Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for good GHC player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for good GHC player Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 2:08:04 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

The last 3 games ended west of Smolensk on turn 6, 10 and 31 and I don't want to do that anymore. The game before ended because I was too dumb to understand the random weather rules.

Therefore, I'm looking for a good Axis player to play another Grand Campaign. Christmas break is coming up so I will have time.

ONLY NEW PATCH 1.07.12
HOUSE RULES NEGOTIABLE
REDUCED BLIZZARD
VC260
NON-RANDOM WEATHER

Send PM for password.

< Message edited by Bozo_the_Clown -- 12/12/2013 9:56:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 5:47:34 AM   
Pelton

Good luck as I personally only know of 4 good GHC players.

There are another 12ish that are average and if your any good as SHC it will still end very early.

Playing GHC better then average is very very hard.

You have to have an "perfect" opening and then play next to perfect for the next 16 turns.

You then must know how to over come an way way over powered blizzard.

You then have to have a great summer of 42 of which only 1 GHC player has any exp.

You like many of the SHC players I have played go undefeated as SHC, winning 6 or more games so easly the game is almost boring.

Only 2 of the 4 are currently playing so don't hold your breath looking for a game to get into 42.

If you want a real challenge to your gaming skills play GHC.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/12/2013 6:49:23 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to Bozo_the_Clown)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 10:55:46 AM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Good luck

Thanks!

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 9:56:42 PM   
Ketza

You are a better then average SHC player. Pelton is right you will prrobably not find the kind of opponent you need to challenge you. Knowing what I know about the Soviet side it is hard for me to get up the excitement level of playing as Axis. I know how easy it is.

I have lost my innocence

Post #: 4
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 10:07:29 PM   
Michael T

I must say I agree with Pelton here. If you want a challenge play Axis. Equally skilled players matches will end in a solid Soviet win. You will need some HR as well to help the Axis.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 10:13:58 PM   
A game

I have to agree with everyone else... which is a shame, lets hope WitE 2 is better balanced!

I see you still dont like random weather? Not sure why, everyone here would say it handicaps the Axis more than Soviet!

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/12/2013 10:31:34 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Thanks for the remarks. I think I will switch over to the Axis even so this means I have to say goodbye to my paratroopers (sniff, sniff).

(in reply to A game)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 11:14:25 AM   
Pelton

My next game is vs Flaviusx when .13, but once one of the 2 games that looks to be wins ends.

I try 2 play 3 games at a time, so I can start a game with you when one of the two end.

I will play you under this rule set.

41-45 Alt Sudden Death Server game.

non - random weather
HQ Lock
Full FoW
Reduced Blizzard Effects

No HQ and air field spam, 1 bombing attack per turn max.

To retain the threat of paratroop operations, but to bring this within the plausible in terms of Soviet capacity, no drops before November 1941. One a month up to June 1942 and then unlimited. However, you can 'save' drops, so if you don't use one, it can be used in the next month.

No naval invasions before November 1941, none outside the 1939 Soviet borders before January 1943 In addition if Sevastopol is either isolated, or in German hands, none west of the Crimea – which reflects the scope for air/naval interdiction not really reflected in the game.

I am tring to play the better SHC peeps again.

My last round ended in all draws, so hopefully I can go the distance.

Saper, Flaviusx and one more.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/13/2013 12:51:41 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 8
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 12:37:20 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

Thanks for the offer, Pelton. Unfortunately, I can't accept your house rules. I don't find your game play plausible at all so why should I be restricted by rules of plausibility.

I'm a very average player. The only thing I've really figured out in this game is paratroopers. Everything else is a work in progress. Just because I drop a para brigade here or there doesn't make me a good player.

Thanks again for the offer. I'll gladly play you without these house rules.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 12:40:06 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

I can live with the house rule regarding amphibious landings. In return I would ask that pockets must be eliminated before November 41 (with the exception of Leningrad).

Post #: 10
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 1:08:08 PM   
Pelton

Sorry Bozo, but I am sticking to the now standard house rules.

Its hard enough to get a draw vs good SHC players.

I do agree to your Nov pocket rules.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/13/2013 3:14:17 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 11
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 2:39:01 PM   
Flaviusx

Bozo, best way to balance the game out is to ask for random weather...not that Pelton would accept that. (But given the way he's murdering a lot newbies these days he ought to consider. Not very sporting to play a newbie without at least some concessions.)

Paras just lend themselves to way too much cheese which is why most folks (myself included nowadays) roll with restrictions on those. These house rules really are pretty solid between two equal players given the current state of the game.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 2:53:20 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

Bozo, best way to balance the game out is to ask for random weather...not that Pelton would accept that. (But given the way he's murdering a lot newbies these days he ought to consider. Not very sporting to play a newbie without at least some concessions.)

Paras just lend themselves to way too much cheese which is why most folks (myself included nowadays) roll with restrictions on those. These house rules really are pretty solid between two equal players given the current state of the game.

Yes, I think you are correct Flavius. Random weather is a bit like lottery and I seldom win in the lottery but it has at least the potential to make things a little bit more interesting. I fell on my big red nose once playing with random weather but at least I understand the rules and odds now.

Pelton, I accept your house rules if we adopt random weather.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 2:59:52 PM   
Flaviusx

The main thing about random weather is that it introduces uncertainty. The super panzer pushers hate uncertainty, they have everything optimized and planned out several decimal points out. Which against a newbie of course results in terribly lopsided results. So a newbie must take away few of those decimal points and force the veteran panzer pusher to (gasp) actually improvise instead of just merely executing a plan, something that tends not to survive contact with the enemy in real life.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 14
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:08:43 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

The main thing about random weather is that it introduces uncertainty. The super panzer pushers hate uncertainty, they have everything optimized and planned out several decimal points out.

I see it the same way. That was really my original idea for using para brigades so early in the game. They introduce uncertainty.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:18:26 PM   
gingerbread

Except that the 2nd player suffers from more uncertainty than the 1st. The relief the SHC gets T18 in a non-random is immense. The spring thaw weather foreknowledge is really nice for the SHC as well.

Post #: 16
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:19:43 PM   
Flaviusx

Yes, but this is the bad sort of terribly ahistorical uncertainty. The para rules in WITE are so loose and so full of holes that you can drive a truck through them. They leave a very bad taste in my mouth at least.

Random weather not only introduces uncertainty but actually is more historical than non random weather. It wasn't all sunshine all the time from June to October in real life, after all.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 17
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:22:55 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

Except that the 2nd player suffers from more uncertainty than the 1st. The relief the SHC gets T18 in a non-random is immense. The spring thaw weather foreknowledge is really nice for the SHC as well.

It's all about momentum in that first summer and anything that breaks up the momentum helps the Soviet. Too many games are being decided in that first year by these incredible advances by vets against newbies. The game is practically over before it starts.

Now in the long run, yes, random weather evens out and it is not clear who gains the most from it. But in the long run we're all dead and the long run is moot if you cannot get beyond that first summer intact.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:29:35 PM   
gingerbread

Not disagreeing if the conditions is vet vs newbie, but I still think in vet vs vet, the GHC gains from random.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:34:14 PM   
SigUp

quote:

Not disagreeing if the conditions is vet vs newbie, but I still think in vet vs vet, the GHC gains from random.

I'm not a vet, but I tend not to agree with that statement. In the long run the weather evens out in my opinion, provided both sides get out of 1941 and the winter even. It can severely hurt the Soviets, but also mess up when the German side for example severely needs mud after a Soviet breakthrough.

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:42:44 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

1 bombing attack per turn max.

Since we are talking about house rules. Isn't the above house rule totally ahistorical and implausible? Wouldn't it make more sense to at least limit air attacks to ONE ATTACK PER FRONT?

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:45:23 PM   
Flaviusx

Problem is bombing spam is even more ahistorical and can be used to game the system in far too many ways. I used to limit myself to a maximum of 3 bombing attacks and even that may be too much. Let's be perfectly frank here: the air system has problems. On demand air missions are a recipe for infinite mischief. Limitations on bombing are a rough and ready way to address that, however inadequately.

Now one attack per front is too restrictive imo. (Also, too Soviet specific, since the Axis doesn't have fronts.)

I think Pelton meant to say per hex here, btw.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 12/13/2013 4:50:18 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 22
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:45:27 PM   
gingerbread

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

I'm not a vet, but I tend not to agree with that statement. In the long run the weather evens out in my opinion, provided both sides get out of 1941 and the winter even. It can severely hurt the Soviets, but also mess up when the German side for example severely needs mud after a Soviet breakthrough.

Well, I agree that the rolls for weather evens out, but what is left is the GHC's foreknowledge of what the weather will be during the opponents next turn, which with random weather, the SHC does not know. That's why random favours the player moving 1st in the turn.

< Message edited by gingerbread -- 12/13/2013 4:47:23 PM >

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 23
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:46:47 PM   
SigUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

1 bombing attack per turn max.

Since we are talking about house rules. Isn't the above house rule totally ahistorical and implausible? Wouldn't it make more sense to at least limit air attacks to ONE ATTACK PER FRONT?

If he's gotten that rule from mine and loki's game (like the paratrooper or amphibious one), then a clarification:

It is meant for a limit of one attack on an airfield per turn, after the initial day bombings.#

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SigUp

quote:

Well, I agree that the rolls for weather evens out, but what is left is the GHC's foreknowledge of what the weather will be during the opponents next turn, which with random weather, the SHC does not know. That's why random favours the player moving 1st in the turn.

I don't see this as drastical from 1943 on when the Soviets have the initiative. Then the German side can't really exploit that advantage.

< Message edited by SigUp -- 12/13/2013 4:49:21 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:51:42 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

If he's gotten that rule from mine and loki's game (like the paratrooper or amphibious one), then a clarification:

It is meant for a limit of one attack on an airfield per turn, after the initial day bombings.#

That makes more sense. Limiting the entire air-force to one attack per turn would be rather silly.

< Message edited by Bozo_the_Clown -- 12/13/2013 4:54:14 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 25
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:53:27 PM   
Flaviusx

See my edited post, am pretty sure he intended that to read as one attack per hex per turn. As written, the rule hurts the Luftwaffe at least as badly as the Red Air Force.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 26
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:53:44 PM   
Pelton

Random weather only effects are

1.industry evac Vs poor to average SHC players, because good SHC they are going to get it out anyways.

2. AGN north between turns 2-5 turns.

No real effect in center or south because your going to get to Don no matter who you play - MT and Flaviusx being best SHC and its a little more work, but you get to the same finish line vs them as a newbie. Supply chain being limiting factor.

Its against my better judgement, but ok.

I am currently doing 3 games so this one will take a back seat until one of the other 2 I am winning handly ends.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to SigUp)
Post #: 27
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:54:07 PM   
Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

one attack per hex per turn

Also makes sense. Would have to be clarified.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 28
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:56:00 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

quote:

one attack per hex per turn

Also makes sense. Would have to be clarified.

Sorry per hex or unit.

2 HQ's in a hex then 2 attacks 1 unit one attack

< Message edited by Pelton -- 12/13/2013 4:58:23 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 29
RE: Looking for good GHC player - 12/13/2013 3:56:57 PM   
Pelton

One last thing you can do the AAR, I might do a 42-45.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Opponents Wanted >> Looking for good GHC player Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI