How to get resources using a minor port

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Ncore

How to get resources using a minor port

Post by Ncore »

I do seem to have a problem. Specifically, CW would like to use both of her oil received from NEI (Palembang). For some reason I can't get the program to transport them through Telok Betong minor port. It wants to transport them through a major port, which in turn means they would have to rail through straits to Batavia or Surabaya. And as only one resource can rail through straits the other oil is lost.

I can force the default route to go to Telok Betong, but when I try to set the rest of the route after that (the sea areas) it no longer respects my port designation, but changes the route to go through a major port.

Quite annoying.

Any help?

Attachments
Oil.jpg
Oil.jpg (240.54 KiB) Viewed 68 times
"Why does any advanced civilization seek to destroy a less advanced one? Because the land is strategically valuable, because there are resources that can be cultivated and exploited, but most of all, simply because they can."

G'Kar, Babylon 5
Ncore

RE: How to get resources using a minor port

Post by Ncore »

In addition, it seems the game doesn't update stuff when I hit "Recompute". Sometimes it does, but in some cases it doesn't.

Oh, and this particular screenshot is taken from finalising production. The problem persists through the entire turn (when I try to open production planning).
"Why does any advanced civilization seek to destroy a less advanced one? Because the land is strategically valuable, because there are resources that can be cultivated and exploited, but most of all, simply because they can."

G'Kar, Babylon 5
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Ncore

In addition, it seems the game doesn't update stuff when I hit "Recompute". Sometimes it does, but in some cases it doesn't.

Oh, and this particular screenshot is taken from finalising production. The problem persists through the entire turn (when I try to open production planning).
Did you try to change the route by making the East Indian Ocean the first sea area?

Actually, because the oil is in a coastal hex, it shouldn't need a port to move into the South China Sea.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Even when you set a route starting in the East Indian Ocean, using the route function on the Production Summary screen, the program insists on going first into the South China Sea and then into the East Indian Ocean, using up a convoy point it does not need to. I tried many ways to get the program not to use this route, and could get other routes fixed, but not this one.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That appears to be an issue with recognizing the port as having direct access to both sea zones.
Paul
Ncore

Post by Ncore »

Yep. Tried everything I can think of, starting with selecting South China Sea as the first sea zone, and ending in what's seen above. The resources just refuse to be channelled directly to South China Sea.

In a previous game I started I noticed what Courtenay reported.

I just wish there would a dumbed down version of the resource transporting engine. I could very well channel all the resources step by step myself - if the game didn't fight me trying to route them in bizarre ways and then refuse using the changes I'm trying to make...

G'Kar, Babylon 5
Ncore

Post by Ncore »

I wrote a lengthy response which I lost due to being timed out [:@]

So, here is the response in short.

I am using almost all of the optional rules, except Cruisers in Flames. All necessary CW convoys are in place, and I was setting transport defaults during production: final.

I tried sending one AUS RES to Canada over the Pacific. First it went there fine, but I couldn't save Venezuelan oil to Canada, so I figured I'd set the default for every convoyed resource and oil to "idle" and route them one by one to where I want them, since the program can't route them properly.

First I routed the AUS RES to Canada, and it went fine. But when I started routing CAN RES to UK, they were transported to Canadian factories instead, overruling my earlier default. Why - I have no idea. The default shows (in red) the factory I tried sending them in UK, but they are still being sent to the Canadian factories. There is no "override" selected.

I couldn't get the Canadian factories to use AUS RES again no matter what I did. To my utter frustration I realized I couldn't change ANY resource destination now - no matter what I did, the default didn't change even when I clicked

default -> produce -> (factory I wanted the RES) -> recalculate

The same holds true for the oil received from trade agreements, both Venezuelan and NEI oil. I can't get them to do anything. The computer seems to try sending them to factories, but I can override that sometimes and set them as "idle". But I can't save them anywhere on the map.

So, now I am producing at whopping 7 PPs (AUS, CAN, IND and UK national resources and factories). And I can't send any resources anywhere.

To put it mildly I am frustrated. I paid well over $200 for the game, maps, rule books and shipping. I playtested the Chris Marinacci's version of the game about 16 years ago. Perhaps I should have waited longer to buy MWiF.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud Steve's work and the effort he is putting in for all of us who have waited for this game for so long. [&o]
I am just frustrated at Matrix Games for releasing such a dud.

G'Kar, Babylon 5
Ncore

Post by Ncore »

Oh yes, and Japan still doesn't send the BP to US. I loaded default setups when starting the game, but...

G'Kar, Babylon 5
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Ncore

I do seem to have a problem. Specifically, CW would like to use both of her oil received from NEI (Palembang). For some reason I can't get the program to transport them through Telok Betong minor port. It wants to transport them through a major port, which in turn means they would have to rail through straits to Batavia or Surabaya. And as only one resource can rail through straits the other oil is lost.
I can force the default route to go to Telok Betong, but when I try to set the rest of the route after that (the sea areas) it no longer respects my port designation, but changes the route to go through a major port.

Quite annoying.

Any help?

Both oil should be able to be railed across the straits. There is no restrictions on the number of resources that can be railed across a straits. The restriction is that a resource can't be railed across two straits.

Cut from RAC: 13.6.1 Resources
Transporting resources by rail
You transport a resource to a factory in the production step by railing it from its hex to a usable factory. It
must move along railway lines (roads count as railways for this purpose). It can also cross a straits hexside from one
railway hex to another. Each resource cannot cross more than 1 straits hexsides
Option 12: (Limited access across straits) A resource can’t be transported across a straits if the presence of
enemy units would prevent you tracing an overseas supply path into that sea area (see 2.4.2).
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Ncore

Post by Ncore »

Well seems I've been away from WiF too long, I even got that simple rule wrong [X(]

G'Kar, Babylon 5
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

True on railing them, but that only matters if you want to save them somewhere in Java. Ncore is trying to save one in Singapore and one in India, and as long as he has 2 CPs in each of the South China Sea (or one there and one in the East Indian Ocean) along with one CP in the Bay of Bengal - he should be able to do that.

Unless he's lending a non-oil resource to China, which would take priority over the one CP in the Bay of Bengal, and create a requirement for more there.
Paul
Ncore

Post by Ncore »

Nope, no lending - it's the first turn of Global War.

G'Kar, Babylon 5

Return to “World in Flames”