Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Desperate Battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Desperate Battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Desperate Battles - 3/8/2014 1:02:50 PM   
Webizen

Every now and then you get in an epic struggle with the AI. I rarely lose cities to the AI but in this particular game it has happened several times. It started off with my regime and 2 AI regimes attacking a third AI regime. Things were going well until the other two AI regimes declared war on me. Now it is "desperate battles!"

Attachment (1)

Tac2i
Post #: 1
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/8/2014 3:09:30 PM   
Josh

Nice

What's the AI level?
In my last game vs the AI I've beaten 2 AI regimes so far, but the third...oh my, lots and lots of well balanced Inf units consisting of Inf and AT/Inf guns, plus loads of Artillery and Flak...a real challenge I tell you that.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 2
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/8/2014 11:39:12 PM   
Webizen

@Josh: standard AI

Attachment (1)

Tac2i

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 3
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/8/2014 11:40:02 PM   
Webizen

One army that has done well... My armies, which are armor heavy due to the loss of cities, have perpetually been short of oil and somewhat ore. That is slowing changing. This has been a great game vs the AI.

Correction: sweeping away remnants of Arab armies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Webizen -- 3/9/2014 1:30:57 PM >

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 4
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/10/2014 1:17:45 PM   
Webizen

Several turns later the tide of battle has swung in my favor. The Anglo capital has fallen and their armies are shattered. The French line has been breached in a couple of areas. I've captured enough oil hexes that my armored forces are now able to operate in larger numbers. The end is in sight.

Tac2i

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 5
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/10/2014 2:29:06 PM   
lecrop

Nice report thank you!

Is interesting to see an AI doing things right...

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 6
RE: Desperate Battles - 3/10/2014 3:36:22 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Several turns later the tide of battle has swung in my favor. The Anglo capital has fallen and their armies are shattered. The French line has been breached in a couple of areas. I've captured enough oil hexes that my armored forces are now able to operate in larger numbers. The end is in sight.

I knew that would happen. The AI acts somewhat like an anthill. When you poke it with a stick you see a few ants, you poke it some more and then *boom* all of a sudden a zillion ants all over the place. The AI acts the same way, it spots you and throws anything it has at you, in waves. And when you finally think you can't take it no more...that's about the time you've broken its neck. So after surviving the AI's initial onslaught you ... probably... are safe.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 7
RE: Desperate Battles - 4/16/2014 1:49:37 PM   
Kaldadarnes

Do not underestimate the AI!

In tandem to the game I’m slowly writing up, I’ve had another one on the go against an AI+. I have just surrendered. After 4 years of struggle my front line has been broken into 2 and enemy armour is roaming my rear areas. To save needless loss of life the white flag was raised. I just couldn’t see a way to victory. However, and this is why it is so hard to take:

In the 4 years of the game I had inflicted losses in the following ratios:

Infantry 5:1
Armour 8:1
Artillery 6:1
Air units 2:1
Support 4:1

Of 2 capitals and 10 cities, I controlled 8 cities and my own capital. I controlled the bulk of the map in territory terms, but the numbers the AI could put in the field were simply overwhelming, the production advantages just ramp up and up! A warning to any player – AI+ is hard, and the rushes just keep coming… (Also, I hear there is an AI++ setting?? How, why, what?)

This is what makes ATG so compelling and fun - you can and will lose...but the eventual victory all the sweeter for it!

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
RE: Desperate Battles - 4/17/2014 1:32:47 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kaldadarnes

Do not underestimate the AI!

In tandem to the game I’m slowly writing up, I’ve had another one on the go against an AI+. I have just surrendered. After 4 years of struggle my front line has been broken into 2 and enemy armour is roaming my rear areas. To save needless loss of life the white flag was raised. I just couldn’t see a way to victory. However, and this is why it is so hard to take:

In the 4 years of the game I had inflicted losses in the following ratios:

Infantry 5:1
Armour 8:1
Artillery 6:1
Air units 2:1
Support 4:1

Of 2 capitals and 10 cities, I controlled 8 cities and my own capital. I controlled the bulk of the map in territory terms, but the numbers the AI could put in the field were simply overwhelming, the production advantages just ramp up and up! A warning to any player – AI+ is hard, and the rushes just keep coming… (Also, I hear there is an AI++ setting?? How, why, what?)

This is what makes ATG so compelling and fun - you can and will lose...but the eventual victory all the sweeter for it!

And still you lost, clearly you suck.

Just kidding. Totally agree with you, AI+ can be a serious challenge. I sometimes play against AI+ and have to fight over each and every hex, it's a *&@%$@@ damn slugfest. A serious challenge even for seasoned players. Once or twice I played against AI++.... now that was fun, after barely having researched Light Tanks II the AI shows up with Heavy Tanks II LOL it was brutal.

(in reply to Kaldadarnes)
Post #: 9
RE: Desperate Battles - 5/16/2014 12:50:47 PM   
Kaldadarnes

@Josh - AI++ sounds tough! On reflection I've concluded that against the higher levels of the AI industrial strategy is key, gotta get those factories, mines and wells up and producing so you can get some kind of force parity.

As to your other comment, yeah I don't "suck", I have "learning opportunities"

Omnia Videmus

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> Desperate Battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI