LOS\LOF change needed with regards to City and Towns?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

wodin

LOS\LOF change needed with regards to City and Towns?

Post by wodin »

Playing the first scenario of the USA campaign this "issue" is very obvious. Being able to shoot (ground warfare here obviously not air or arty) across several hexes of City and town terrain just doesn't seem right..even if your on a higher elevation. I think for City hexes it should only be possible to shoot into the next City hex and no further. Or if you outside the city only the first perimeter hex. I think only if your two levels higher should you be able to shoot over the hexes and even then I think you should only def see units on the other side of the City and any units inside should be very hard to spot.

Maye a town hex you have to be one elevation higher and city two before you can spot across to the otherside.

This would make the game feel more realistic and add to the gameplay\tactics. It would mean Inf is better inside a City than a tank as you don't want close range fighting as the USA in tanks, but Inf would come into their own and it would feel more like close combat City fighting. Sometimes it feels abit sci fi and your shooting projectiles that are able to home in.

Still love the game though:)
TheWombat_matrixforum

RE: LOS\LOF change needed with regards to City and Towns?

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Hard to say. What you say seems pretty logical, but then, a lot of stuff is logical with 500m hexes. Built up areas as shown on these maps, at this scale, might be fairly low, with a lot of two or three story buildings, given that most of the maps don't have major conurbations. Then again, maybe there are church steeples and stuff. It's kind of abstracted, so I could see either what you are suggesting, or the current system working, though I do wonder whether infantry is getting enough benefit from towns/cities.

If you want to see urban or town fighting, though not at this level of intensity, that involves tanks, ATGMs, etc., take a look at some of the videos on places like LiveLeak.org, from Syria. Tons of videos of man vs. tank engagements, and lots that show people fighting across built up areas. Admittedly, Syrian architecture tends towards flat roofed square buildings, but even where the buildings are probably higher than in Germany there seems to be plenty of long-range lines of fire. Not sure how relevant it is, but it does show the complexity of what they're trying to simulate here.

But yeah, I'm in favor of whatever tweaks are necessary to adjust the "feel" so it's right, but that might be different for everyone of course.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah but here you have tanks shooing out to 2000m or more in built up areas. I expect all the Syrian Tank fighting in Cities would occur within a hex.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yeah but here you have tanks shooing out to 2000m or more in built up areas. I expect all the Syrian Tank fighting in Cities would occur within a hex.

The ATGM and RPG ranges vary, from what I've seen, but then, I'm no expert in estimating ranges, either. There's very little tank on tank fighting there. What I do see though is teams of infantry with support weapons firing at pretty long ranges across cities, from upper stories often. Whether that's relevant to 1980s Germany is another story altogether, of course.

In this game, a platoon of four tanks firing from a hill across two kilometers of city into a city hex may well be unrealistic--or it might be fine, depending on how you want to abstract it I guess. I wonder if anyone has any actual data on these sorts of things? When have modern tanks fought in built-up areas like this?

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”