Moving units and Map size

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

USScoralsea

Moving units and Map size

Post by USScoralsea »

Can someone tell me what the Max map size is that will be accepted by the scenario editor ?

Now with the 2.00 update, is it possible to move platoon units from the West Front OOB into the East Front OOB ?? If it is possible, how do you do it ?

Love the platoon additions to Finland with the update. Would be nice if Germany got the Panzer IV J as well.
Warhorse

RE: Moving units and Map size

Post by Warhorse »

Will look into IV J, wasn't too much different than IV H, took out the electric traverse, added steel mesh to sides, extended front hull sides, turret armor thickness increased, Nahverteidigungswaffe added for smoke/close defense, also fuel cap increased, and vertical mufflers. Problem is Germany running out of numbers to assign...
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: USScoralsea

Can someone tell me what the Max map size is that will be accepted by the scenario editor ?

As far as I am aware of, the maximum map size is limited by the performance of your computer.

Extremely large maps will be in the GB's of size. Not really all that playable.

Jason Petho
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

The manual states 500 hexes wide as the max ( which should be plenty!)
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

The manual is only up to 1.04. Due to time constraints for release, we decided to release the UPDATE and add manual additions in the forum until it could be officially released in a later UPDATE.

You can find some of the manual revisions here:

Manual Updates

That being said, the 500 hex limit has been removed and is now dependent on your computer hardware specs.

Jason Petho

TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

The manual is only up to 1.04. Due to time constraints for release, we decided to release the UPDATE and add manual additions in the forum until it could be officially released in a later UPDATE.

You can find some of the manual revisions here:

Manual Updates

That being said, the 500 hex limit has been removed and is now dependent on your computer hardware specs.

Jason Petho

Holy cow, unlimited hex sizes, Army Group sized scenarios here we come! (just kidding, takes the AI 15 plus minutes to take its turn in corp size
scenarios, which is my limit of patience.
Dumnorix

Post by Dumnorix »

Now I can run my maps bigger like 500 hex wiide without the german map editor - they had no limitation but supports not all hex typs.
Looks like H.Balck should come back to JTCS and show you a new terrain and new units. But without png support it looks to boring to set my 3d units and terrain in this old - but best - engine.

With png support I give this engine a chance to a new improved level.
tm.asp?m=2945945&mpage=4

Here is an quick example for one of my 3d model output as UP graphic for JTCS in png file format:
Its the PlA Main Tank ZTZ-99 (Type 99)
In this wise I can produce all Modern Warfare unit - and BTW also all WW2 units in 3 min per unit. I have them all in 3d for Poser - and BTW full animated ! It would be nice to see the Running feature as movement animation for all units and possible also as attack animation different for every unit. Possible also an special Wreck png in all 6 directions different for every unit. Thats what I call a new level for JTCS.

Unit info pictures would look like this one:

I don't know - but it looks like the new upcoming Modern Warfare used the old Vanilla Style 15 years old pixel units. It would be better to use high poly models.
And also a new terrain style looks more like 250 m per Hex. I show you some quick examples next !

H.Balck
LoneWulf63

Post by LoneWulf63 »

I am working on an extremely large map of the Vietnam DMZ area at the moment. As Jason said, basically the performance of your computer determines the maximum size of your maps.
In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.
Dumnorix

Post by Dumnorix »

extremely large map
What is extremely large map for you ? My biggest JTCS meets PG3D had 800x600 Hexfields. Do you mean bigger ?

H.Balck
LoneWulf63

Post by LoneWulf63 »

Not quite as big as your map, but still big. At the moment it is 428 hexes x 340 hexes but by the end of this year (I have more map projects that I need to begin) it will grow to at least 500 to 600 hexes in width and 1200 hexes in height.
In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”