Max Number of Races?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Hannable

Max Number of Races?

Post by Hannable »

I've been putting together my own "supermod" made up from all of the mods being offered here (Thanks for all that work, btw!)

I thought it would be interesting to see BSG and Klingons go at it or some such. At any rate, given all of the races out there, including the ones in Distant World Expanded, I'm wondering if there is a maximum number of races we can add to the game? I don't want to blow it up due to overcrowding and bad immigration policies! [8D]
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
ehsumrell1

RE: Max Number of Races?

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Hannable;

50 races is the usual maximum that won't create any big bangs! But it is dependent also
upon your computer configuration. High-end rigs have no problems where older single-core
or even low-end duel core machines might implode.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

Great, thanks. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere in the modder's guide but when I went back to make sure, I couldn't find it.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in a ship name .txt document, I'll have one ready soon. It uses authentic ship names from every navy in the world, especially useful for humans as I'm pretty certain the Shakturi wouldn't have a carrier named Ronald Reagan. [;)]

So far it has around 10,000 ship names, even for freighters and passenger ships, resupply - pretty much all of them except for colony ships (that don't stay in the game long anyway).
"Only one human captain has survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else." - Delenn of Minbar
Solarius Scorch

Post by Solarius Scorch »

Implying that Shakturi would name their ship "Ronald Reagan" would be a heavy political message. :D
Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!
Fenrisfil

Post by Fenrisfil »

ORIGINAL: Hannable

I've been putting together my own "supermod" made up from all of the mods being offered here (Thanks for all that work, btw!)

I thought it would be interesting to see BSG and Klingons go at it or some such. At any rate, given all of the races out there, including the ones in Distant World Expanded, I'm wondering if there is a maximum number of races we can add to the game? I don't want to blow it up due to overcrowding and bad immigration policies! [8D]

If your not too far into it yet it may be worth holding on for a bit. I actually have a similar mod about ready for release. It's not a compilation as I did most races from scratch, though it includes some ship images from other mods. It does cover Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, Babylon 5, Doctor Who and a number of other franchises. Of course you may prefer to do your own one (especially if you want to include vanilla/expanded races), but it would probably save you a lot of work to just use/or modify mine.

If you want a beta version send me a personal message and I'll upload it for you. Currently my plan is to release it properly after the next expansion is out as word is it will introduce greater mod capabilities. Currently at 34 races btw (with no vanilla DW species).
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, 64bit Windows 7, Radeon HD6900.
Hannable

Post by Hannable »

Hmmm ... yeah I might hold off then and see what yours is like.

Though I'll probably still tinker just so I can figure out how to mod and what I'm doing wrong.

But it would be nice to spend more time playing and less time modding.

Return to “Design and Modding”