Graphics Help

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Peeking Duck?

Graphics Help

Post by Peeking Duck? »

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a couple of graphics related questions?

1. I would like to change the look/colours of the forms for each country. Is this possible? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

2. I would also like to change the primary colour for certain country's counters. For instance I would like to make the British a Khaki colour, etc. Possible?

Cheers,
Peeking

Peeking Duck?

RE: Graphics Help

Post by Peeking Duck? »

Nevermind. Sorted.
Derne

Post by Derne »

How about sharing your insights with the rest of us?
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you change the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

Attachments
2014_01_25..wealth_..jpg
2014_01_25..wealth_..jpg (197.13 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you chance the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

That looks very nice. [:)]

But I'll stay with the original colours or I will be confused and make silly mistakes. [:D]

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

In the bitmaps folder there are files with counters. The 'page' files are just like countersheets waiting to be punched. If you change the main colour per counter the results is like below (I only changed page08.bmp)

It is difficult to change the colors for the air and naval counters. That's because the originals are anti-aliased - which means the colors around the plane and ship images are modified depending on the unit's background color. The easiest way to see the differences is to replace the background color with white and black. The graphics artist who created the ones used in MWIF (taken from WIF FE) had the original plane and ship images and then ran an anti-aliasing routine for the given background color.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

For land units, the colors are defined for each country. See the appendices in Players Manual volume 2 for the details concerning that.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

For land units, the colors are defined for each country. See the appendices in Players Manual volume 2 for the details concerning that.

I understand why Khaki in Flames was released. Dark blue is a bit strenuous for the eyes. I still might change only the colours for the ships and planes in the future for that reason. Will accept the aliasing which will occur. CW does not have that many land units.....[;)]
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I understand why Khaki in Flames was released. Dark blue is a bit strenuous for the eyes. I still might change only the colours for the ships and planes in the future for that reason. Will accept the aliasing which will occur. CW does not have that many land units.....[;)]

Is see what you mean. See screenshot. Air units are no problem, not that many of the naval units have this actually.

Attachments
2014_01_26..mp_Paint.jpg
2014_01_26..mp_Paint.jpg (43.06 KiB) Viewed 695 times
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

and the final result:

Attachments
2014_01_26.._47_Aden.jpg
2014_01_26.._47_Aden.jpg (193.9 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

Good work! Nothing says wartime Britain like Khaki. [8D]
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

and the final result:

You have done some fine work there. [&o] I like the border effect. Makes me consider looking into changing the color ever so slightly for all the nations. Just to make the Air and Naval stand out from the ground units.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

I like the border effect as well - but did not plan this. Was not visible in the pool screenshot I took the first time. Suddenly appeared.
Gives a sophisticated effect, and reminds you they are Commonwealth units.
The Anti-Aliasing Steve mentioned is quickly brushed away for the most important units, like the Convoys.
For betatesting I will continue using the old colours - not wanting to bring Steve in confusion - but for normal purposes I think I will stick with these colours.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I like the border effect as well - but did not plan this. Was not visible in the pool screenshot I took the first time. Suddenly appeared.
Gives a sophisticated effect, and reminds you they are Commonwealth units.
The Anti-Aliasing Steve mentioned is quickly brushed away for the most important units, like the Convoys.
For betatesting I will continue using the old colours - not wanting to bring Steve in confusion - but for normal purposes I think I will stick with these colours.

I don't like that colour. Since I'm partially colourblind, I'm heaving problems locating the British now. The background of clear (and probably also desert hexes) seems to me to have the same colour as the background of the units. I only sea a small square, the symbol and the numbers...
Peter
Ichirou989

Post by Ichirou989 »

I have to say that I do like this idea having seen the Khaki in Flames counters in actual use at our local game store. I found that at least for me, it was both easier on the eyes and seemed more appropriate for the CW, and that's despite the fact that I've been used to them being in blue all these years. It would be nice to see this set as a mod or an option in game, thus allowing those who are colorblind to still use the original colors.
A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

I have to say that I do like this idea having seen the Khaki in Flames counters in actual use at our local game store. I found that at least for me, it was both easier on the eyes and seemed more appropriate for the CW, and that's despite the fact that I've been used to them being in blue all these years. It would be nice to see this set as a mod or an option in game, thus allowing those who are colorblind to still use the original colors.

I can put the changed data files I have here if you are interested. As I was mucking about, I was not so secure in selecting exactly the same khaki color for each file, so it can be done much better. Besides that, we cannot change the color of the grounds units.
If you still want them, I will post them.
Ichirou989

Post by Ichirou989 »

Thank you for offering, that would be great as I really do like Khaki for the British.
A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune.

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

This is khaki colour I use for the vassal module: #EDD1AA (http://www.color-hex.com/color/edd1aa).

Changing the page bitmaps has to be done using a graphics editor (like GIMP), like explained.
Changing the ground units is done in the "../Data/Map Data/Standard Map C{Ma|Mi}.CSV" files.

To change British unit to Khaki do:
1) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
2) look for the string "$00D09000" and change it into "$00AAD1ED"
3) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
4) look for all the CW nations and change the first appearance of the string "$00D09000" on the line into "$00AAD1ED"
Done.

You prolly want to read about the other field and change the colours for the symbol interiors and text on the counters to meet the colour schema.

Be advised that white print text has bad contrast on khaki! The print counter solve this by a outlined font (https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwif ... if-history). Not sure how this could/should be addressed in MWiF
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Ichirou989

Thank you for offering, that would be great as I really do like Khaki for the British.

Somewhere this week I will find the time again to post them. Depends a bit on how this patch behaves. Reading the posts since it was released are promising until now.

I would have challenged Dabrion to do a better job than me, but that would be too easy bait for him [;)][:'(][8|]
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion
This is khaki colour I use for the vassal module: #EDD1AA (http://www.color-hex.com/color/edd1aa).
Changing the page bitmaps has to be done using a graphics editor (like GIMP), like explained.
Changing the ground units is done in the "../Data/Map Data/Standard Map C{Ma|Mi}.CSV" files.
To change British unit to Khaki do:
1) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
2) look for the string "$00D09000" and change it into "$00AAD1ED"
3) open the CMa.CSV file with a text editor.
4) look for all the CW nations and change the first appearance of the string "$00D09000" on the line into "$00AAD1ED" Done.
You prolly want to read about the other field and change the colours for the symbol interiors and text on the counters to meet the colour schema.
Be advised that white print text has bad contrast on khaki! The print counter solve this by a outlined font (https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwif ... if-history). Not sure how this could/should be addressed in MWiF
So if i follow this set of instructions. I can change all the units in the CW Land force pool to Khaki?
"$00AAD1ED" is the code for the color Khaki?
Where do i find a list of codes and colors?
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”