Use of different SU

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

SunTsu

Use of different SU

Post by SunTsu »

In the manual I have found a sheet that shows the battlestrengh of the differnt units in WitE. Many of the SU have a strenght of "0" - inkluding rockets, artillery and so on. I always was wondering if the plenty of units the SHC player can built, have differnt uses and benefits at the front and whick these are.

Some are clear. Of course, sappers will built or destroy fortlevels. Artillery should destroy fort levels also and minimize the enemy morale. About some units I have read discussions concerning the benefit. For example sappers for the panzers (on the german side) to give them offensive power and flak or MG to give them standing power. But does the computer really take this in account or are these conclusions the result of human consideration only?

The SHC can built such a plenty of SU. Artillery in different sizes, rockets and other stuff. But does the different artillery types (203 mm, 152 mm aso.) have different results in battle and wich are these? Does rockets have different effects on german entrenchments than mortars or artillery? Otherwise a player could only built what has the best strength/buildcosts ratio... And if it is only about the battle strength of a unit, artillery would even be redundant.
loki100

RE: Use of different SU

Post by loki100 »

there are a few Soviet SUs that directly add to the combat value - the maligned motorcycle battalion, ski units and the tank formations.

For the rest, well those who believe in min/max every choice will say build only sappers, then a few more.

There are a few dunces in there, check out the thread that shows the composition of every one. For the most part regiments are better than battalions (they have more organic support).

One way to see what is going on in combat is to set combat resolution to the slowest - at this level the combat report will show you every weapon firing and its effect.

Use the editor and set up a simple test, but put in different SUs. for the most part, rather unscientifically:

a) the main artillery units are always a good use, they hit the enemy artillery and disrupt the enemy (making your attack easier)
b) heavy artillery seems to show up well against heavy trenches - I reckon you see the fort value dip very pleasingly
c) rockets seem to do better on attack than defense
d) AA is good, since air tends to disrupt if you can deter the enemy air you will have less pre-combat disruption

All in all, you can use the full range, but the more extreme SUs (heavy mortars etc) I tend to think need to go to very well chosen formations. In effect use them to make sure your shock armies really can do the role they had historically.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

The one battalion I kind of like to add to Corps late war is a 43 MG/Arty, mainly because 3 sappers every time gets boring but also because the buoldout does seem to be a value add (extra mortars and field guns, among others). Anyone else have thoughts?
morvael

Post by morvael »

I have built all kinds of SUs in numbers that depend on production, pools and free resources. Sometimes I build things for fun, like special SUs (flamethrowers) only for Shock Armies.

I now have 2 artillery regiments, mortar regiment, 2 sapper regiments, separate tank regiment, AA regiment and battalion, RR brigade, AT regiment per Army. I had motorcycle regiments but disbanded them to release some trucks.
Shock Armies get an extra flamethrower battalion and light rocket regiment.
Tank Armies have flame tank regiment instead of separate tank regiment, no RR and no Sappers.

Rifle Corps get light SU regt and sapper regt.
Cav Corps get separate tank regt, medium SU regt and sapper regt.
Tank Corps get medium SU regt and sapper regt.
Mech Corps get heavy tank regt, heavy SU regt and sapper regt.

Of course not all these plans are implemented fully - some are 100%, some are just 60-70% as AP, trucks and TOE problems (medium SU regts not getting new machines) are limits.

Return to “The War Room”