Matrix Games Forums

Players compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta EstDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 2:02:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I hadn't actually played through the Fast Start scenario for Barbarossa. So I thought I would take a break from debugging and run through a turn. No real surprises.

The screenshot is of the very beginning of the second turn.

Big events:
1 - von Leeb got disorganized attacking Brest-Litovsk. So did his little group of co-attackers.
2 - The 2 Russian infantry in Lithuania near the coast dodged three ground strikes in the first 3 German impulses. On impulse 7 the Germans attacked them anyway and walked away unscathed.
3 - The two best units in the Russian army (an armor and a mechanized) were disorganized in a first impulse ground strike. They sat there looking pitiful for a long time until a German armor group worth 34 factors put them out of their misery.
4 - Without von Leeb to help, von Bock had to decide whether to go north or east. He went north which caused Novgorod to be taken. But a couple of infantry near Smolensk wandered too far afield. The turn ended and with a reroll the USSR is moving first.
5 - Russian has a decent shot at holding the Dnieper. The 7-4 from Odessa can run back to help and a cavalry in Sevastopol is also available. The German armor in the south is pretty nasty though. And Germany still has its O-Chit.
6 - If the Russian counterattack on the two elite German units near Smolensk works out, the USSR might be able to scrape together some units for a defense along the northern Dnieper too.
7 - But the far north is looking really bad. There's nothing up there to stop von Bock flanking the Smolensk position by circling around to the north of Lake Ilmen.
8 - Leningrad has 11 strength factors. That's nice, but splitting them up to stop van Bock would be a bad idea.

My conclusion is that if Germany is very careful about what attacks to NOT do, they can push holes through the Russian line and make pretty good progress in the first turn. The weather stayed Fine, which helped, and the turn ran for 11 impulses. But that is fairly typical. I had the USSR pass at one point, unsuccessfully. The next impulse they had to move units.

There are more Russian reinforcements off the eastern edge of the map. They'll rail into cities during the second turn. Like most Barbarossa games (not just WIF) the Russians look pretty pathetic at the end of a turn, but okay at the start of the next turn. In this game, I think the Germans would chew them up in the coming turn. Whether the USSR can survive until the 3 turn is the real question. After that the weather should be a big help. The USSR also has it O-Chit available.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Post #: 1
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 3:47:10 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Here's the destroed pool at the end of the first turn. There was a bloody air-to-air combat where of the 4 dies rolls a 17, 18, and 19 were rolled.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 2
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 1:32:04 PM   
Klydon

Impressive first turn!

It appears I have more work to do on refining tactics as I never got anywhere close to this result.

Thanks for sharing.

Post #: 3
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 3:43:37 PM   
capitan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Impressive first turn!

It appears I have more work to do on refining tactics as I never got anywhere close to this result.

Thanks for sharing.

That depends on how you see it, Steve is also playing the russians ;-)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 4
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 3:51:17 PM   
lecrop

Solitaire is fun, you lose and win at the same time

(in reply to capitan)
Post #: 5
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 7:33:01 PM   
Zorachus99

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop

Solitaire is fun, you lose and win at the same time

No emotional involvement :)

Wait until you are playing a human, and see hundreds of hours of play on the line.

I dare you to be emotionally uninvolved :)

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 6
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/27/2013 11:54:11 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Impressive first turn!

Thanks for sharing.

Ooze through the line to put the Russians out of supply. Then if the Russians decide to retreat, they become disorganized; ooze around them again and their strength drops to 1 or 3 per unit. If they don't move, surround them with your weakest units and try a weak ground strike each impulse until they are disorganized and become worth 1 (or 3) strength points. That enables all those weak units surrounding them can mop them up. This tactic takes several impulses to implement but it means all the Germans stay organized, including the HQs.

Meanwhile armor and mechanized units select a fairly weak victim and pound it out of existence. You should have fighter cover for those attacks to discourage the USSR from sending in ground support and screwing up your attack odds.

The Germans don't need to hurry. Once the Russian units are eliminated or static (all the reserve units are static/disorganized), the Germans are free to choose where they want to go and whom they want to attack.

The problem for the USSR is that they can't really afford to have half their army pinned down/eliminated. The front is too broad, and it gets wider as they retreat - all those lovely clear terrain hexes in the south. Yum!

Steve

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 7
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/28/2013 5:39:20 PM   
brian brian

I hope this excellent-so-far game moves forward today, since it is a holiday in the country of the player. Even if the actual AAR doesn't move yet.

This has been a very good example of what _can_ happen to the Russians on the first turn of Barbarossa in World in Flames, if the Germans get a lot of what we call "Hitler Weather" when playing. (Historical Barbarossa was partially delayed by a rainy May, 1941, I believe, among other concerns). If the Germans focus on keeping their units organized, they accomplish more and more each impulse as the number of Russian defenders decrease.

After a powerful opening like this, the Barbarossa scenario becomes a fascinating game of cat and mouse somewhat, as the Russians have to work hard to carefully hold what they need for victory, with limited means to do so. They can't just simply form a strong line on the Dnepr and force the Germans to smash through it somehow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post #: 8
RE: End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa - 11/28/2013 11:10:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I hope this excellent-so-far game moves forward today, since it is a holiday in the country of the player. Even if the actual AAR doesn't move yet.

This has been a very good example of what _can_ happen to the Russians on the first turn of Barbarossa in World in Flames, if the Germans get a lot of what we call "Hitler Weather" when playing. (Historical Barbarossa was partially delayed by a rainy May, 1941, I believe, among other concerns). If the Germans focus on keeping their units organized, they accomplish more and more each impulse as the number of Russian defenders decrease.

After a powerful opening like this, the Barbarossa scenario becomes a fascinating game of cat and mouse somewhat, as the Russians have to work hard to carefully hold what they need for victory, with limited means to do so. They can't just simply form a strong line on the Dnepr and force the Germans to smash through it somehow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks.

I wasn't planning on progressing this any farther. Mainly my concern was for whether the Germans doing poorly was caused by the setup and optional rules in the Fast Start Barbarossa or whether new players were still learning the ropes. I don't really have the time to play the game - never have actually in the past 8 years. That's weird, isn't it.

Edit: By the way, the setups for both sides could have been much better, in my opinion.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/29/2013 12:12:06 AM >

Steve

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> End of 1st Turn of Barbarossa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI