OT Books

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Symon

OT Books

Post by Symon »

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light". Third book of his Liberation Trilogy. Only a quarter the way through, but it is dense and beautiful. Knew why he got the Pulitzer for "Army at Dawn", but add in "Day of Battle", and especially this one, and you have some of the best history ever written about men (and nations) at war.

I am beyond impressed at his understanding and nuance. This man is a giant ! Ciao. John
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
SqzMyLemon

RE: OT Books

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've read the first two in the trilogy and was really impressed. Some of the best books I've read about WWII.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

John -

I read "Crusade" shortly after retirement from the USMC.

Came across "Army at Dawn" periodically, and put it on my "eventually read" list. I did not make the connection with "Crusade" at the time.

I bought "Army at Dawn" for my kindle moments ago; after buying six books yesterday (my awesome wife forgives me...).

Thank You for the recommendation, I know it will be good.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
Thank You for the recommendation, I know it will be good.
Mac
Buy them and read them, Mac. IMHO his books are the best there ever was. IMHO they are as good as or better than Cornelius Ryan. His writing style is Pulitzer quality. His work is exceptional. Can't say any more than, I read and I wept. Ciao. John
Yippy Ki Yay.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light". Third book of his Liberation Trilogy. Only a quarter the way through, but it is dense and beautiful. Knew why he got the Pulitzer for "Army at Dawn", but add in "Day of Battle", and especially this one, and you have some of the best history ever written about men (and nations) at war.

I am beyond impressed at his understanding and nuance. This man is a giant ! Ciao. John
Hi John,

Finished his trilogy myself last month. I have read a number of books about the Western Front in the Second World War, but appreciated some of his unique spin on the personalities and their impact on Allied cohesion, for example. Of the three, I think I preferred "Army at Dawn", as it dealt with a much underappreciated aspect of the war, IMO.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Agreed. I acquired the audiobook of volume 3 over the holidays and will start it shortly.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Have the first of the three and haven't read it yet. I knew they gained awards but didn't know they were that good. Will move them up the list.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

ok...on the recommendation I ordered today.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I'm just about through Foote's trilogy. I guess I'll have to follow your advice. Don't let it go to your head.

rsallen64

Post by rsallen64 »

Yes, they are excellent, truly first rate. For a Pacific War trilogy that I am just starting the last book of (just got it for Christmas), check out Bruce Gamble's Rabaul Trilogy - Invasion Rabaul, Fortress Rabaul, and Target Rabaul. Not quite Atkinson, but good nonetheless.
Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm Beta Tester
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I just ordered all three. You'll be hearing from me Symon if I'm disappointed. Now a question for you: Did George W. Bush disappoint Harriet Miers?

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'm working the last one. The 1st two were magnificent , and this one seems to be of the same caliber. [:)]
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

"Army at Dawn" has met and exceeded all expectations. It was very difficult to read about the two attempted harbor assaults, and the 1100 mile Para drop.

Atkinson's writing is superb, and truly captures the human and political drama that influenced each and every decision. His description of combat is very gritty and realistic, and he captures the very different perspectives and attitudes displayed by the nationalities involved.

My only regret in buying a kindle version, is that the maps are very small and do not seem to enlarge.

I give him five stars, and will read through the full trilogy before picking up one of the many fine reads that are waiting on my shelf.

rsallen64 thank you for recommending Bruce Gamble. I will most definitely check that series out.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I've almost finished "The Battle of Britain" by James Holland. I can't base a recommendation on any kind of scholastic knowledge of my own, but in terms of whether I enjoyed the book and learned something I can say yes. I hardly wanted to put it down at times and I've thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Just got my Christmas copy of Rick Atkinson's "Guns at Last Light".

I bought all of them about 3 weeks ago, a lot of positive feedbacks.
Now my problem is the lacking of shelves [:D]
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I'd like to think this forum has this kind of influence:

"An Army at Dawn" - 11 holds on 28 copies
"The Day of Battle" - 11 holds on 19 copies
"The Guns at Last Light" - 30 holds on 71 copies

Similar numbers (higher percentages) on the audiobook versions, no holds on any of his other books.

These are reports gathered over the last 5 minutes from the King County Library System (Washington). There's either a heck of a history class being taught somewhere, an unbelievable interest in the subject among the general public, or there are more silent forumites than we know of!
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Gents -

My only regret in buying a kindle version, is that the maps are very small and do not seem to enlarge.

Mac

Kindle is for kindling.

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Gents -

Mac

Kindle is for kindling.

Geoff -

When it comes to maps, which are rarely made for magnification, Kindle is indeed for kindling.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Good thing we know those maps backwards and forwards now, eh?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Gents -
"Army at Dawn" has met and exceeded all expectations. It was very difficult to read about the two attempted harbor assaults, and the 1100 mile Para drop.

Atkinson's writing is superb, and truly captures the human and political drama that influenced each and every decision. His description of combat is very gritty and realistic, and he captures the very different perspectives and attitudes displayed by the nationalities involved.
Mac
This is a totally apocryphal story I heard at a reunion. Atkinson was embedded with the 101st for Storm and Surge. He spent time with troops on the ground and was well received. He spent much time with Petreus, and talked with him a lot.

Petreus was “heard” to have said “I thought this guy was an Ivy League weenis [sic], but I would put him in my Ops shop any day. We lost a great one … “

Far be it of me to render truth from apocrypha, but the guy who was buying the Vodka was a person I respect.

Ciao. John
Yippy Ki Yay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”