New Scenario: Facing the Dragon

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Tomcat84

New Scenario: Facing the Dragon

Post by Tomcat84 »

This is a scenario I've also been working on for some time and that has been available in various iterations in Closed Beta. I think it is about ready for the last round of public testing before I feel happy to have it included in the Community pack.

Here is the scenario description:

Background
Over the past couple of months, internal struggles in China have seen a shift in the political leadership towards a more conservative, communist direction. This has led to a rising tension concerning Taiwan, with threatening rhetoric increasing in recent weeks.

With the west only just finished with yet another military intervention, this one in Syria, China feels bold enough to make a military gamble, a long awaited but never expected armed conflict with Taiwan.
In recent days the situation has escalated severely, with several armed clashes among ships and also near the Spratley islands. All signs point to China attempting to find an excuse to go to war. The sinking of a Chinese frigate yesterday by Taiwanese vessels returning fire seems to have done it, with China claiming it as unprovoked in the UN security council and demanding measures against Taiwan. The western nations are not buying it and claim to have evidence of Chinese subversion, leaving the UN a divided body.
China was banking on a lack of response due to the UN's inflexibility and supposed American war weariness, and although the USA's deployment scope is limited right now, unexpected allies have come to Taiwan's aid, with Japan, Singapore, Australia and Korea all deploying assets. A hastily assembled Rapid Response Force has quickly deployed to Taiwan and is about to begin assisting the Taiwanese in defensive operations.
China has lost its planned window of surprise, but political pride proves to be too strong to stop events set in motion, and they hope to be able to still overwhelm the assembled force and quickly force the issue.

Scenario Author notes
This scenario is not necessarily intended to be an accurate recreation of what a real Chinese attack would look like. It focuses specifically on an air war only aspect, and intends to see how a clash of modern generation fighters might play out. In addition you only control 2 of the 4 FAORs in order to keep things somewhat manageable. You will find that the Chinese SAM threat has a reduced reach over the straits, there is no naval element, nor are there hordes of ballistic missiles flying. This is pure air warfare. The all out conflict will have to wait for a future installment. View this as a warmup :)
One important instruction, be sure to turn OFF the "Scenario Events" toggle in Game Options -> Message log, or you will get unrealistic SA about events that control the enemy AI.

----

Known issues:
The AI controlled friendlies in FAOR A/B behave in an unrealistic way. Their aircraft arent grouped so they singly go criss cross through the air space due to the way the Patrol missions worked. Additionally, because they ae set to not engage outside their area, they might patrol RIGHT up to the northwest border, be within 10 miles of a hostile who is still outside the area, but not attack him yet until he enters Again devs, I'd love it if I could have patrol missions with 2 steerpoints (or more for an area) as a CAP leg that is patrolled, and then set a separate area as the "commit area" and if something enters the commit area, they will leave their patrol leg and start to engage. Fixes both problems!

Opinions on whether or not i should just remove the FAOR A/B activity or leave it as is are welcome.

Another issue: there seems to be something up with either the Ferry mission or Taipei AF but it takes the F-15s a LONG time to actually land. Maybe setting Taipei as homebase and manually ordering RTB will be more efficient, not sure.

Please post any and all comments or criticism you have. Did you enjoy it, was it easy, had, stupid etc. All critiques welcome! Thanks

And if you can post your score and your losses & expenditures too!

Latest version attached, updated for 1.06.

Attachments
facingthedragon.zip
(349.41 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )
Tomcat84

RE: New Scenario: Facing the Dragon

Post by Tomcat84 »

Anybody? :)

Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Probably time to release [:)]
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

bump
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

I was hoping for something regarding engagement areas to be implemented, see this thread:
tm.asp?m=3505111

And until such thing was implemented and I could rewrite my AI allied patrol behavior leave it out of the community pack but available separately here as it is now. However, if you tell me it will be a while before something can be implemented (which is fine of course, I know how busy you guys are), I might try to tweak the AI a bit and call it good for now. So either way not yet as it sits here now :)

NickD

Post by NickD »

Interesting scenario, but it's not very likely that Australia would deploy combat forces to Taiwan (if war with China was on the cards, ADF assets wouldn't be placed in such a risky position). I imagine that the USAF would attempt to operate its F-22s out of Okinawa rather then deploy them to the more vulnerable air bases in Taiwan as well given how valuable these are.
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Have tweaked this one now that my requested awesome prosecution areas are implemented [&o][&o][&o]

Main tweaks:
- gave everybody a proficiency setting
- massively tweaked the southern AI FAOR settings for better looking AI patrols
- brought the SA-20s closer but gave them a prosecution area to give them higher PK shots close to the Chinese coast.
- deleted a lot of idle aircraft on the enemy sides that were just sitting at airfields but not actually being used, reduced AU count by about 20-25%
- Ungrouped the Chinese air defense to hopefully increase performance.

If anyone feels like (re)playing this one and seeing if i've screwed anything up, it'd be great.

Otherwise it should soon finally be ready for inclusion in the community scenario package [:)]

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Minor update for 1.06. See initial post or attached here. Should be in the next update of the community pack for 1.06 as well
Attachments
facingthedragon.zip
(349.41 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Maromak

Post by Maromak »

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

If anyone feels like (re)playing this one and seeing if i've screwed anything up, it'd be great.

Count me in!
Certa Cito
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Let me know how it goes! Thanks!

tommo8993

Post by tommo8993 »

Score was 244, Major victory.
I loved seeing the swarms of jets. I also found it cool how the would form up over their bases before attacks. Overall its still a great scenario, please make more :)

SIDE: PLAAF
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
16x J-11 Flanker B [Su-27SK Copy]
16x J-7G Fishbed
16x J-8F Finback B
24x J-10A Vigorous Dragon
16x JH-7A Flounder
8x Su-30MKK Flanker G
12x Su-30MKK2 Flanker G
20x H-6E Badger
4x J-11B Flanker B [Su-27SK Copy]
4x Y-8G Cub [High New 4]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
37x AA-10 Alamo C [R-27RE, LR SARH]
262x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
2x PL-8 [Python 3]
3x 30mm Type 30-1 Burst [20 rnds]
22x SA-20b Gargoyle [48N6E2]
15x PL-12
1x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
24x AA-12 Adder A [R-77, RVV-AE]
1x AA-11 Archer [R-73M1]

SIDE: FAORs C-D

LOSSES:
4x Mirage 2000-5
3x IDF Ching-Kuo [F-CK-1A]
3x F-15C Eagle

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
94x MICA EM
80x Sky Sword II
11x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
42x AIM-120D AMRAAM P3I.4
2x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
67x AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM P3I.3
105x AIM-120C-5 AMRAAM P3I.2
8x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
14x Generic Chaff Salvo [8x Cartridges]
1x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
3x Sky Sword I

SIDE: FAORs A-B

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
20x AAM-4B Kai [Type 99]
19x AIM-120C-5 AMRAAM P3I.2
20x AIM-120C-7 AMRAAM P3I.3

SIDE: RoCAF

LOSSES:
2x Mirage 2000-5

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: PLAAN

LOSSES:
12x JH-7A Flounder
8x J-8F Finback B
6x J-10AH Vigorous Dragon

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
55x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
13x PL-12

magi

Post by magi »

ita a air slug fest.... just fun yup....
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

Well paced. Major Victory. Lost 11 birds. Good Management of your long-medium-short range shooters are a must. The F-22's did very well.

This was a lot of fun!!
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Glad you guys like it! Maybe check out some of my other scenarios if you go through the link i my signature. I'd appreciate any feedback :) Thanks!

ORIGINAL: tommo8993

I loved seeing the swarms of jets. I also found it cool how the would form up over their bases before attacks. Overall its still a great scenario, please make more :)

Cool! Yeah the forming up was high tech scenedit work with activating and inactivating missions before we had stuff like we do now with Lua. [:)]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”