more features wish list

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
chemkid

more features wish list

Post by chemkid »

fentum

RE: more features wish list

Post by fentum »

Or left click on map and hold to move map?
mh1066

Post by mh1066 »

I'd like to see the next version include second story buildings.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Scenario builder if the editor is not designed to be one.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Zoom to cursor
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Thomasew

Post by Thomasew »

Hi,

Definite +1 on some way to drag the map around (big oversight in my humble opinion .. [:)] ) and zoom to cursor, .. although, playing at 1920x1200 res, .. the zoom levels in the game are not useable for me. I can really only play fully zoomed in. Zooming out just 1 level makes the mapboard too small to be playable, although it does give me an overview of the overall situation, .. which is when a zoom to cursor would be handy. [:)]

It does seem that the game doesn't scale well at higher resolutions. [&:]

Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen, to move the map around, seems counter-intuitive to me [;)]. Added to which, I have an extended desktop, on to my 2nd Monitor, giving me 3840x1200 res, .. so, moving the mouse to the right often results in an overshoot. [;)]

It almost feels like, playing a real boardgame, .. and having to pick up the mapboard, counters and all, and move it around to change your area of focus. [;)]

Cheers
Tom
He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

I hate second story buildings. No second story buildings in LnL. Ever.

I think.

I might change my mind.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Shame..multi story building is something that is missing in nearly all tactical PC wargames. For me it's major feature missing in all of them and something much requested in Squad battles for instance. Star adding features missing in other tactical wargames then you will truly stand out and start to offer even more tactical decisions. The game would be alot higher on my wish list if this sort of thing was in game.

ORIGINAL: markhwalker

I think.

I might change my mind.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I'd like to see random maps with forces able to be purchased by the players. When I've played tactical games, like Steel Panthers, in multiplayer mode, I've almost always played with random maps and purchased units. That way, no one has an advantage from being familiar with a scenario.

I don't know much about AI, so I don't know if random maps would work against the AI, but they'd be fine multiplayer.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I would also like more fully implemented elevation differences, whether hills or multi-storey buildings. So, I'd be pleased if Mark did change his mind.

Nevertheless, the game is fantastic as is--perhaps the best WWII PC game ever, and surely one of the best games covering any era.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

X-XOM did it best with random maps, multistory buildings and multirooms as well. I know you aren't trying to compete with X-COM Mark, but, this is what makes it a blast to play. Anything can be anywhere and sometimes high in a scout tower about 3-5 levels high. I remember one game I thought I never would find the last alien, but, there he was waaaay up there in that tower. He was hiding behind the door too. Great tactics that one.
mh1066

Post by mh1066 »

ORIGINAL: Hrothgar

I'd like to see random maps with forces able to be purchased by the players. When I've played tactical games, like Steel Panthers, in multiplayer mode, I've almost always played with random maps and purchased units. That way, no one has an advantage from being familiar with a scenario.

I agree, it would add a great deal of replay value to the game. I know in games such as Combat Mission wherein you were given parameters to choose and then points to buy troops made for great tactical engagements. Of course, in this case the maps are not generated randomly, but the troop selection and placement would be if indeed the AI could handle it.
mh1066

Post by mh1066 »

I think.

I might change my mind.

I understand of course that coding second story buildings makes for much more complex coding for LOS and AI options. I get that...especially after the herculean task needed to get the current version into the wild. But that aside, you have to admit the tactical options it affords can be interesting - even if it is just an occasion exceptional hex with "height advantage."

So, I suppose it is hopeless to hope for bypass movement as a movement option? Sure would be nice to be able to move between buildings rather than having to follow the hex grain paying entry cost to move inside when you really just want to move around them. I know...a programing nightmare!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Eh? Seems like a basic feature for any wargame set in an urban environment.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I'd also like a shift-right click mechanism to force a unit to follow a particular route rather than the one chosen by the AI. I seem to have problems when I move the unit to one hex, and then try to move it to another.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Eh? Seems like a basic feature for any wargame set in an urban environment.

Nah, too unrealistic. In reality troops might use the second floor for scouting, but predominately use the ground floor for defense.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Even if only if scouting, spotting, and snipering, seems pretty important.

Also, page 54 of the rules mentions changing levels within a building; does the board game include multi-story buildings?
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

Yep, board game does. We meant to take all reference to second level out of the book. If I redesigned the board game now, I wouldn't include second level. They're useless.
SilliusSodus

Post by SilliusSodus »

As a player of the board game I wouldn't have said that second story buildings are useless. They do present some tactical options which are nice to have, certainly putting a sniper on the second floor of a building is viable and depending on Scenario terrain a tripod MG 42 has its uses. I’d like to see it in the digital versions. For me Lock n load stands above more recent attempts at squad based games, CoH changes its rule set and counters it seems every month (I respect that although things might have been done differently if it was designed today Lock n load only gets tweaked rather than overhauled). So I hope the possibility of second floor buildings in the future is a possibility in the digital version
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Well, I don't mean to be too critical, I am enjoying the game. It's just that I'd enjoy it more with second stories...

Also, I think others have mentioned that it would be awesome to have some kind of "quick battle" system where players could buy their own forces and get a random map (I would think that between all the maps for the scenarios and campaigns, and "spinning" them 90 or 180 degrees, you could get a decent variety of maps).
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

ORIGINAL: mh1066

I second that.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”