Should I play with all expansions or add them one-by-one?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Ghost Matter

Should I play with all expansions or add them one-by-one?

Post by Ghost Matter »

As the title says, is it recommended I play with all expansions or add them one-by-one? I have them all purchased but that much content seems (positively) overwhelming!
DasTactic

RE: Should I play with all expansions or add them one-by-one?

Post by DasTactic »

I'd play them all at once. It isn't like most games where more and more content is added and so there is a steeper learning curve. Rather it tends to enhance the existing game play and adds new things that don't really need a lot more explanation. I couldn't conceive of going back now. :)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Don't play Shadows until you learn the regular game or the pirates will overwelm your ass. I've played the series since the start and I still find things go too fast sometimes. Don't really like real time because of that. I've slowed it to a crawl but I get more messages than I want to deal with. Automating everything really helps but then the game is playing itself and you're just watching the ai play.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

Keep in mind that there are MASSIVE performance improvements with Shadows that didn't exist in Legends. Depending on your machine (mine is ancient), it may be desirable to run Shadows just for that aspect alone. [:)]

Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Don't play Shadows until you learn the regular game or the pirates will overwelm your ass. I've played the series since the start and I still find things go too fast sometimes. Don't really like real time because of that. I've slowed it to a crawl but I get more messages than I want to deal with. Automating everything really helps but then the game is playing itself and you're just watching the ai play.

But note that you can dial down the pirates in the options screen. I personally play shadows as a pre-warp empire, but I don't particularly like pirates, so I keep them down to the minimum. They don't really interfere with my game.
Osito
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

all.
adding them will only expand alrdy existing experience,which is stupid...why add it piece by piece if you can have whole pie ?
Ardilus

Post by Ardilus »

I wouldn't start under Legends. I don't know how we managed without ship/fleet destination arrows!

I say go with the whole package, but play a classic age empire your first few games. You can't regret it; DW has no equal.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Hi Ghost Matter, I highly recommend you start with all expansions and creating a game on normal difficulty with most things automated or at the very least set to suggest to you what to do. Then take control of as much of the game as you like and enjoy.

Each expansion comes with a lot of quality of life improvements and I wouldn't recommend anyone sacrifices them just so they can learn content, you can learn to play just by slowly lowering how much of your empire is automated.

Another recommendation to make your life easier first time round is possibly to tone down the pirates, although after a couple of games I would recommend trying it with the pirates turned back up to normal again to add challenge and more going on in your games.
Henzington

Post by Henzington »

Pirates are actually quite useful both to improve your reputation so other empires like you, to use to attack your enemies, and running smuggling missions for certain resources.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

They can be. But in early games you will feel quite harassed by the many raids I think.
Canute0

Post by Canute0 »

Pirates can be usefuel but they can be your ruin too.
Yes they can increase your Reputation, but only when you destroy Bases, destroying pirates ships don't help, but you can capture them for new tech or resources.

But when you got to much or to strong pirates they can ruin your infrastrcture if you refuse to pay them or you don't got money anymore.

Thats why a beginer should set the pirates to few and maybe let them respawn, he he allways can find new bases.
elanaagain

Post by elanaagain »

My suggestion: Start play with all except pirates, learn basic of playing DW with your playstyle. Then, add pirates. OR, as an alternative, start DW with pirates installed, but in the game set up, make them really weak: few in number, start far away, don't re spawn, etc.
USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Haree78

They can be. But in early games you will feel quite harassed by the many raids I think.

Especially if you play with many pirates, nearby, and strong. I know from experience. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
jsolo15

Post by jsolo15 »

I just got the basic game on a friend recommendation. Was going to pickup, Return of the Shakturi so I can play Spock Era v1.1 mod. I use to play Star Fleet battles in College and loved the Star Fleet Command series. The ship model Igard created are amazing. Igard would you ever add the ISC ships? I use to love playing them in SFB. (back on point)

I have a question for all you veteran. I was reading that a new upgrade Distant Worlds Universe is coming soon. If I understand correctly that suppose to be the entire game all in one box/download. So,should I wait to pick that up?

I like the Vanilla game so far very fun. (I wish I could change the ship modules) Hey can have it all.) Found a couple good Let play video that help me a lot with the game.
Jsolo
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

All of them.

And of course, use the Newbie Guide for Full Automation, the Manly Way to Play. [:D]
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
jsolo15

Post by jsolo15 »

I did read thru you guide very good. I have already started on my first game. I want to finish it. My next game I will try it
I currently only have Vanilla DW. I want to buy Return of the Shakturi, so I can try out the Spock Star Trek mod. I will use your guide
when I start that. Are you going to continue the guide on how to get out of debt? I hope you do as it a very good read. Maybe you can even do
a lets play video.
ORIGINAL: Timotheus

All of them.

And of course, use the Newbie Guide for Full Automation, the Manly Way to Play. [:D]
Jsolo
Ghost Matter

Post by Ghost Matter »

Thanks. I really wanted to see the improvements incrementally so I just read the manuals and played the tutorials before installing the next one.

I'm wondering if I should have waited to purchase now that Universe has been announced...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”