Alpha Testing For DW tool

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

yummie

Alpha Testing For DW tool

Post by yummie »

We Have releasing an alpha version of the tool. It is Never to late to sign up. Looking for possible testers...good communication skills a must, please consider this when submitting your reply.

Experience as a modder, qa tester or a programmer will be considered a bonus, but not required. So throw in this tread why you think you would be a great alpha tester. This is only an alpha and ask that the Program not be spread around till the final version is done is a must. But we want People to be open and express your likes and dislikes. Also errors you run into and concerns you might have with the program. We do not want people that will make comments like it works fine. We want real Feed back on this so if you think you can do this and like to step up to make this the best Tool for DW post a comment below.

If your lucky a Download link Might appear in your in box after signing up. Beta release Date not set yet.

Alpha Testing Will consist of the following. About Races Biases Dialog, auto updates as New additions are finished and ready for testing. We will use the data from that to build the rest of the Modd tool. At this point it is Stable and working as far as we can tell. Mostly this will be a run through to see if we missed anything and what text errors We have made. Also any usual errors or Glitches we do not see.

Solarius Scorch

RE: Alpha Testing For DW tool

Post by Solarius Scorch »

I'd be interested, but sadly I cannot make any commitments at this point, so I guess I'll have to pass and wait for the official release. So good luck. :)
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

I would like to put myself forward for the alpha test.

Beta tester for Shadows and am currently in beta with Universe.
Modding for the last ten+ years.
Experienced modder and player on Distant Worlds.
Native English speaker.

Darkspire
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'd like to help out too.

I've played DW since release day and modded it almost as long.
I have several mods ready to be updated by the tool.
Scottish, so I sort of speak English.
I want this tool to work!!
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Yummie....

ADD Igard and Darkspire. I've been a beta tester for DW since
ROTS and will vouch for them both. I've worked with Igard on his Star Trek
series mods and he's excellent (even better with cases of Romulan Ale in his
cargo bays)! Darkspire....well, I'll only say he's been a VERY detailed,
surgical and instrumental addition to our beta test team, and he's an
excellent modder as well.

I must opt out myself due to lack of time. Currently testing DW Universe with
certain focuses, and it's tax season as well (Accountant) so I can't make time.
But again, Igard and Darkspire have my vote.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
yummie

Post by yummie »

Okay last call for Alpha Sign up Is Tomorrow We will be putting The Down load up on our site and will be sending out instructions To those that have signed up for Alpha.

We will Also be testing our Automated Update system Which will Update the Tool Saturday with Dialog as the first Update test. Then As we finish the tool Those in Beta will Be first to get Working updates and finished Extras as they come available.

The release Of alpha Will mark A 3 day vacation That me and Nick will take as We want to take A Small Break, and spend time with each other. It will also allow the Alpha testers a chance to try the tool and run it through its paces. Only thing we will do in that time is Set up the automated update for the tool which will happen first thing Saturday. And answer any questions from Alpha testers.

This will Also be posted in My main tread as well, I hope all those that get the tool Will At least Make a post on Designing a Modding tool about your response and experience using the tool.

There are still some know issues and We will get fixed before Beta, But they are minor issues that will not effect most people, but we want it prefect and very automated Where people do not have to Go looking for answers. But so far very Slick looking and very constant.

Also AS We close in Beta We will also my accept other alpha testers If they meet the guidelines, And We have Time to send Out the link. So We will keep this tread open and Periodically add a new tester Here and there. Till beta is open.

Thanks,
Yummie and Nick

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Only got back at 9am from last night, got your PM.

I will have to decline as I will not have much to do with opening my system to updates and who knows what else, was even more surprised to find it is an .EXE install file.

Break it down to a zip / rar / 7z with the main program and files in with manual updates and I will jump back on board this crazy train [:)]

Darkspire
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

What is the issue with an .exe? You are not allowed to run an .exe installer, but are allowed to run programs? Lack of admin account?
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

What is the issue with an .exe? You are not allowed to run an .exe installer, but are allowed to run programs? Lack of admin account?

To many security issues for a third party modding tool for me in its current form [8|]

Darkspire

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

For any program to run you need to:

1: Have some virus tool
2: Trust the developer
3: Trust the guy that made the language used by the developer

Some paranoia never hurts, though.

If you can run the tool without admin rights, I guess there is some security benefits compared to an installer that require it.

What are you preventive measures browsing the web? That is a dangerous thing to do :)
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

1: Yes
2: Unknown
3: Unknown

Paranoia is what keep the wolves from the door [:)]

As previously stated, it is a third party modding tool. I do not like the idea of allowing incoming data / update from these sorts of setups (been burnt once, never again), no insult intended but I do not know these folks, I have no intention of running off with the source files and selling them to a foreign power so an .EXE is a bit OTT IMO, put the main program in a zip / rar / 7z and allow manual downloading and applying of updates and I am in.

Darkspire
yummiesslave

Post by yummiesslave »

We decided to use one-click publishing for it's ease of use, both on the consumer's and our end. In order to do this, we have to provide you with an exe file. We'll be happy to provide you with the alpha source, if that would make you feel better, as the final version will be open source. You can use any tool to scan the site and the exe, there are no viruses. The only reason the publisher isn't verified is we're not willing to pay for something we're providing for free.

Nick
yummie

Post by yummie »

Of course we are going to be untrusted by virus scans because we have not bought a key. This is a free app made for free. That is why I provided you with a scan of the file and the web site results and even gave you a link to check it. You can use anyone you like to check it the results will be the same. I understand some trust issues. Which is why we plan on releasing the source for this. What your talking about requires money. I mean we could make this and sell it to make up the cost of it but that is just silly actually. We are doing this because we love a challenge and found this game interesting. But do what you want. As for the exe issues. You do realize that all programs have exe and it is required in order to run a program. SO you will get an exe from us weather its in a zip or not. I dont get why that is really a big issue. I can understand the automated updates but exe is where you have me scratching my head.

Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: yummie

Of course we are going to be untrusted by virus scans because we have not bought a key. This is a free app made for free. That is why I provided you with a scan of the file and the web site results and even gave you a link to check it. You can use anyone you like to check it the results will be the same. I understand some trust issues. Which is why we plan on releasing the source for this. What your talking about requires money. I mean we could make this and sell it to make up the cost of it but that is just silly actually. We are doing this because we love a challenge and found this game interesting. But do what you want. As for the exe issues. You do realize that all programs have exe and it is required in order to run a program. SO you will get an exe from us weather its in a zip or not. I dont get why that is really a big issue. I can understand the automated updates but exe is where you have me scratching my head.

I have no problems with an .EXE, it is an install to place that .EXE I am more bothered with, would feel much happier with a zip / rar /7z and extract it to a folder myself. The auto update is another issue but you have already stated that is understood, sorry but I would rather be on the safe side as I have had this happen before back in 02 with a very similar setup, not saying you folks are from the dark side but once bitten twice shy.

Darkspire
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Would love getting in on this. I just finished off a couple of shipsets and could use the tool to turn them into actual races :)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Look forward to the day when it is demand for a mac installer [;)]

Corrupt file system my ***
Igard

Post by Igard »

I'm with Darkspire on this for the simple reason that I don't know what clickonce is. From what I can tell it's all under microsofts umbrella, but for peace of mind I would prefer a compressed file that I can extract myself.

Regardless I have put my trust in this and installed it. So far it seems clean, but like I said, I have mild reservations.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

so.... how is the tool coming along?
feygan

Post by feygan »

ORIGINAL: hewwo

Frighteningly quiet considering the entire program was made such a short time, and now not a single peep regarding it.
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

ORIGINAL: feygan

ORIGINAL: hewwo

Frighteningly quiet considering the entire program was made such a short time, and now not a single peep regarding it.

True. I'm very interested in it, but the recent silence makes me worried.
Give us a sign or anything, please?
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

Return to “Design and Modding”