invasion fleet picks up troops w/o being instructed

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Kayoz

invasion fleet picks up troops w/o being instructed

Post by Kayoz »

Description:
Invading fleet will pick up troops from invaded planet immediately after a successful invasion.

Steps to reproduce:

Create a fleet of troop transports. Load troops (probably manually, ship-by-ship due to this defect). Invade a nearby independent planet. Observe fleet actions after invasion.

Note:

Fleet on manual control.
Empire troop load policy disabled.
Fleet not given any further orders after "invade X".
I can upload a save file if necessary, but this is a doddle to reproduce and shouldn't be necessary.

Version:
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
bvoid

RE: invasion fleet picks up troops w/o being instructed

Post by bvoid »

Garrison the troops if you want them to stay. Any ungarrisoned troops will get picked up.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: bvoid

Garrison the troops if you want them to stay. Any ungarrisoned troops will get picked up.

You're missing the point.

A manually controlled fleet ordered to invade SHOULD NOT pick up troops post-invasion without being directed to do so.

This is, as far as I can tell, incorrect behaviour.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Osito

Post by Osito »

Kayoz, I think there must be some additional specific circumstances causing the bug. I didn't recall ever seeing this happen, so I tried testing it:

1. Normal empire in age of shadows. Tech level = 7 (so I can build whatever).
2. Start game.
3. Check fleets are manual and troop load policy disabled.
3. Add an independent colony in my home system.
4. Create a fleet of 5 troop transports near to independent colony, and give them each four troops.
5. Invade independent colony on a variety of fleet settings (eg attack/defence, etc.).
6. Could not reproduce your problem. My fleet just hangs there in space while the planet moves away. I can confirm none of the invading troops were garrisoned.

The only way I could reproduce your problem was by setting the fleet to automatic after the invasion, but I doubt that was the problem you were seeing. So it looks to me that there is some additional factor causing this behaviour, something additional to the steps you set out in your post.
Osito
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

File uploaded:
DWS-19013-troopload.rar

Observe planet: Klen in system Secura

Fleet 3, transports 1-4 drop troops (5 doesn't make it in time). Pause while invasion is in progress. Note presence of troops on the planet and number of troops in the fleet during the invasion (all troops in transports 1-4 are on planet). Wait for invasion to complete. Check troops on planet and in fleet - they're back on the transports. Less 2 infantry - which I have no idea why they (and the general) stay. This seems to be recurring - transports stubbornly refuse to pick up the last couple of troops unless individually ordered.

It seems they don't pick up the troops - they just "magically" pop back onto the transports.
Osito

Post by Osito »

I tried your save game, and I saw almost the same behaviour. The only difference I saw was that all the troops were picked up. Only the troop general was left behind. It did look like two troops were left behind, but these turned out to be two units that were being recruited, rather than existing units. I don't understand why the invading troops returned to their ships (I can't reproduce that in my own games), nor do I understand why the newly conquered planet was recruiting two troops of its own accord. It may require Elliotg to enlighten us.

Osito
Osito

Return to “Tech Support”