Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trial by Fire Beta Test

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Trial by Fire Beta Test Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trial by Fire Beta Test - 11/28/2013 7:59:28 AM   
RangerX3X

The following scenario is an alternative history engagement between the United States Marine Corps and the German Wehrmacht. The Allies are represented by elements of the 3rd Marine Division of the I Marine Amphibious Corps while the Axis is represented by elements of a Fortress Garrison Regiment supported by a Penal Battalion. The Germans have the advantage as they hold the key objectives and can employ heavy artillery against the river insertion by the Marines.

One of the direct purposes of this scenario is to test the fighting ability of the Marines while simulating an amphibious landing. In this case, they are coming ashore on the north bank of the Rhine and their insertion is by way of the “Bad Para” Arrival Type in the Scenario Editor. This greatly reduces the unit’s cohesion and recovery rate, initial firepower (within the first hour), increases dispersion and heavy casualties if not arriving on smooth terrain (this is why they are landing on polder).

German Deployment

As mentioned above the Germans have the advantage in this scenario from the outset: they are in position on the key objectives and are not suffering any adverse deployment effects. Furthermore, all of their forces are situated on the north bank where the objectives are located at. Reinforcements come on day two (but can be disabled by selecting no reinforcements). These units consist of StuG III G’s and StuH 42’s.

American Deployment

The Marines are in a unique position in that a large part of their forces are situated on the south bank of the Rhine and have no way of making it across to secure any of the objectives. It is up to the player on how best to utilize these support forces to make a positive impact on the battle, however I do have the following tips:

Use the recon company and the infantry battalion to stand guard along the bank: they can spot for artillery and actually will fire across the river onto the other side, as well as deflect artillery fire away from the landing forces
Attach an AT platoon (4 37mm M6 anti-tank guns) to each battalion that you will be using to attack the objectives (these forces will arrive when the regimental HQ lands)

Download

Marine Corps 2.0 (this mod is required for the scenario to be played)
Scenario and Map Files

I intend to keep this scenario in a beta state for two weeks to allow for input: any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Trial by Fire Beta Test - 11/28/2013 5:42:40 PM   
RangerX3X

After-action Report (Short Version)

For me this is a very difficult scenario to play as the Marines: they are bombarded on the initial landing and pressed against the Rhine by the German forces to such an extent that breaking out to the objectives further away from Welie (misspelled as Welle in the scenario) is a formidable task.

I've found that it is beneficial to take the first battalion that lands and immediately smash them against the Welie Objective in an attempt to clear some space to allow the other battalions to move along the road that runs parallel to the Rhine so as to get to forming-up points for the other two objectives.

Clearing Welie is absolutely key to having a positive outcome, from my testing.

After-action Report

Review Final Situation

Updated post to reflect my last play test: I had 5,667 Marines left at the end of the scenario, of which 2,514 were on the north bank of the Rhine. There was some time where I held all three objectives, however the Axis forces pressed hard and made me work for every single Victory Point.

"Trial by Fire" is appropriate as there was a horrific amount of casualties caused by bombardment: 436 losses for the Axis and 358 for the Allies, for a total of 794 personnel casualties.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 2
RE: Trial by Fire Beta Test - 12/12/2013 11:01:39 PM   
RangerX3X

The scenario has gone through some revisions and is being released:

Trial by Fire

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Trial by Fire Beta Test Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI