Naval Air Attack

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Geoff Farthing

Naval Air Attack

Post by Geoff Farthing »

Hi Guys, Pretty basic question here...When conducting a Naval Air Attack in the open sea am I correct in thinking this is achieved by using search planes to locate and or setting about 20% of the Naval Attack as search, then when the AI locates a TF it will perform Naval Attack
Barb

RE: Naval Air Attack

Post by Barb »

Hi, basically yes - To launch an attack against ships, you had to locate them first.
In game terms: Planes on Naval search raise the Detection Level of the target Task Force (subject on several rolls). Then some more rolls are done and when passed, the Naval strike will be launched. And yet more rolls are done to calculate hits and damages.

For best results use unit with high Naval Search skills in Naval Search mission and unit with Naval Bombing/Torpedo skill for strike. Or use a unit that has both these skills with percentage settings Naval Attack+%Naval Search.
Geoff Farthing

Post by Geoff Farthing »

Hi Barb, Many thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated, I thought I was on the right track but sometimes you are never quite sure.:)
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

also if your target has aircover/CAP ,there is a higher chance the strike will not fly.

lots of other reasons too. field size,leadership,pilot fatigue etc. you name it strikes can go wrong.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
Geoff Farthing

Post by Geoff Farthing »

Thanks RMS...That may well explain why the flights do not always seem to do as they are told! I always tend to think that there is a reason why actions do not happen how you plan them, its good fun tying to work it out...bit of a steep learning curve. This is my first stab at the Grand Campaign after having the game for a year.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

you feel so enlarged when you veiw the map and see all the bases.

then reality strikes.

for all intents and purposes,

a level 1 airfield is good for, search, transfering and point CAP and not much else,

a level 2 air field is good for CAP and single engine attack plus what a level 1 can do.

a level 3 is good for twin engine attack but likely extended bomb load.

level 4 full twin attack and 4 engines likely extended bomb load.

level 5 most restrictions are gone.

BUT

you also need support and supply for them to fly.

rule of thumb. one aviation support squad per engine,
some like per airframe but as an AFB i go per engine.

one support squad per aviation support squad,

this keep the troops from disabling on their own.

BUT

all this is moot if you cannot keep them supplied

rule of thumb 1000 supply per airframe, 5000 for 4 engines,

i put torpedoes under supply as torps cost supply. look for an HQa. on its TOE should be a torpedo device.

click on the device and buy torpedoes.

the HQa will now supply torpedoes to air squadrons in its range.

if you do torp strikes check the HQa for enough torps and buy more.

(grand mother/eggs)

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

Return to “The War Room”