Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

aviation support

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> aviation support Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
aviation support - 12/7/2013 1:59:55 AM   
Rexor

When I look at Pearl and see aviation support of "300 + 112", what's the "+112" coming from?

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
Post #: 1
RE: aviation support - 12/7/2013 2:16:46 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rexor

When I look at Pearl and see aviation support of "300 + 112", what's the "+112" coming from?

Seaplane tenders.

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 2
RE: aviation support - 12/7/2013 2:48:54 AM   
Rexor

Ahhh. Cheers.

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3
RE: aviation support - 12/7/2013 12:05:54 PM   
Sardaukar

Remember that seaplane tenders can support only seaplanes and amphibious planes. AvSupport can support both.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Rexor)
Post #: 4
RE: aviation support - 12/7/2013 1:31:33 PM   
dr.hal

An interesting divide as I am guessing that the support represents not only a mechanic (which can quickly move from one type of aircraft to another) but also parts support (which can not do so easily). Is that the logic used behind this barrier?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 5
RE: aviation support - 12/7/2013 3:21:17 PM   
Numdydar

My understanding is that seaplanes require a differnt level of support than landbases AC. So the Navy designed special ships that would follow the seaplanes around so they could land anywhere.

As a pilot and have been around AC mechinics, they do not work like plumbers or auto mechnics. One size does not fit all. An AC mechanic is very specilized and can only work on specific AC. So a mechanic that can repair a B17 cannot work on a PBY as the systems are too different. However, the game assumes that all ground based AC support contains all the right types to work on whatever planes happen to be there. Not very realisitic given one day turns, but imagine if you had support for each type of AC in the game that had to be at an AF for the planes to fly lol.

The difference in game terms for Seaplanes to be different is beacuse everything the seaplane needs, mechnics included, was on a ship, not on land. So technically, seaplanes should not be able to fly at all unless a tender was in the base hex. It was felt that the seaplanes were different enough of a plane type to warrent a special support class just for them. Which I think was a good call as seaplanes are different enough to not be lumped into the 'any plane, any support will do' group .

I hope this helps.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 6
RE: aviation support - 12/8/2013 6:53:42 PM   
packerpete

I thought is was a more realistic way to represent the capability of the seaplane. It is pretty difficult to ship a small detachment with supplies and land them somewhere and fly aircraft all in one day.

That being said, I wish they would put some kind of limit on how many sorties that one ship can support. It used to be that the AV's and AVD's had to have supplies loaded and would draw from them as normal sorties on land would. Now I think they are limitless. Am I correct on this assumption?

< Message edited by packerpete -- 12/8/2013 7:57:33 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> aviation support Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI