4.6.269 Freeze

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

Mahatma

4.6.269 Freeze

Post by Mahatma »

Three times the game has frozen at 21:44. Other times that game has frozen I've just waited a while until the problem ends. This time I can't make progress.

Save attached.
Attachments
LosheimGap.zip
(467.81 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Have: Socks. Deodorant. £2 gloves. Mince pies.
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Phoenix100

RE: 4.6.269 Freeze

Post by Phoenix100 »

Not sure that attachment has worked, Mahatma. I can't open it. You should send saves to support@panthergames.com, with an explanation in the mail, so Dave knows what the save is about.

Peter

UPDATE: Yes, got it now, - it freezes for me too, exactly as you say. Good one! Send it to panther.
pierreoza

Post by pierreoza »

got some freeze too.

The game stop to responding: got to kill the process of "command ops".

nemo7

Post by nemo7 »

Same here. After the new build, I got big lag with zoom wheel and some freeze too. Rebuilding the cache didn't do any good
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Pheonix, you mean it freezes at 21:44?
Want: Line formation banned until I give a specific order to use line formation. Troops that don't take lie-ins until 0800 unless ordered to never rest.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Yes. Exactly as you said. Please send the save to Dave at support@panthergames.com Reference this thread.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Got it. Thanks. Although there's part of me that is not that grateful as this is one of those rare bugs programmers love to hate. I ran the save in the debugger and sure enough it does "hang" - ie doesn't crash but fails to move on. The trouble is the debugger loses the processes and can't step into it. I have put a break in and forced it to enter the call stack but it's what we programmers call "gobblygook" - a technical term. [;)]

So I am glad we can repeat it but this type of manifestation occurs rarely. I can think of only a few instances in the last fifteen years on this project that I have encountered this. I will now have to break at each event during that minute to first determine what event triggers this and then I will have to break at each function call within the event before I find the function where it occurs and then possibly line by line within that to get to the cause of the problem. This could take a while. I'll keep you informed.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

A very interesting issue indeed. After a lot of laborious debugging I have determined that in fact the game does not hang or freeze. In fact it just restarted ticking over the clock after a two or it may be three hour wait. What is happening is that the game is stuck in some very intensive calculations to determine a new depot lock for one of the bases. It appears to have been generating just under 7,000 routes. That must be some sort of record.

After reviewing the code I see that this could only happen if either the location the depot is currently in or some bottleneck like a bridge is hostile to the enemy - ie staying there would result in severe casualties for the depot. If either of these occurs then it means no route found would be considered suitable. Trouble is there is no bail out option programmed in. Previosuly this wasn't such an issue because we were using 1km control grids. But now that we are using 100m grids this means that with a 10km search range we can end up with a lot of potential grids and a lot of routes.

I am going to add some bail out code now. Very interesting if overly tedious.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Nice find Dave.
Hope the heat down there is not so bad at the moment.
Heat and tedium don't go well together.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

You are dead right about heat and tedium not going together. In fact they are good almost reliable source for nodding off in your chair around 1600 in the afternoon.[:)] Actually it was a stinker yesterday 38C. We're heading for 36C today and have the prospect of very high 30s to 40C for the next six days. Not pleasant. Climate change deniers I hate you.

Anyway back to the above "freeze" (at least it's a cool topic[;)]). We had a good discussion on our private dev forum about this issue and that led me to look at certain things that I would not have otherwise explored. The crux of the problem above is that when trying to find suitable potential locations for our depot we end up with far too many now that we have increased the fidelity of the control maps. To help prune out some of these I have introduced some additional tests based on the terrain. it now will mark as unsuitable any loc if it and its surrounding area out to 500m is dominated by crud terrain, provided the urbanCount is less than 3. The latter bit just says that if we have three x 100m grids that are urban then we can accept a bit of woods around us. I ran the save with this and only filtered out around 20 to 30 locs but hey it helps.

The big change came when I realised that one of the filters based on map control was not firing like I thought it should. I soon realised that the reason was because we had changed the fidelity of the grid it was in effect now only checking 100m where as before in effect it was checking out to 500. We don't want bases being within 500m of the enemy. SO I have changed it now so that it searches out 500m. I ran the test and hey presto not one loc was deemed suitable. I checked the map and sure enough the depot has been overrun and the enemy are all around it for about 5km. So it worked. In that particular case with no suitable locs it stays put which is a reasonable outcome as it had enemy units all around it.

So I am going to mark this as FIXED and will now press on with the hot fix.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Excellent. Thanks for sweating away at it! I'm not sure what it all means.....except it won't freeze......

Will this fix be in the hotfix also? Thanks

Peter
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

Well thanks for the bug fix! I found another unfortunately, where I couldn't set waypoints in the scenario 'Nobody Comes Back'. I checked again a few seconds ago and now I can set waypoints. Anyone else seen anything like this?
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: nemo7

Same here. After the new build, I got big lag with zoom wheel and some freeze too. Rebuilding the cache didn't do any good

I noticed for the first time today a lag when moving the map around within the game. It seems as if there is a brief pause and then the map snaps to where I stopped the movement. The smooth transition or glide from one area of the map to another is gone. Zooming in and out also seems to have some lag to it as well. This happens with both custom and stock maps.

Running the game at full speed is now producing noticeable slowdowns during the action. This typically only occurred in the past at 06:00 and 18:00 (for whatever reason), but now the game seems to slow down if not stall for brief periods when all that is happening on the map is units are moving with very little combat occurring.

Hopefully everything that Dave outlined in his responses will correct both the freezing and the “map lag”.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Does the same occur with the new hot fix build 4.6.270?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Does the same occur with the new hot fix build 4.6.270?

Nope - 4.6.270 makes it a happy game again

Check that: The map scroll lag is resolved however now I am receiving CTD when I choose to leave a completed game and sometimes when I start a game.

Is there a dump file that is generated that I could possibly submit?

Return to “Tech Support”