4.6.272 feedback.

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Mahatma

4.6.272 feedback.

Post by Mahatma »

The good: nearly all of it.
The bad: not much
The ugly: months ago I mentioned the problem with Bn-level assaults but the problem still exists. The reason it irritates me is that I absolutely hate micromanagement and I'm forced to because of the following.

a. Units seize the objective only to switch to road column formation which is the worst formation possible in such a situation. Why not reorg in arrowhead with minimum footprint? They are only moving a short distance so road column is almost pointless.
b. Units are incapable of holding their assault positions but instead move around to take alternative defensive positions. Why can't they stay still? Let's say you assault a village, and you set the assault footprint to be the width of the village. It would be very useful to have the units hold position since they will automatically be on the outskirts of the village in good defensive positions, and there is now no need for them to move around at all. Maybe a checkbox would be useful here, either 'hold position' or 'reorg after assault'. The current method requires a bunch of repositioning of individual units which is a PITA and also incurs more command delay.

Other stuff:
c. Successive lines is broken and occasionally results in column formation being used instead. It's hit and miss really.
d. I can't tell the difference between rest 'min' 'norm' and 'max'. Most of my units refuse to get up before 0700 even when set to min rest and not suffering from fatigue.
e. A 'move only' button would be excellent for repositioning HQs without having to detach all their subordinates, order a move, then reattach all the subordinates.

p.s. someone want to back me up on points a. and b. ?
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
dazkaz15

RE: 4.6.272 feedback.

Post by dazkaz15 »

Yeah I absolutely agree, but it has been like that for a long time now, and un-noticed by a lot of people, or at least not reported by them.

Dave has already said in another thread that he is going to look into it for command ops 2.

Its not a bug per se, just a badly implemented feature, certainly not game breaking though, as you can pre-empt the behaviour by ordering your own defensive formation if you catch it early enough.

I personally don't think he should start to play around with it in this release as it can, and probably will introduce other problems.

I'm sure he will look into it for Command Ops 2.

Other than game breaking bugs, I think we need to get signed of on this version, and look forward to a whole new modern interface, and stuff.

If its still a problem in Command Ops 2, Ill be the first to back you up on this [;)]
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I am with Daz, I think there is probably a reason that a and b are as they are, in the current game.
I do like all five of your points though... but also think that they are likely to be part of CO2. A lot will be helped when they make the additions that will make the game less cpu intensive, and that will free up resources for some additions that if implemented now would probably have undesired effects in directions not anticipated.
edit:
On the successive lines, I think it depends a little on the frontage chosen and the frontage available, I usually uncheck the automatic on this and try to eye it, and have not really had an issue with that.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I too like all your points..and I also feel CO should be left alone now (apart from bugs) and implement improvements\features in CO2. (been saying this for awhile now;))
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Wow I'm feeling the support. So if an overhaul is too much to expect, how about someone edits the lines in the code to something that prevents road column formation during a reorg? Just this minute I tried to get around the reorg problem by issuing a crash fire order to a coy that was in the process of assaulting, only to have one of the other companies in the battalion instantly switch to road column. [:@] Now I realise that any interference with the assault causes a stall/replan/bad stuff so there is apparently no solution to this.

And fwiw, if Arjuna wants to make the big bucks, make Command Ops 2 run warhammer 40k since there is no other game that is even close to similar. A huge hole in the market.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

I think** that I saw someone was working on a warhammer 40k estab file. The ability is there as a mod, but I would bet that the devs would probably not wander into it with the actual product due to copyright issues, as well as the entire realism idea of the series.

On your one point, I do think that perhaps it would/should be easy enough to have the unit stay in whatever formation that it was in for the assault, as it secures its position/reorganizes.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Mahatma,

Send me a save just prior to where the unit(s) adopt road column formation in the final reorg and post up here a screen grab identifying the unit(s) and the time at which it occurs. I'll take a look.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Someone else having problems with artillery?
Ordered now several times long bombardment missions ranging from 30 to 45 minutes but I usually get about 9 minutes after the bombardment started a message that the bombardment mission was completed.
After that the unit switches to On-Call support instead of resting.
And finally when the set time for the bombardment mission is over it switches to rest.
Plenty of ammo is there and the box for rest after bombardment is checked.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

BigDuke66,

I need a save taken just prior to this behaviour.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

I hope that is close enough.
Check out I Bn 405 VAK you should see the behavior shortly after start of that save.

Rename to zip.

Attachments
AutoSave7.txt
(86.21 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

II.190 are reorging now.
II.293 have reorged and are now changing to line formation.
Playing until 12.44, II.293 have reorged to road column three times now and retreated three times as they are fired upon.

I'll post a save via e-mail to Arjuna since ZIP isn't allowed now.

FWIW, what exactly do 'real' units do in such a situation?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I'll check this out soon but were the unit in road column retreating. Did they have an orange arrow in their Unit Info Box when you selected rout status?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

I ran the save again to have another look. Units are sometimes retreating, other times halted. So it's either an orange arrow or square.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

So its an orange square or an orange arrow. OK thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I really don't have much time tonight, but hopefully I will be able to do a full write up with saves for you over the weekend.
Here is a quick image to give you an idea what the problem is.

It has nothing to do with retreating I don't think, it is just SOP (Standard operating procedure)of the attack as it is coded in game at the moment, and has been for some time.
Maybe even since the release?

Its just that its not a very good SOP [:'(]

There should be no road column on the objective at all I think, especially as the formation itself is badly implemented due to limitations of the old engine. i.e. it stays in a rigid line, not a bendy flowing with the features, and obstructions one.

After the attack the Bn formation should stay in the one that the user defined for the attack formation, not a dispersed all round defence one.

Attachments
Attackphase1.jpg
Attackphase1.jpg (278.36 KiB) Viewed 353 times
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

BigDuke66,

I need a save taken just prior to this behaviour.
I attached the save here:
fb.asp?m=3552482
Just rename the extension to zip, if it doesn't work tell me and I send it directly.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15
There should be no road column on the objective at all I think, especially as the formation itself is badly implemented due to limitations of the old engine. i.e. it stays in a rigid line, not a bendy flowing with the features, and obstructions one.

After the attack the Bn formation should stay in the one that the user defined for the attack formation, not a dispersed all round defence one.

Yes, yes and yes. Leave the companies in the same place as they assaulted to and the whole process of assaulting would be much much better. Forget reorgs, road columns, all round defense and everything else and just leave the units where they are. If a player wants to edit the defensive setup s/he can issue orders to individual companies.

Problem solved?
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: Mahatma
Yes, yes and yes. Leave the companies in the same place as they assaulted to and the whole process of assaulting would be much much better. Forget reorgs, road columns, all round defense and everything else and just leave the units where they are. If a player wants to edit the defensive setup s/he can issue orders to individual companies.

Problem solved?

Well I don't entirely agree with you here, as I think the formation should automatically change to a defend order, as the HQ and the support needs to re join its Bn.
The defend order should be the same formation as set for the attack though, also with the same options.

For example:

If you attacked with a Vee formation, and you selected fastest, shortest, as the options for the advance to the FUP this is also the formation that the Bn/regiment will adopt automatically after the reorg on the objective, after a successful attack.
The support, and HQ will use these settings (fastest, shortest) for its advance to rejoin the Bn/Regiment on the objective.

This will kill two birds with one stone, as it will solve the auto all round defence formation after an attack, and the HQ going via a completely different route than the line units did for their assault, that usually takes it through enemy held positions.

Where this might be a problem though is if the attached support is wheeled, but the line units advanced though terrain that is impassable to wheeled units.
So there probably should be a check box to prevent the HQ, and support from advancing to the objective, for situations like this so the player can then intervene when it is safe to do so, and issue orders to the support, and HQ to re-join the Bn.

Obviously road column formation should not be used at all though to achieve this, for the line units already on or near the objective.

I would say that all this is probably going to have to wait for Command Ops 2?
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Daz I agree with all that apart from 'wait for Command Ops 2'. I'm sure the developers can create a quick fix by banning road column during assaults, that would be good enough for me. Anything else is a bonus.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Daz this issue looks like one that does need fixing for CO1.

Return to “Command Ops Series”