convoys

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

castor troy

convoys

Post by castor troy »

Hi

so I've decided to play a round of Transport Tycoon in the Pacific (wonder if that will be fun) and I am fiddling around with some convoys to get the tens of thousand ressources per day to Japan. Now I've been reading
a comment that said "shipping ressources from Hokkaido to Japan"... WHAT? Well, Hokkaido is one of the four main islands of Japan and I always have been thinking that if there is only 1 hex between two bases on the
main islands, supply, fuel, ressources is moving on it's own?

Is above's comment correct that not only do I have to move stuff to "Japan" but also within the four main islands? Is this crazy or what?

thanks for any info, am thinking about throwing in right away as I am more the wargame fanboy than getting fun out of creating convoys to move electrodes around
Xargun

RE: convoys

Post by Xargun »

Hokkaido produces far more resources than the auto transport system will ever move between Ominato and Hakodate so you need to run convoys from Hakkaido to Japan to get full advantage of the resource production. I run them from Hakodate to Ominato and then Sapporo to Ominato.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Xargun

Hokkaido produces far more resources than the auto transport system will ever move between Ominato and Hakodate so you need to run convoys from Hakkaido to Japan to get full advantage of the resource production. I run them from Hakodate to Ominato and then Sapporo to Ominato.

thanks for the info. So the other three main islands are fine or do I have to ship fuel and ressources to each and every island?

And what about fuel to Hokkaido?
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

You have to move resources and oil to Honshu from Sakhalin and Hokkaido. Its not that hard, just set up appropriate CS convoys to do it for you. Painless
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

If you check in Tracker, Hokkaido has ~1800 days' worth of Fuel for its HI at the start. Or basically, enough to run some small ops out of Hokkaido and retaining HI production for the entire war. So don't ship any out, and you may need to ship some in if you use Hokkaido as a base.

For the Resource convoys, you actually only need to use ports other than Hakodate at the beginning, when you're withdrawing from the Resource Bank Of Hokkaido. Once you're down to low levels of Resources, Hakodate->Ominato should be able to handle the surplus. Or Muroran if you need just a little bit of extra. The Hakodate->Ominato run is only 6 hexes round trip. Sapporo->Ominato is more than double that. That's a lot of extra fuel burned over the course of the war.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

thx for the comments guys, silly me forgot about the CS convoys as I never trusted the AI and did all myself back in WITP.

edit: is it possible to give a CS convoy waypoints or is the routing up to the AI which wouldn't make me happy I guess
CT Grognard

Post by CT Grognard »

The problem is that the distance between Hakodate and Ominato is two hexes (due to an impassable hexside, IIRC) hence no automatic transfer. The other Home Islands transfer automatically.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I believe you can set waypoints, as you can set other routing options such as direct/safer/coastal. I have no experience using waypoints however, as my convoys are generally short hops and I haven't yet faced the 1944 supersub menace.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

edit: is it possible to give a CS convoy waypoints or is the routing up to the AI which wouldn't make me happy I guess

I'll have to check if I have waypoints set for any of my CS convoys, I'm drawing a blank right now. I think you can and if you select 'return by same route' it simply reverses the course for the return trip including the waypoints set. The coastal option works well too which often negates the need to set waypoints anyway. At least for the Hakodate - Ominato waypoints aren't needed. I CS them and leave well enough alone. I do send fuel to Hokaido to facilitate transport needs.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
obvert

Post by obvert »

You can set waypoints. I do it all of the time all of the way from Singers to the HI.

It's actually a lot easier to play the Japanese side in my opinion than deal with all of the many national types, device pools, airframe replacements and other logistics on the Allied side. I just set the Japanese stuff up and let it go. Then check back after a few months to see if anything is crashing. Tweak and go again. if the subs get frisky I micromanage transport convoys until they go away.

It's actually pretty fun, and as long as you just set a lt of stuff up in the beginning and take care not to expand anything quickly, you'll be fine. [:)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

Yes. Just make sure that routing control is direct or direct/coastal, so you don´t get stuff influencing your (return)routing, and also do not forget to set "return same route" to 'Yes'.

There are rumors that "return same route" does not work (I had a discussion with Canoerebel about it IIRC), but for me it always did. It might depend on how you interprete it. I think this switch only triggers the routing control to use the set waypoints in the inverse order, which obviously does not automatically guarantee that the return route is identical hex-per-hex.

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The Auto Convoy convoy system also has been greatly improved in the betas as well (I know because I helped get it fixed [:)]). Although you cannot set up waypoints like you can with CSs. But it also makes thinks easy for Japan.

I typically put any PB/xAK with a speed of 12 or less in Osaka and assign them all the AC duty. In my last game as Japan they did a good job of carting stuff around including Oil and resources. Of course the major locations I used CSs or manually did them.
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Yes. Just make sure that routing control is direct or direct/coastal, so you don´t get stuff influencing your (return)routing, and also do not forget to set "return same route" to 'Yes'.

There are rumors that "return same route" does not work (I had a discussion with Canoerebel about it IIRC), but for me it always did. It might depend on how you interprete it. I think this switch only triggers the routing control to use the set waypoints in the inverse order, which obviously does not automatically guarantee that the return route is identical hex-per-hex.

I am using waypoints for my CS convoys and have the return route marked yes and have had no problems. It is a small route I'm using this on, but so far its going great.
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: Xargun

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

I am using waypoints for my CS convoys and have the return route marked yes and have had no problems. It is a small route I'm using this on, but so far its going great.

Yes, all good stuff. I've one this as mentioned above, with very long convoy systems that just kept running for years!

I use direct and return routing, and it does work perfectly for me with waypoints. Also, I set absolute threat tolerance for these as the only threat is subs for most of the war, and these settings just ensures nothing will ounce off route into deep water sub infested areas.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”