Changing the Operating System to Windows 8.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

tjhkkr

Changing the Operating System to Windows 8.

Post by tjhkkr »

Howdy.

I have to change the operating system on my machine to Windows 8.
Any issues that anyone is aware of?
Any fixes or software needed for DW to run?

Thanks.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

RE: Changing the Operating System to Windows 8.

Post by Shark7 »

You have my sympathy.

I LOATHE windows 8.

It is not gamer friendly IMO.

Now as far as your software goes, other than trying to figure out how to start it up it should be just fine. Apparently a user came up with a way to force the old Win7 style desktop, you might want to check into that so that everything will seem more familiar to you.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Sirian

Post by Sirian »

I had to accept Win8 on my machine, but I do not like it. It feels like someone tried to make it as user unfriendly as possible. Where is my Start-Button? Why can't I close Applications? But... DW works. I did a reinstall and had no problems playing. (I have Win8.0, never dared to upgrade to 8.1)
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Don't do it!
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Don't do it!
Laugh...
Wish I had a choice. The older version will soon no longer be supported.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Try and find a copy of Win7, that will be supported for some time yet. Win 7 works well and doesn't have all the BS Win 8 added for Tablets and Touchscreens.

Win XP is ending soon, April 8 2014. Win 7 is stated to be in support until 2020 (iirc)

I am not even considering 8/8.1, the next OS I will be looking at will likely be Win 9 late this year if the rumors are true.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Yep, I'll wait until they release a real OS, not something tablet oriented.

I would get a copy of Win7 quickly though, I do think they won't be printing it much longer (if they haven't stopped already). Still it will be supported for quite a while longer, since many people and businesses either can't or won't upgrade to Win 8.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Yep, I'll wait until they release a real OS, not something tablet oriented.

I will pray that this will come in future, but i don't think this will happen again, or at last not from MS.
The Desktop PC sales are decreasing while the Smartphone/Tablet PC sales are increasing they will create the next OS more or less like Win 8.
BTAxis

Post by BTAxis »

I use Windows 8 and I'm completely okay with it. The Metro interface is really bad, but fortunately I don't have to deal with it because I installed the Windows 7 shell. Other than that, 8 is actually better than 7 in many ways, even when it comes to gaming. A lot of games actually run faster.

That said, it's probably not worth the money to upgrade. Win7 remains a fine OS and there's nothing in 8 that you absolutely need.
jamthree

Post by jamthree »

Windows 8 is not that bad, typically faster and little things like task manager are better. The problem is metro which is bad on its own except for maybe htpc's and even then the apps are pretty bad. You can get around it with 8.1, boot straight to desktop, and use a start menu replacer like "Classic Shell".

http://download.cnet.com/Classic-Shell/ ... 53853.html

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Thank you all very much.
I did not realize WIN.9 was coming out. And if it is a real operating system, maybe I will wait for it.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

Got a laptop as a gift with windows 8 and then it upgraded to 8.1 and I got a lot of issues with games. Now I have this problem that things don't display properly like the resolution even if I would disable DPI scaling. I can't even uninstall some things like Desura because some of the menu would not display properly like some things are unclickable and I don't know how to fix it. In relation to DW, some of the things can't be seen like if research would have 2 digit percentage.
et ignobiles oblivio
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

MS has a tradition: every other widows version bits the big one. The alternating releases are very good. So, if I really needed to upgrade from win 7 (I'm very happy with it), I would wait for win 9. ANd hope.
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”