I like this game.

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

Dr. Foo

I like this game.

Post by Dr. Foo »

I missed play Alpha Centauri so when I saw this I thought I would give it a try. While it is not nearly as deep as AC, it's still fun to play and very modable.

I don't like is that there are only 6 factions (hopefully more will come with patches or expansions packs).

Stacks of doom...really? Why are we still seeing stacks of doom? Please limit units per hex to something reasonable 3, 5, 10 anything but unlimited!

Random tech tree has got to go. Make a tree and stick with it, one tree for every game.

The AI is very aggressive (I like that), but it tends to put all it's eggs in one basket, picks one city and lunches it's entire army at it. If I can survive the initial onslaught the rest of the war is just mopping up as the AI has noting in reserve.

Just a few tweaks and this game would be so much better.

I've played a few games, modded it to my liking. I've only had one crash but loaded the autosave file and everything working great for the rest of the game.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty good game for the price, lots of fun and has great potential if the support is there to fix some of the issues.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
eyegore

RE: I like this game.

Post by eyegore »

I'm fine with stacks of dome. Civ 5 , warlock and all these 1 unit per hex titles have an A.I. that can't even cope with it's own ruleset. i've never lost a single game in any of them because they can't combine arms to put up a challenge. Limited units per stack can only work if you have an A.I. that knows how to use it's units. Sometimes old ways are better. And here even with stacks of doom, and it's okay if it has an edge...has no backup plan if the A.I. loses that stack. I could just imagine the mess limited stacks would cause.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: eyegore

I'm fine with stacks of dome. Civ 5 , warlock and all these 1 unit per hex titles have an A.I. that can't even cope with it's own ruleset. i've never lost a single game in any of them because they can't combine arms to put up a challenge. Limited units per stack can only work if you have an A.I. that knows how to use it's units. Sometimes old ways are better. And here even with stacks of doom, and it's okay if it has an edge...has no backup plan if the A.I. loses that stack. I could just imagine the mess limited stacks would cause.

That's a great point and something I did not consider. You're correct Civ V's AI is awful and it spams out catapults throws them to the front where they get chewed up. It has no idea how to use the units it has, so if SoD prevent that I think it's a good trade off.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
boulugre

Post by boulugre »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

Stacks of doom...really? Why are we still seeing stacks of doom? Please limit units per hex to something reasonable 3, 5, 10 anything but unlimited!

Stack of doom are in but they are heavily balanced by artillery and orbital bombardment/nukes/ black holes. Staking all your troop is the perfect recipe for a quick defeat....

I actually really like this system as you have to find the right balance between splitting your troops for not beeing to much damages by bombardments and stacking them so they can protect each other.

AI knows that and tend to split its troop but it's still pretty easy to commit mass colonial troopers murders [:D]

The game however takes all it's dimension in MP, where placement and movement of troops take all it's importance and usually dictate the winner.

Return to “Pandora Series”