AI - Will it be improved?

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

StellarRat

AI - Will it be improved?

Post by StellarRat »

This game got a pretty good rating in the ArmChair General - 89%. They said the AI was weak though. Are their plans to make the AI tougher (without it cheating of course)? I'd probably buy it if that is the plan.
eyegore

RE: AI - Will it be improved?

Post by eyegore »

I think the A.I. is okay. the biggest problem seems to me to be with diplomacy...in where your get games the A.I. never declares war. When it does, it certainly is capable. I've been wiped off the map several times. However I've also had games where if I can withstand it's first attack...it then has no plan b and often wants a deal to cease hostilities.

I lost 8 games before I won one. I cannot say that about Civ5. Warlock:Master of the Arcane or even the original SMAC. It needs some work, but is far from the brain dead A.I. of those titles.
balto

Post by balto »

I think you are saying Pandora is AI is better than CIV 5. Wow, that is not how I see it. I am not defending CIV 5 at all, but I am saying that Pandora's AI is much worse than Civ 5.

Can you provide an example of Pandora's AI being good? I see no tactics when in combat -- just city sprawl, research that is meaningless and requires no planning, unit creation, and, as you state, no diplomacy.

I was hoping this game was a copy of CIV 5 with a different twist being on a distant planet.. it cannot hold a candle to CIV 5. I also think the Warlock series is much better than this by a long shot.

I did not want to be hurtful, but when you bring down other games that are much better than Pandora, I thought I would say something.

This is just my opinion, and it may be worthless.
eyegore

Post by eyegore »

Civ5 has a one unit per hex rule...which looks great on paper but when you play the game you discover it is not able to combine arms via it's own rule set to put up a challenge. I've played lots of civ5 games. I have never lost one. The A.I. is incapable of waging an arms war. The only way it can win is through victory conditions like a science win. Pandora can defeat you in all it's victory conditions. I know because i've lost games in all of them.

Also unlike Civ5, where germany is merely defined by it's name and a couple units ...Pandora races are defined by their idealoical beliefs and play that way from turn one to end game. City management is superior as well. In civ you put a worker on a tile and you get that whole tile's resources. In Pandora it's job based. If a tile has 2 food and 1 mineral...you assign a miner you get the one mineral. you assign a farmer you get the 2 food. Pair that with the ingame migration system....where citizens migrate to cities that offer better living conditions and you soon see the deeper and superior setup. It's a far better system that makes far more sense.

Play the 5 factions on a single landmass on normal difficulty and see Pandora's A.I. and do the same in Warlork or Civ5. Turn off all victory conditions except military. There's only one title among the three that will beat you.And keep in mind Pandora is fresh off the press. Warlock and Civ have been around a year's plus...it's A.I. is as good as it's ever gonna be....whereas they just started patching Pandora.

I see as many threads about it being too difficult as I see about being easy. As I said...I think the main area is diplomacy. It's can't decide wether to like you or hate you based on ingame actions. It's random. It is now. after patched, upgrading it's units and destroying improvements...but needs work...but in the above senerio if you play a game your see it's very capable of defeating you.
Sacktime

Post by Sacktime »

Improve the AI LOL, my first and only 3 attempts ended in complete destruction. The other factions are leap years ahead of me in all aspects, and that's from first contact. Maybe I just had a bad first colony location, maybe I'm really that bad (unlikely, have played Civ II, Civ III, Alpha Centauri, Civ 4 so familiarity with the game concept is not an issue).

To you who are wishing for a stronger AI, I salute you [&o]

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The AI is being continually improved and a coming update will make significant changes to the diplomacy side & how it declares war etc. A bug is giving it some erratic behavior and they are working to resolve this in particular.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Sacktime

Improve the AI LOL, my first and only 3 attempts ended in complete destruction. The other factions are leap years ahead of me in all aspects, and that's from first contact. Maybe I just had a bad first colony location, maybe I'm really that bad (unlikely, have played Civ II, Civ III, Alpha Centauri, Civ 4 so familiarity with the game concept is not an issue).

To you who are wishing for a stronger AI, I salute you [&o]

Yeah but those ai's weren't spectacular in the first place. Sadly I'm more worried about them dumbing down this ai like they did Spartan when people started to whine about it being too hard.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: balto

I think you are saying Pandora is AI is better than CIV 5. Wow, that is not how I see it. I am not defending CIV 5 at all, but I am saying that Pandora's AI is much worse than Civ 5.

Can you provide an example of Pandora's AI being good? I see no tactics when in combat -- just city sprawl, research that is meaningless and requires no planning, unit creation, and, as you state, no diplomacy.

I was hoping this game was a copy of CIV 5 with a different twist being on a distant planet.. it cannot hold a candle to CIV 5. I also think the Warlock series is much better than this by a long shot.

I did not want to be hurtful, but when you bring down other games that are much better than Pandora, I thought I would say something.

This is just my opinion, and it may be worthless.

Hate to disagree with you but CIV V is a pile of doo doo. They took out everything good about IV and basically ruined any ai that the Civ series had. II and IV are the best and will always be the best. All the rest are just wannabe's and I'm glad I only paid a few dollars for it on one of those 75% off sales on steam. It was a total waste of my money. But, I'm getting smarter and only buying games on discount from various sites. It's why I still hesitate on Pandora because of the back n forth here about the ai. I had some challenging games of Civ III & IV but when I got V I couldn't believe how easy it was. Best go be a fanboi on the CIV forums.[:'(]
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Well, you must be the super best strategy gamer. Civ V is a very good game, and it gives me a challenge. I am certainly not a great player like you, but it is nowhere near a pile of doo doo.

And, I am not a fanboy at all. I just don't like when games get trash talked that badly for no good reason.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

I love Civ V too :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

I love Civ V too :)

Oh Iain you're like Mikey only the opposite you love everything. [:D] Your vote doesn't count as much. Hurry up and release Heroes of Stalingrad and we won't need to trash Civ V the worst of the series and always will be imho. [;)]

Return to “Pandora Series”