Can't built carrier

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Hawkeye_BF

Can't built carrier

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

Hi,

would be great if anybody could tell me why I can't built the Design carrier???
(Shadows 1.9.0.13, + extended mod)

Thank you very much in advance :)
Attachments
Carrier.jpg
Carrier.jpg (542.24 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Tcby

RE: Can't built carrier

Post by Tcby »

You haven't researched the necessary tech. It's the third tech in the middle of the fighter bay line - the line responsible for upgrading the fighters as opposed to bombers torpedo/missile bombers.

Edit: The tech is called Tactical Interceptors.
Dregula

Post by Dregula »

You must have the Technologie "Tactcal Interceptors" in the Weapons-Area.
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

Ahhh ok :) Thank you very much !!!
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

re: the above Carrier Design

-You have no Direct weapon systems other than the Point Defense so the 'Combat Targeting' is unnecessary. Fighters have their own built in systems. Countermeasures is good as it helps keep the Carrier alive.
-I find Point Defense to be of questionable utility. See below

This is a Fighter at the point you can first build Carriers, using DW Wiki Tech Trees

Tactical Interceptors
Project size 480k

Tactical Interceptor
Top Speed 135
Turn Rate 54°/sec
Shields 20
Targetting 50%
Countermeasures 86%
Weapons Damage 5
Weapons Range 200
Weapons Fire Rate 0.70 secs
Dedicated Carriers
Enable building of Carriers (when constructions size allows). Note that Carriers can be built 50% larger than current maximum ship construction size, but must dedicate 40% of their hull space to fighter bays.

This is the Point Defense Cannon you display above;

Enhanced Point Defense

Project size 480k
Improvements to Point Defense Cannon
Size 3 Static Energy Used: 0
Close-in weapons system that fires deadly bursts at enemy fighters, disabling or destroying them.
Damage 4
Range 170
Energy Used 4
Speed 470
Damage Loss 1 per 100 distance
Fire Rate 0.54 secs
Opens up: DualPhase Point Defense, Advanced Point Defense, Advanced Missiles

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
OK if we assume a 100% base chance to hit(doubt it is anywhere close to that high), plus the +10% Targeting, minus the 86% Fighter Countermeasures, would give a 76% miss rate, 24% hits.
20 improved PD Cannon shots x 24% = 4.8 Hits.
4.8 Hits at 4 damage in close, or 3 at range = 19.2(14.4) Damage

So with 20 PD Cannons every half second one Fighter will have its shields damaged, is that really worthy of 8% of your total ship size?
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I don't think a huge PD-capacity is all that important either, but that's mostly because it's usually quite easy to destroy the opposing fighter-platform. Once you blow that up, the fighters stop being an issue right away.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

It's more important to have some extra shields/armor. Since the AI don't use fighter that extensive like a player do.

Anyone else miss Railgun Fighters ? :-)
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

Ok :) Thank you so much for your help. I play that game more than 9 mounth but now its the first time I want to use carriers. By the way I ever played with difficulty "normal" but now with "hard" or "very hard", its a absolutly different feeling to the difficulty "normal". I love it!!!
Hawkeye_BF

Post by Hawkeye_BF »

So lets take a look for my new carrier design. In this case without PD but more armor and shields.
By the way, is a combat targetting system usefull for a carrier???

Attachments
20140208_065813.jpg
20140208_065813.jpg (513.43 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

By the way, is a combat targetting system usefull for a carrier???
No it don't help the fighters.

But for that ship size you maybe can add a few more engines, but then you need to add another reactor too.
It isn't nessesary but help when your ship/fleet try to refuel at planets. Sometimes a planet is close by or faster then your 10 cruise speed.

Later you maybe want to add Hyperdeny and remote shield charger to the design too.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I don't think planets are moving at speed 10, but moons may move at speed 3 which is the impulse speed and the one that is used when out of fuel.
Flinkebeinchen

Post by Flinkebeinchen »

I would go for less shield (~1000) and more engines. Maybe put some torpedos or missiles on the carrier, they tend to stay at max range and so they can fire while luring around the corner.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Flinkebeinchen

I would go for less shield (~1000) and more engines. Maybe put some torpedos or missiles on the carrier, they tend to stay at max range and so they can fire while luring around the corner.
Personally I keep the Carrier 'pure', and never mount any weapons, just defenses. But definitely have Hyper Deny equipped.
On a size 975 Carrier I would typically have 10 Fighter Bays. I tend to aim approximately for 50% Bays, 15% Shields, 15% Engines/Fuel/Maneuver, Countermeasures, Damage Control, Hyper Deny, Energy Collectors to cover static use, Misc...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”