Carrier Planes Question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

WIF_Killzone

Carrier Planes Question

Post by WIF_Killzone »

I'm a little confused, here's the scenario:

Playing Brute Force solitaire. At the start of the game I was able to select carrier planes, TRON presented me with many planes ranging from 1-5 (I.e the carrier they would fit on), I selected a broad range...when I select some, TRON says something to the effect if you choose this one you cant choose any more of this size. No problem TRON, I have a strategy, i'll pick a few big ones (5) even tho they wont fit on a carrier, yet, I'll use them as land based air until those lazy a$$ ship builders build a worthy carrier to fit it. Here's the issues, and questions:

1) Why once I chose a 5 did it remove 2-3's from the list (that wasn't part of my perfect strategy)
as I now have carriers with no planes--I didn't expect TRON to remove the others that were not of the same size so I couldn't pick them (I should of picked them first obviously
2) When I place the 5's why cant I fly them in naval air, etc. Will they not activate or can I not fly carrier planes from land (i.e without a carrier--we used to play that way on table top many revisions ago--were we cheating?)
3) I have noticed that some fighters just will not let me select them in certain hexes to assist with naval combat or even naval air--can they not fly without supply--a Malta fighter for example, it doesn't say it is out of supply although there are no conv or friendlies in its sea zone. Another time I clicked and clicked and nothing yet later all of a sudden I was able to select the unit to move-rebase, I couldn't see any reason why I couldn't select it earlier and now I could--the unit had an air to sea rating of one, was just south of Brisbane, obviously in supply, but I couldn't select him in any phase, maybe activity limits, but I don't think so.

Any insight would be appreciated
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Carrier Planes Question

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

I'm a little confused, here's the scenario:

Playing Brute Force solitaire. At the start of the game I was able to select carrier planes, TRON presented me with many planes ranging from 1-5 (I.e the carrier they would fit on), I selected a broad range...when I select some, TRON says something to the effect if you choose this one you cant choose any more of this size. No problem TRON, I have a strategy, i'll pick a few big ones (5) even tho they wont fit on a carrier, yet, I'll use them as land based air until those lazy a$$ ship builders build a worthy carrier to fit it. Here's the issues, and questions:

1) Why once I chose a 5 did it remove 2-3's from the list (that wasn't part of my perfect strategy)
as I now have carriers with no planes--I didn't expect TRON to remove the others that were not of the same size so I couldn't pick them (I should of picked them first obviously
2) When I place the 5's why cant I fly them in naval air, etc. Will they not activate or can I not fly carrier planes from land (i.e without a carrier--we used to play that way on table top many revisions ago--were we cheating?)
3) I have noticed that some fighters just will not let me select them in certain hexes to assist with naval combat or even naval air--can they not fly without supply--a Malta fighter for example, it doesn't say it is out of supply although there are no conv or friendlies in its sea zone. Another time I clicked and clicked and nothing yet later all of a sudden I was able to select the unit to move-rebase, I couldn't see any reason why I couldn't select it earlier and now I could--the unit had an air to sea rating of one, was just south of Brisbane, obviously in supply, but I couldn't select him in any phase, maybe activity limits, but I don't think so.

Any insight would be appreciated
Carrier air units can only fly missions if they are on carriers, and the carriers are at sea.

Players had been abusing the carrier air units (as you intended to do) treating them the same as land based air units. Harry Rowland (from Australian Design Group) changed the rule many years ago.

The only time you can fly carrier air units when they are not on carriers is during the rebase phase.

The choice of air units during setup is a little tricky. See page 105ff in the Players Manual volume 2.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

1) In short, you get to choose a certain amount of each type of plane. The numbers under the counters i.e. 3/7 for fighters, indicate that you get to choose any 3 of the 7 displayed. You'll notice that as you put them in a stack or on the map, the first number decreases. You confirm the last one you choose as being final and the remaining 4 that you didn't are removed from the setup tray. So for 2/3, you'd choose which 2 of the 3 you will set up.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Ctrl-Left-Click on a unit that is still in the Setup Tray 'undoes' the selection.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”