Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

0.7.12 notes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> 0.7.12 notes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
0.7.12 notes - 1/10/2014 6:18:17 AM   
stilicho410

Just back from holiday, so I didn't have time to get fully through a full game of 0.7.12 this week. I figured I'd release what notes I had, before version 13 comes out. Apologies if others have already made any of these notes.

Interface Suggestions:
- Pioneer 4 Mission Step 5 is listed as "Earth Orbit". A better name might be "Trans-Lunar Injection"
- When displaying selected Mission Controllers, the black text against the silhouettes is hard to read. (see attached picture) Suggest a different text color.
- When one sets up "advanced training" for a person on the lower section of a scrolled list, one is then returned to the top of the scrolled list. It would be nice if you were returned to the same point of the scrolled list.
- "Manage Programs" button. When one selects an open program from this list, you initially go the the first program in the Mission Configurations list. Some may disagree, but I'd prefer to initially go to the first Mission Configuration that has not yet been flown.
- I'd still like to see a "Manage Programs" shortcut added to the shortcut bar on the left of the headquarters screen.

Gameplay Suggestions:
- I realize you're still calibrating money. To meet the short term campaign goals, it looks like you need the following buildings for the first few periods.
--> Satellite/Spaceplane goals: Level 1 Astronaut, Level 2 SET, Level 1 Mission Control, Level 1 HQ
--> Orbital Flight/Lunar Pass goals: Level 1 Astronaut, Level 3 SET, Level 2 Mission Control, Level 1 HQ
(I'll continue this list when I have more time to play.)

So far, I've managed to achieve these goals, but my ongoing expenses pretty much take up the whole budget, so the cost of flight hardware and building expansion comes from my gradually decreasing initial funds, which look to be exhausted sometime in the mid 1960's. I'll then have to live wholly within my budget.
It might be more realistic to start the game with not much more than one season's budget, and calibrate the budget figures for each period to what might be expected to meet the short-term goals.

Chrome Suggestion:
I'm sure someone worked very hard on the background music, but it becomes quite repetitious after a while. For now, you could expand the sound track with public domain music. After all, Kubrick did this for "2001". I think "Blue Danube", "Also Sprach Zarathustra", and "Gayane Ballet Suite" would sound pretty good in this game.

Question:
- I really do appreciate the "Auto-Assign Best Candidates" button for Flight Controller/Astronaut selection. My question is, for positions like "Flight", "AFD" and Astronaut positions that use multiple stats, does the Auto-Assign use one stat to rank, or a weighted average of all the stats? I'd prefer the latter system.
(In particular, I was wondering whether when I was using "Auto-Assign" on astronauts, whether it looked at leadership and just went with that.)

Attachment (1)

Thanks,
Stilicho
Post #: 1
RE: 0.7.12 notes - 1/10/2014 11:48:01 AM   
CowboyRonin

I can address a few of these myself - the rest will be referred to the developers.

On the Pioneer 4 mission step, I'll have to double check what's in the game. In the development side, that step is the Earth-Moon Transit (i.e. coasting flight between the Earth and the Moon). I don't remember every seeing that addressed as Earth Orbit.

The Auto-Assign does do well for Flight and AFD, because it knows that the relevant skill is always an average. The one caveat I have seen is this - it staffs the positions in order, so it staffs AFD before Flight, resulting in a more skilled person in AFD. I would keep an eye on that and be prepared to reverse those two selections. For Astronauts, it just uses Leadership right now, and the missions are so dynamic (the skills used vary with each stage) that it would be difficult to program the auto-selector to get it right for a given mission. For X-15 and Mercury, you're going to need to find the best mix of Leadership, Piloting and Fitness (Leadership is used in these missions as a "right stuff" stand-in). For Gemini and Apollo, the skills vary by position (Leadership for the Commander, Piloting for the Pilot) and mission (the Pilot will need EVA skill for the EVA missions).

Matrix forum liaison to Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager team

Gary Grigsby's War in the West alpha tester

(in reply to stilicho410)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager >> 0.7.12 notes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI