

Cheers, Neilster

I do not think that American TV and film companies consider any other markets when they make their decisions. Despite that the market for their products is often large outside America.

Continue to engage the enemy.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 15
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/17/2014 6:52:49 PM   
Lecivius

"I do not think that American TV and film companies consider any other markets when they make their decisions."

I don't believe American Business even thinks anymore.  Seriously. 

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/18/2014 2:14:28 PM   
Josh

Don't have the Military channel, or History channel, but I sure was thinking of getting them. Which meant a higher bill at the end of the month but they seemed worth it. No more alass. History channel is more like "american pickers" I mean it's a nice show and all but common there's more to history than that. So a bit of a let down. Scrap the military channel too... for that I use Youtube now, not really the same but it gets close.
So in the end Discovery and National Geographic are still the best because they stayed true to their origin.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 17
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/18/2014 2:34:49 PM   
aaatoysandmore

I can't believe they destroyed the History Channel with crap like Pawn shops and junk yard dogs looking for deals. I hardly turn it on anymore.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 18
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/18/2014 4:50:12 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

That doesn't necessarily follow - to draw a line between military topics and global tensions would only follow if we are to assume that things like the Crimean crisis are necessarily going to have to be dealt with by force.

It does present quite a number of new possible hypotheticals for Command Modern Air Naval Operations ...

No, instead AHC showed a series called "Ultimate Warfare" where they retold the Battle of Midway and how Adm. Nagumo had to change his strike package munitions from "anti-land bombs" to torpedoes! It wouldn't have been a bad show if they just vetted some of the more obvious miscues.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to gradenko_2000)
Post #: 19
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/18/2014 5:41:10 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

"I do not think that American TV and film companies consider any other markets when they make their decisions."

This is indeed curious. After all, it is an indisputable fact that the Anglo-Saxons (namely British and Americans) make the best historians. Or, if you prefer, they are a History (science) superpower.

But for some reason businessmen are not interested about these high quality, internationally reputed scholars They only serve to the audience the leftovers: light, sensationalist programmes (gross, childish mistakes are common, easily detected). It is as if they thought the mass of the people do not deserve caviar (which is plenty at hand).

And yes, I am describing the History Channel.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 20
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/22/2014 8:50:14 AM   
Citizen Emperor

Well, at least World War II in Color is still being run on the channel, during the day and in the wee hours of the morning...

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 21
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/30/2014 7:51:28 PM   
mbar

Ah forget it! I take it back. I don't like the change. I like UFO, Bermuda Triangle and Conspiracy as much as the next guy but not on my Military Channel.

Post #: 22
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 3/30/2014 10:52:48 PM   
rodney727

I like the new channel and I know it's not really new. Why are the older generation so resistant to change?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 23
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 4/1/2014 5:05:42 PM   
reg113

Hey kid, get off my lawn!!!

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 24
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 4/12/2014 7:02:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

This is indeed curious. After all, it is an indisputable fact that the Anglo-Saxons (namely British and Americans) make the best historians. Or, if you prefer, they are a History (science) superpower.

But for some reason businessmen are not interested about these high quality, internationally reputed scholars They only serve to the audience the leftovers: light, sensationalist programmes (gross, childish mistakes are common, easily detected). It is as if they thought the mass of the people do not deserve caviar (which is plenty at hand).

And yes, I am describing the History Channel.

Do you have a source for the claim that Anglo-Saxons (British and Americans) make the best historians?

It is not that I want to argue with you about this but that it would be nice for me to know if there is any research done about this.

Continue to engage the enemy.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 25
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 4/17/2014 1:48:40 PM   
DerTroof

Not happy about the change, but not surprised by it. Seems the Military Channel was starved for new content quite a while ago. Youtube seems to be the best place for interesting military history docs now.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 26
RE: AHC - American Heroes Channel - 4/18/2014 3:40:32 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerTroof
Seems the Military Channel was starved for new content quite a while ago.

This is the reason we're not seeing more history docs. Nearly every channel has dedicated it's full attention to creating craptistic 'Reality TV' shows and stopped making new docs.

AHC still has some fairly recent stuff, fortunately, so it's our best bet on TV right now. However, there aren't many docs historical docs being made lately. Filthy Redneck Housewife Bridezilla Survivors and the Ancient Alien Iceroad Pickers are where all the production resources are going. Hopefully the fad will die away at some point.

(in reply to DerTroof)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AHC - American Heroes Channel Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI